TLD15 maintenance

Started by JEW, August 23, 2010, 11:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEW

I've got a set of shimano tld15s that I use (and am very hard on) for king mackerel fishing in North Carolina.  I've had them for 10yrs or so and 2 or 3 times, the local tackle shop has taken them apart, greased, and replaced parts as required.  They're due again and I think I'd like to give it a try myself.  Internet searching has led me to this webpage which is really helpful.

I do not need to upgrade the drag as we do not use very much of it at all.  2-3 lbs is prety typical. 

I'm looking for a list of tools, parts, and where to buy everything to get started.  I figured I'd break one down and see how it goes and go from there. 

Thanks for all the advice.  JEW

Bryan Young

You should not need any speical tools to service the reel.  The special wrench to remove the drag cooling shield is helpful, but not necessary.

Grease and oil is your preference.  Common lubricants are:

Inox - starting to see it more in the US.
TSI 301 - http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1018.0
Corrosion X and Reel X - from your local fishing supply or contact them directly at http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=340.0
Xtreme Reel - At your local fishing supply.  ProReelServcie may still have some as they were running a special http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=677.0
and a host of other.

Blue Marine Grease (Yamaha is probably the most common on this site).  From your local Yamaha dealer.  I use Evinrude Triple Guard folded with Corrosion X.

Drag grease - Shimano from shimano or your local fishing supply or Cal's universal drag and reel grease from Cal Sheet directly or from Dawn from SmoothDrag.com.

Schematics - http://alantani.com/index.php?board=15.0

Parts - Shimano

Bearings - Boca Bearings or from SmoothDrag

Did I leave anything out?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

JEW

6oz aerosol corrosion-x

1 Smooth Drag Carbontex Shimano TLD 15

1 for shimano TLD 15, 20 & 25 single speeds
1 ea. 7x17x5 & 6x12x4 mm $14.99
Abec 5 Oiled Bearing Set (2) 

Cals Universal Grease 1 oz

This i what I'm going to order from Charkbait.com.  (drag washer, corrosion-x, universal grease, and bearings).  One question I have is the grease.  I see comments about yamaha grease and about shimano drag grease (which I'm substituting the cals grease for).  Do I need both greases?  Thanks for the help. 

Bryan Young

Cal's Universal Grease is good for all purposes reel grease for internals and drags.  You really don't need to use others, but Cal's grease is relatively more expensive (rightly so, it's a good grease).

Sounds like you are ready to go.  Let us know how it comes out and post pics if you would like to share something or have questions about the reel as you are servicing it.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

CarolinaCustomReels

Add in a screwdriver (I like the interchangeable-head type) and a copy of the schematic and you should be set to go. Bryan is right, the cooling shield removal tool is helpful but not necessary.

I'm in the Raleigh area. If you're nearby and need help let me know. I've worked a fair bit on the TLDs.

JEW

Thanks for everyone's help.  Got a few more questions...on some of my reels, the preset knob is frozen.  How do I remove?  Wrench?

Grease clarification...I can use Cal's grease everywhere.  You guys, though, are saying the Yamaha grease is acceptable everywhere except for the drag washers.  The only advantage here is the yamaha grease is less expensive. 

Bryan Young

Quote from: JEW on August 24, 2010, 09:07:32 PM
Thanks for everyone's help.  Got a few more questions...on some of my reels, the preset knob is frozen.  How do I remove?  Wrench?
I would try spraying corrosion X in there (try to soak it) and let sit for a overnight then try again.  If still doesn't budge, add more corrosion X, soak it another day or two and then cloth covered pliers and work it slowly. Note, this is my opinion and not necessarily your or should be yours.  This is what I would try first.

Quote from: JEW on August 24, 2010, 09:07:32 PMGrease clarification...I can use Cal's grease everywhere.  You guys, though, are saying the Yamaha grease is acceptable everywhere except for the drag washers.  The only advantage here is the yamaha grease is less expensive. 
Yes, you can use Cal's grease everywhere.  Yamaha grease sticks to surfaces really well and is less expensive.

