fishing locally.. in San Felipe, North Sea of Cortez, Baja (Update 9/16)

Started by steelfish, May 09, 2014, 07:59:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey fellows,

maybe most of you dont know a little town in Baja, on north of Sea of Cortez, San Felipe, fishing is getting better and better this days with the warm waters that come from the Pacific ocean all the way from el Cabo.

these are some pics from my last trip this past weekend to the Consag Island, 40 miles East from shore, trolling and casting was excellent.

reels used:  Penn 320gti and Calcutta 400TE
vessel : Panga style

nice an calm morning

this is our beautiful Island

this was a beautiful bigazz Cabrilla "sardinera" or leopard grouper

Sierra mackarel were big and fatty as you can see.. they fight like real demons.

no bloody decks here but bloody reels anyone?

saludos my friends.
The Baja Guy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Aiala

I sailed from San Felipe to the Midriff Islands about fifteen summers ago, aboard a battered scow named the Jose Andres. Hotter than the gates of Hell, and to call the accommodations primitive would be an understatement, but the panga fishing was truly awesome. I even won the jackpot with a huge grouper!  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

cool, its nice too see that some of you know San Felipe and Cortez sea.

one of my goals is to take on of those midriff trips on those long range boats, I think san andres is not working anymore but mr. Tony Reyes Jr. has another bigger and better.

glad you like them as much as I did.

The Baja Guy

Newell Nut

What a beautiful place to fish and you caught some nice ones. Thanks for the photos.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

I was there in Sept of 2005 and it was hot as hell but loved it. muchas gracias muchacho!

ChileRelleno

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

steelfish

Quote from: ML B on May 10, 2014, 01:13:05 AM
I was there in Sept of 2005 and it was hot as hell but loved it. muchas gracias muchacho!

LOL, we just have to weather seasons, cold a hot..
next time come on may and late september or early october.. those are the perfect fishing months.

I live next to the beach and even myself stop fishing on july-august.. its just to hot, from 8am to 9pm is 110-115*f

thanks for the kind words, hope to bring some more pics soon.

The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

It is odd that we are talking about San Felipe and haven't mentioned Totoaba. I have never caught one, and I know you can't catch them now (some day I pray) but San Felipe was the place to be to see the huge croaker.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

well as you said Totoaba is an endangered specie now (actually from many years ago) and its a crime to fish them, if by chance you catch one you have to return them safe to the water or you will be in big problems.

in the old days there were no regulations on that fish and you could have caught them as big as 6f-8ft and as fat as a pig, some guys say their meat was like a tender sirlion steak.. who knows, I have only 7 years living in this town and since that time it was prohibited.

totoaba almost never get an artificial lure but it can happens from time to time, most of the time they prefer big chucks of dead bait, if you are going to fish drop bait after big halibuts, sharks, big meros (black grouper), etc. in those cases you have chances to get an un-intended catch of totoaba, so, just un-hook them safely and you are good to go.

The Baja Guy

steelfish

I was going to open a new thread but I think I will post my few fishing trips here, so you can enjoy the view of the beautiful Baja scenarios way to the north, really different the landscaping and fisheries that you can find on the top bottom of baja on east cape and cabos.

we have no monster fish here but plently of species and good sizes to have a great time on small tank reels on 50# or 65# braid lines and light graphite rods.

here is my last fishing trip, this took place on the Enchanted Islands aka midriff area just 2hrs south of my town San Felipe.

Huerfanito and the enchanted islands on the back

this rock was really big, when you pass aside it feels like passing near a tall building

a school size YT and the 1st fish of my fathom 40

this was my biggest fish

islands, pic taken from the boat

a better pic when we get closer to one of them

spotted bay bass caught on the teaser

catch of the day

The Baja Guy

DaBigOno

Thanks for the report.   San Felipe is beautiful, especially this time of the year when it's not too hot...
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

BMITCH

You are TRUELY blessed. The scenery is beautiful, the fish plentiful and the climate warm. Thanks for bringing a little warmth to the worn down and cold Yankee. Send some of that warm weather this way will you!! ;D
luck is the residue of design.