today i answered two of the oldest questions .......

Started by alantani, August 30, 2010, 06:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

..... that have troubled fishermen since the dawn of time.  or at least since the dawn of modern appliances. 

first, can you clean your reels in the dishwasher?  and second, if you get caught, what will your wife do?

well, i had a few hours at home before work this morning.   i was looking at a box of reels that i got in the mail and figured that these really needed a good cleaning.  with half a load of morning breakfast dishes and my wife out for a few hours, i seized the opportunity.

the dishwasher ran through the wash and rinse cycle, and started to dry.  then, i heard the three words that a misbehaving husband fears the most.  "honey, i'm home!!!"  the first questions she asks is why the dishwasher is going.  how do they know? 

fortunately, she has a sense of humor.  and lousy aim!

unfortunately, one dishwasher cycle did nothing to remove the corrosion on these old penns.

i was lucky this time.  kids, don't try this at home.........

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Norcal Pescador

Yuck! Time to bring out the brass brush and chrome polish.

I powder-paint my own lead heads and jig heads, and curing requires time in the oven. So now I've been told to look for a used toaster oven.

Friends don't let their friends get caught!   :o  ::) ;D

Cheers,

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Jimmer

Hi Alan - have you tried soaking corroded parts in C.L.R? It seems to remove the corrosion without taking any extra chome or paint with it.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Bryan Young

Now that's funny.  I presume this wasn't the first time, and she probably knew that you had done it before.  By the way, I gotta drop by.  I keep on forgetting to give you your Newell schematics back.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

BigT

Absolute classic, Alan. Sounds like a Seinfeld episode in real life. ;D

Cheers, T
more of my rebuilds on
http://www.fishraider.com.au

broadway

Alan,
      You're a brave man, and your wife's a good sport.   We already know your wife's a good sport cause she let's you play with us almost every day:) On the other hand, speaking only for myself,  "Boy, it's good to be single"... I can toast, freeze, dish wash, melt, cut, use wicked chemicals all hours of the night and no naggin' ! However, I do have to wash my own stinky clothes and prepare my own meals.  Screw it, I make a mean sandwich and I have a laundry delivery service. 
      You did answer an age old question for many of us not man/crazy enough to try it, thanks for that!
Dom

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Keta,

In that case I'll speak for all of us... Don't try it!  :-[

wish I was fishing

Nothing makes a fish BIGGER than almost being caught! .

dustin.brace

Has anyone tried out Bar Keepers Friend? I used it on a reel seat and it seemed to remove the corrosion and polish it up pretty nicely. Anyone else tried it?
" height="90" width="160

Living the Dream

QuoteAbsolute classic, Alan. Sounds like a Seinfeld episode in real life.
LMAO

kallitype

Bar Keeper's Friend is my weapon of choice for the salt-disfigurement that mars my old Abe and Al brass/chrome flashers.  It gives  them a quick matte polish, and Brasso restores the shine.  If I just use Brasso, it takes forever to get the salt rash off.
Vashon Island kayak angler

usnbmc

"My wife owns a Bobbit knife" holy carp, that's FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!
She said, "Rob, it's me or the fishing", guess what?
I don't miss her, (really, really don't)!!!
Keep 'em tight!!!

MysticParts

Laughed so hard brought tears to my eyes!

Nice try Alan
Mystic Reel Parts LLC (Formerly PennParts.com)
945 Radio Road
LEHT (Mystic Island) NJ 08087
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637
Office# +1 (609) 296-1300
http://www.mysticparts.com

Fishead

Hey!! At least you tried.Some of us know better than to to even try that.Good stuff.
p.s. those were some sad looking reels,hope they came out good.
If you're not fishing,you're wishing you were!!