Penn US Senator reels - new models, aluminum frames and stainless gears

Started by Three se7ens, July 01, 2014, 02:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundaytrucka

Nice line of reels.

I am assuming the narrow US Senator will be replacing the Baja Special model.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

sundaytrucka

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 01, 2014, 04:54:23 PM
I have never fished the Baja, but have opened a few.  Personally I was never impressed with what I've seen on that reel, but that's just me ;D. Still, very nice for Penn to come out with those, there are a bunch that really like them.

Don't worry Sal, they will never be the Tank...like comparing a classic muscle car to one of the modern re-issues, both are nice, both get you from point A to point B, one may be nicer getting there, but there is something about the original that just feels right and genuine; even more special if you built it yourself.
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

conchydong

For live bait fishing and/or casting, I'd take a Baja over the Tank. The free spool for a small baitfish to swim is just better. For digging a Grouper up and away from the rocks, nothing wrong with a customized tank.

Ron Jones

How is the freespool of one any better than the other for bait? I can see haw the 113HNs disengaging spool spins better for casting but it would have to be a tiny tiny pinhead of a chovie that could spin a Baja and not a YTS.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

basto

I hope they smoothed off the edges of the inside of those crossbars on the frame.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

skrilla

So we have a Senator, Special Senator, Baja Special, and now a US Senator... but still no Baby Baja?  :P

So far it sounds promising. Hope they kept the trusty spring loaded dogs. A little too much silver for my taste but I guess it pays homage to the old Penns with chrome spools. Can't wait to see one torn apart.

Newell Nut

Looks like they are learning from us. One thing that really stood out for me in the ad was the Wet HT-100 system. I just rebuilt two 113s and installed the Wet HT 100 system that was learned here.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Porthos

May consider the US113N as a replacement for my modified Okuma Catalina CT-55N whenever it blows up and cannot be repaired.

floating doc

Quote from: Newell Nut on July 03, 2014, 11:20:14 AM
Looks like they are learning from us. One thing that really stood out for me in the ad was the Wet HT-100 system. I just rebuilt two 113s and installed the Wet HT 100 system that was learned here.

I agree. Penn is paying attention.
Central Florida

ChileRelleno

Quote from: skrilla on July 03, 2014, 08:32:23 AM

So far it sounds promising. Hope they kept the trusty spring loaded dogs.
I'm wondering if they're double dogged like the Baja's?
The Baja's specs list it, these don't. 
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

floating doc

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 04, 2014, 03:10:08 AM
Quote from: skrilla on July 03, 2014, 08:32:23 AM

So far it sounds promising. Hope they kept the trusty spring loaded dogs.
I'm wondering if they're double dogged like the Baja's?
The Baja's specs list it, these don't. 

That would be surprising. Double dogs aren't exactly an exotic modification.
Central Florida

broadway

Looks to me like they took a page out of Tiburon's book... there seems to be no inside trim rings.
It's tough finding info about this reel because when I type in "Penn US Senator" I get Pennsylvania's United States Senators. Testing my google skills with this one ;)
Thanks
Dom

conchydong

Somewhere, I remember Tunanorth saying that these reels were the same as the Baja just a different color scheme and widths. Not really any extra engineering involved for Penn to make these from the original Baja. The baby Baja would have to be engineered and machines retooled to manufacture them, hence, no baby Baja yet.

Alto Mare

Name  would have looked better on the side plate :-\

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.