Russ57

For an old time crusty east coast perspective I'm going to suggest you don't need any fancy upgraded bearings nor do you need to remove shields and oil your bearings.  IMHO this trend got started by guys that need to cast and/or need great free spool to let baits run.  I suggest we need neither on the east coast.

For those that don't know we basically lower our (big and frisky) live bait into the water and let it swim to its doom.  On the way out we remind her it is just as easy to marry a big fish as a small one.  We keep it in free spool and strip line untill her school girl quivers start happening.  Sometimes we advertise her under a kite.  We generally reserve that for desperation time or when we are angling for a doctor, lawyer, or sailfish.

TLD 15 huh?  Glad to know someone is still seeing serious smokers.  I'm down to a 2500 spinner as all I see are snakes here these days.  Personally I never considered them to have a soft mouth and don't feel the need to fish low drag ratings and have tons of line.  Then I don't catch them for money so what do I know:)

JEW

I agree - I do not think that I need any fancy, upgraded bearings.  I would, though, like to have durability.  I do not cast, don't need freespool at high drag settings, etc.  I'm going to give this a shot, we'll see how it works out.

Next question - Where do I get standard drag washers and bearings?  And are they significantly less expensive? 

Thanks; Jonathan

akfish

You really, really should replace the canvas Shimano drag washer!! You can get a carbontex drag washer and the bearings at Smoothdrag.com. Good prices on bearings. The carbontex drag washer costs a few dollars more than a stock drag washer but it is worth every penny. Really.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

JEW

I've got a carbontex washer on order.  More internet surfing yields more questions, though.  Is the carbontex washer a different size than a standard washer meaning I'm going to have to shim or take out something else?  I'd like to put the reel back together exactly as it is.  It works perfectly for what I do.  Next question is greasing the washer.  Seems these reels, as standard, use "dry" washers.  I'm going to follow the rebuild on this site exactly but want, also, to understand what I'm doing.  Is greasing the washer because of the type (carbontex) or just because it's better?

Hopefully I'll get the stuff by this weekend and can go to work.

Thanks.

Russ57

I do think a greased carbon fiber drag washer is a worthwhile upgrade.  The drag should be smoother and exhibit less "start up force needed" to get the drag going.  This can be a blessing when the fish makes a surge close to the boat (think gaff time).

conchydong

Quote from: JEW on August 25, 2010, 02:18:56 AM
I've got a carbontex washer on order.  More internet surfing yields more questions, though.  Is the carbontex washer a different size than a standard washer meaning I'm going to have to shim or take out something else?  I'd like to put the reel back together exactly as it is.  It works perfectly for what I do.  Next question is greasing the washer.  Seems these reels, as standard, use "dry" washers.  I'm going to follow the rebuild on this site exactly but want, also, to understand what I'm doing.  Is greasing the washer because of the type (carbontex) or just because it's better?

Hopefully I'll get the stuff by this weekend and can go to work.

Thanks.

I put a greased (cals) carbontex drag from smoooth drag in my TLD 15 and it fit perfectly.

JEW

Just put my first reel back together & not quite a success.  I cannot get anything but freespool.  I feel pretty confident that I'm doing something wrong as I put the preset knob and lever back on but cannot figure out what it is.  There's a little play in the spool from the spring that's between the 2 little bearings.  Should the spool be able to move some before I get the side plate back on?  Thought that may be the source of my problem. 

Couple pther generic questions.  I wound up not changing out any bearings or the drag washer.  I bought a bearing kit and 1 washer.  Figured I'd see how this goes and get more as I need.  All looked ok so I figured I'd change one in another reel that looks in worse condition.  I bought a smoothdrag bearing kit.  How come only 2 bearings come with it when the reel requires 4?  Are there 2 bearings that are more important that should be changed?  They also appear to be sheilded bearings.  Should I take the sheilds off these new bearings?  Is there a place I can buy unsheilded bearings? 

Thanks for the help.  JEW