Penn US Senator reels - new models, aluminum frames and stainless gears

Started by Three se7ens, July 01, 2014, 02:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Ron Jones

Sideplates should still be red, doesn't make any sense to me. The stronger Senators are red. I will continue to build Newelled Senators and be happy.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

broadway

Hey, we all thought the 113 metal senator wasn't worth it ...until we got a look after they discontinued it :-\
Worth a look, I suppose.
Dom

doradoben

Broadway, they may not have gotten the idea from Tiburon because the Baja Special was first produced about 10 years ago and there was a 114H with a full aluminum frame. I don't think either of these used inside rings.

broadway

Yeah, that's true.  I guess I was just thinking that they realized it's the way to go, but I forgot the Baja didn't have inner rings.
Should've known when no comments before mine noticed it, duh!
Thanks Ben,
Dom

raumati01

Quote from: alantani on July 03, 2014, 04:07:01 PM
they are 20 years late.......   :-\

Yep , I see these as competing with the trinidad and they come second. Shimano just bought out a new line of small ocean jiggers too. Penn should have bought out a one piece framed , narrow , double dogged 1/0 size senator or even a 3/0.

Ron Jones

I think Penn has a market sector that it still tries to cater to. For reasons no more practical than tradition I''m happy for that. The line rating of these reels have to go up if you don't use mono, but they sure are cool reels.

On a practical note, any of the current 25N star drags reels from Penn is possibly the only non trolling reel you need.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

raumati01

They are all at different price points I guess, I'd have my trini 16na over the squall any day though.I had a baja special for years and used it for mechanical jigging and deepwater fishing, I sold it after I scored a trini 40n though.
I they bought out a 1/0 or 3/0 version of those senators I would be very tempted to get one though.

spottybastard

Aiala

Quote from: spottybastard on July 06, 2014, 06:01:56 AM
I think this link will provide the answers to our speculations...  Strait from a Penn rep.
http://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/return-of-american-made-senators.542073/#post-3450899

Gotta love the clown who asks, "With all the great reels on the market, why would you want to fish with a Senator?"

Sigh... 

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Shark Hunter

There will always be Haters Aiala. Let them spend their money, constantly replace bearings, lose their drag and have the plates pop off. ;)
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 08, 2014, 04:50:36 PM
There will always be Haters Aiala. Let them spend their money, constantly replace bearings, lose their drag and have the plates pop off. ;)

I know, Mr. Shark. It's more than a bit depressing the way so many folks have no recollection of a time when the proud phrase "Made in the USA" stood for unparalleled quality.

I'm getting too dang old.

~A~

Jerseymic

Why would you want to fish with a Senator, because it is a Senator that's why!! :)

Aiala

Quote from: Jerseymic on July 08, 2014, 11:02:10 PM
Why would you want to fish with a Senator, because it is a Senator, that's why!! :)

Amen, Brother! Can I get a witness?!

~A~

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!