Needing Reel help

Started by Broke-off, October 19, 2014, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

A jigmaster takes these drags.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-309.aspx
Those drags you have look like some old cork ones.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

Broke-off

A reg jigmaster drag stack is to short for this. I tried to replace this stack with CF stack out of another jigmaster. It didnt clear the top of the gear. When I put this stack in a stock gear. The stack was to tall. If I use reg CF washers. It would be  more than three. Maybe I'd have to ad an extra stainless washer also. I'm not sure what it would take to equil this stack height

Shark Hunter

I don't know what kind of gears you have, but this is a Black Pearl Custom gear which is a little taller than stock. The three stack fit fine with a delrin washer on top. If you want a custom 5 stack, I think Bryan Young has those.
Quote from: Shark Hunter link=topic=11547.msg112374#msg112374 date=1410136994
Ok,
Lets slap this Jigmaster together.
IMG]http://i1300.photobucket.com/albums/ag93/darondyer/IMG_24881_zps53cc4fe4.jpg[/img]
Since someone questioned my Delrin cutting capabilities. I redid these with a tight ID.

Business end almost done.

Prepping the frame. I notice the clamp studs are one piece instead of threading a nut to fit on the stud. I like it. Greased and ready.

Done, 5:1 Jigmaster with Tib Frame.

Life is Good!

bluefish69

The Drags look like the original Newell Red Marbled Drag Washers. They are the same diameter as the Jig Masters, just a little thinner.

Mike

I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Tightlines667

I would:

first check the spool to see if there is any wobble, or if it contacts the rings/sideplates during a revolution.  
of it's warped or the spool shaft is bent, order a new one from Scott's Bait and Tackle, or find a used one on Ebay, and replace it.

Then I would polish up the inside of the main gear, and gear sleeve a bit with some fine grit sandpaper, or steel wool (I.e. Make sure the main spins freely on the gear sleeve, and that the 'keyed' metal drag washers will rotate freely inside of the gear.  

Then I would order an entire new drag stack (metal and CF washers, tension washers, and undergear washer), from Dawn at SmoothDrag, Scott's, or check with Brian here.  You could bebur and polish up the main gear teeth a bit as well, but be careful you don't overdo it here.

Hope that helps?

Good Luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.