today i answered two of the oldest questions .......

Started by alantani, August 30, 2010, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

I tried getting the dishwasher to do a couple of mine... but she refused.
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

I came across this old post and got my Laugh for the evening!
Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: kallitype on January 17, 2011, 03:53:49 PM
Bar Keeper's Friend is my weapon of choice...

Hmm, excellent idea! (The Bar Keepers Friend, not the dishwasher... ahem.) Which is preferable, the powder or liquid?   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

MFB

A wise man told me once " Before you do anything, think how it could end badly." ;D

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

johndtuttle

Unutt

I use Never Dull on corroded reel parts.  Buy a can at the auto parts store, it lasts forever!

I use an old watch cleaner for nasty internals.  Load up the baskets, set the timer, go work on something else. 
So many reels, so little time.

Shark Hunter

Simple green will work wonders on that corrosion! ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

Quote from: johndtuttle on May 04, 2014, 09:44:12 PM
:D

Classic post. Sticky worthy.

yeah, but sometimes my wife lurks around here.....   ;D

crackerman

Today i used quadruple ought steel wool on the side rings and posts of my new to me 12/0, it shined up fantastically! How do you keep the previously corroded areas from corroding again ?

I am a fairly young pup, but i learned a long time ago, dirty garage stuff stays in the garage. " clean" garage stuff goes BACK in the garage when done! Dishwasher and oven are off limits.

Shark Hunter

crackerman,
Don't think I contradict everything you say to be the reel police. I just try to help out wherever I can and spend way too much time on this site. I wouldn't use steel wool on any of the chrome plated brass. Sure, it may shine it right up, but you are inviting further corrosion from its abrasive nature.
If I have some corrosion that can't be easily removed by using chrome polish, I soak it in simple green for a day or two and it comes off like magic with a soft toothbrush.
When I go through a reel and put it back together, I grease everything with penn blue. When I'm done, I wipe the reel off the best I can and it leaves a small layer of this on the reel. That is protection enough for me. If I take it to the Ocean, Its going to get the same treatment when I get back. Even after one trip. By the way, I mailed your Delrin yesterday. Enjoy! ;)
Life is Good!

alantani

crud, the oven is off limits??????  i need to dry all that brass that i'm going to tumble.  got a wet tumbler and the stainless steel pins.  gotta dry the brass after i separate out all the pins and rinse everything out.  i was gonna sneak it into the oven.  do you really thing she's mind??? 

Tightlines667

Better make sure there were no misfires or 'hot' primers in the mix, before you turn up the heat.  Might really spark some fireworks at home.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

crackerman

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 25, 2014, 06:19:08 AM
crackerman,
Don't think I contradict everything you say to be the reel police. I just try to help out wherever I can and spend way too much time on this site. I wouldn't use steel wool on any of the chrome plated brass. Sure, it may shine it right up, but you are inviting further corrosion from its abrasive nature.
If I have some corrosion that can't be easily removed by using chrome polish, I soak it in simple green for a day or two and it comes off like magic with a soft toothbrush.
When I go through a reel and put it back together, I grease everything with penn blue. When I'm done, I wipe the reel off the best I can and it leaves a small layer of this on the reel. That is protection enough for me. If I take it to the Ocean, Its going to get the same treatment when I get back. Even after one trip. By the way, I mailed your Delrin yesterday. Enjoy! ;)

like I said before, I am fairly new to the reel game, and this helps me a lot! I couldn't find any yamalube locally, so I picked up some marine grease by silkolene that is ok'd to be a "drop in" it sure looks a lot different than the mystik red I was thinking of using.

Coming from the automotive world, the steel wool is an acceptable way to clean and shine chrome up, but constant maintenance is always needed, due to pits already present. I will try that chrome polish on the 113hlw I will go through next.
I also leave a layer of grease on the reel, its thin, and wont leave a mess on the hands, but I can feel it still.

Thanks for the delrin! I just got my reel parts in yesterday, and assembled it with the ht100 under the stack with a deburred gear sleeve it seems pretty smooth, with a 9+1 stack I whipped up. but I would like to try it against a 9+0 stack with the delrin. the line that's on the reel is older 80lb and it couldn't take the star wheel being cranked down. With new 130lb I ought to be able to lean on it.

and if anyone hasn't tried it yet, the 14/0 handle on a 12/0 is a blessing!

MFB

Quote from: alantani on July 25, 2014, 07:25:03 AM
crud, the oven is off limits??????  i need to dry all that brass that i'm going to tumble.  got a wet tumbler and the stainless steel pins.  gotta dry the brass after i separate out all the pins and rinse everything out.  i was gonna sneak it into the oven.  do you really thing she's mind??? 

Yes

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton