fishing locally.. in San Felipe, North Sea of Cortez, Baja (Update 9/16)

Started by steelfish, May 09, 2014, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

UPDATE WITH A NEW FISHING TRIP SEP 16th

not many great fishes this time but it was enough to try the Baja Special on the Baja waters and be happy to have one of this great reels.

this medium sized Curvina (WSB) no more than 12# was hauled (literally) from 320ft deep plus a 16oz lead (thats what was read on the fish finder screen), we were after a good Baqueta fish or a Black bass on those deeps but those fished never appeared, but we got some nice school size YT, Cabrillas, WSB, few sierras and some others critters that live in the deep, none of those was a problem to the good ole Penn Baja Special.

let me introduce you on the the 5 island on this place called "the enchanted islands" on the midriff aread on Sea of Cortez.
the name of this one is "La Isla del Muerto" (dead corpse island), with little imagination and looking the black silhouette you will know why.

hope to test this reel with a bigger fish soon.

The Baja Guy

Steve-O

Great reports! Just read the whole thread and really enjoyed the pics and reports. Sounds like the perfect place to have a kayak to fish off of. Thanks for sharing.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Steve-O on September 18, 2015, 02:51:17 AM
Great reports! Just read the whole thread and really enjoyed the pics and reports. Sounds like the perfect place to have a kayak to fish off of. Thanks for sharing.

This area in the far north of the Sea of Cortez is famous for huge tidal range and dramatic currents on the change of the tide. It would be interesting yakking for sure.  ;)

Aiala

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 18, 2015, 03:24:10 PM
It would be interesting yakking for sure.  ;)

Mm-hm... especially if you ran into one of the local gran tiburón blanco.   :o

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

thanks Steve for taking the time to read the whole thread, glad you liked it.
there are some places locally and 1hr drive south (on a perfect pavement road) that is almost a paradise for kayaking, snorkeling, paddling, etc.
from San Felipe aread (where I live) to 2hrs south all the beaches are full of Gringo's houses, most of them retired that like the easy, calm and relaxing living way of this area that is way under populated, the desert mets the sea with nice sandy beaches and calm warm waters.
if you plan a visit here on the months of oct-april you wont regret it ever.

This area in the far north of the Sea of Cortez is famous for huge tidal range and dramatic currents on the change of the tide. It would be interesting yakking for sure.  ;)

the more North the bigger the tide, in zone places the Sea is gone for about 3/4 mile away, you can walk on the sea floor, harvest cocktel size clams, sea stars, etc
the current is strong for fishing, but comes and go really slowly, you will never get trapped if the tide is coming while you walking back to the beach, while Kayaking as long as you are not navigating on the waves and you keep paddling few yards away in the sea you are 100% safe, or you can always drive 1hr south to where the islands are located and dont worry about currents and tides

Quote from: Aiala on September 18, 2015, 03:32:52 PM
It would be interesting yakking for sure.  ;)

Mm-hm... especially if you ran into one of the local gran tiburón blanco.   :o

dont forget about Ballenas asesinas Orcas, they have their home 2hrs south from San Felipe
(picture not mine)

but you can also find this beauties swimming along your boat. (pictures taken by me few years ago)

Sea of Cortez was named the Aquarium of the World by Jacques Cousteau ( google it)

The Baja Guy