Penn US Senator reels - new models, aluminum frames and stainless gears

Started by Three se7ens, July 01, 2014, 02:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Three se7ens

I just saw this browsing the new products at tackle direct.  It seems Penn has a new line of senators coming out with stainless gearing, aluminum frames, etc.  Looks promising.

http://www.tackledirect.com/penn-us-senator-casting-reels.html

George4741

They look like updated versions of the Baja Special in narrow, std, and wide widths. 
viurem lliures o morirem

Aiala

Doubtless they're fine reels, but I'll forever prefer the old reliable classics.   8)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Dominick

Quote from: George4741 on July 01, 2014, 03:38:35 AM
They look like updated versions of the Baja Special in narrow, std, and wide widths. 
It sure does.  I sold my 113 hn (Baja Special) because I was not using it.  Now Penn is tempting me again.  I sold the Baja Special to Wayne (El Pescador) and if I buy one of these he will think I scammed him.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

You have that effect on people Dominick! ;) What was it? "Post sale dissonance", as you called it. A fancy word for scammed! ;D
Did the original Baja have stainless gears? It looks like an attempt at the Tank to me.
Life is Good!

day0ne

The US113N shows to hold a little more line than the 113HN. Otherwise, like was said, they sound like they are made from the Baja design
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Ron Jones

I sure like the fast gears for iron. A US 112N with bearings like the Chinese 112H would be pretty cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

floating doc

Quote from: noyb72 on July 01, 2014, 05:36:31 AM
I sure like the fast gears for iron. A US 112N with bearings like the Chinese 112H would be pretty cool.
Ron

I know that Penn watches this site. I want to say how impressed I am with their decision to produce these reels. I hope they are a financial success.

The next series of these reels should be a 112H and 112HN. I'm mainly interested in the latter size, myself.
Central Florida

conchydong

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on July 01, 2014, 04:02:34 AM
Quote from: George4741 on July 01, 2014, 03:38:35 AM
It sure does.  I sold my 113 hn (Baja Special) because I was not using it.  Now Penn is tempting me again.  I sold the Baja Special to Wayne (El Pescador) and if I buy one of these he will think I scammed him.  Dominick

Dominick, you are the most honest & ethical guy I know, but what happened to the red wine you left on your porch for me??? ??? ::)
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Dominick

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 01, 2014, 04:59:08 AM
You have that effect on people Dominick! ;) What was it? "Post sale dissonance", as you called it. A fancy word for scammed! ;D
Did the original Baja have stainless gears? It looks like an attempt at the Tank to me.
Funny.  
As far as SS gears, I don't remember.  I'll ask Wayne if he remembers.  He had the nerve to take apart a reel I sold him.   ;D  Dominick

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Dominick

Quote from: El Pescador on July 01, 2014, 02:10:53 PM
Dominick, you are the most honest & ethical guy I know, but what happened to the red wine you left on your porch for me??? ??? ::)
er um er someone er zombies maybe?  Dominick

johndtuttle

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 01, 2014, 04:59:08 AM

Yes, they always were stainless. Take a look at the tutorial Alan did for the 113HN for a look at the guts. I think you will find that the Tank is trying to be one of them :).

kmstorm64

Maybe one day I will see a magged squidder comeback?  Wishful thinking
Bad day of fishing still beats a good day at work!

Alto Mare

I have never fished the Baja, but have opened a few.  Personally I was never impressed with what I've seen on that reel, but that's just me ;D. Still, very nice for Penn to come out with those, there are a bunch that really like them.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.