Needing Reel help

Started by Broke-off, October 19, 2014, 08:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broke-off

Hi all I'm new to posting on here so this might not be the right place. But here is my issue. I have completely gone through a jig master. Long beach. And squidder. All these reels spin like a top and seem to be in perfect clean working order but after hooking a fish they all get really sticky on the retrieve to were thay are unusable. Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong.   Bill

Dominick

Broke-off what kind of grease and oil did you use?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

foakes

All great reels, Bill --

If you mean by completely gone through -- a complete disassemble, cleaning of all parts, reassembly, adjustments, grease, oil, etc.?

Then I would start with what type of grease was used on the drags, gears, and if there is any washer ears stuck outside the main gear -- which could cause binding under pressure -- but not necessarily in free spool.

Either something is binding in one direction, or perhaps either way too much grease, or the wrong kind of grease, or ???

Since it is happening to all of your recent service jobs -- it is probably just some small thing common to all.

No big deal, I'm sure someone here can assist with various ideas.

You might let us know your service technique, greases used, inspect the drag stacks, etc...

Pics might help everyone.  Easy to do through photobucket, and free.

And welcome!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

alantani

for the jigmaster and the long beach, my guess would be that you need new bushings.  for the squidder, perhaps a torqued frame?  for all three reels, if you also respooled them under heavy pressure, you might have blown (expanded) the spools.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Broke-off

I used Cals drag grease on all the drags and used penn synthetic oil and penn blue gear grease. And yes I've done a complete tare down of all those reels. And yes I've respooled them all but not under alot of psi. Just finger psi on line. I'm sure it's a simple missed step or maybe over greasing I'm not sure.  The reels work fine in and out. In free spool and with say 10oz weight. But after hooking a 5 lb rockfish. Thay all seem like something is binding up or like I've got the spool tentioner screw to tight even though there is free play in it.  Oh ya. And all drags but one are carbon fiber. The one that is not has some kind of skin tone color drag washers in it. That reel is a 500/99 conversion and has alot of upgrades done. ( not by me ). I tried to change out the washers with a set of carbon fiber I had but the stack was to tall and wouldent fit. I'm assuming because its not stock.  The main prob. Is. The reels work fine in the front yard with my son pulling of line as I reel in and work the reel as if I was fighting a fish. But when thay get wet is when I have issues. I hope I've answered all that have tried to help. If I can't figure this out. Maybe I'll just send them all to Allen. But again I think it's something simple and I'm just missing it

Broke-off

Also the squidder and the 500/99 have tiberon frames. I don't think it's a frame or line issue. It's a flaw in something I'm doing lol. I just don't know what it is

Cone

Mono or braid? If it is braid and it is too loose it can dig into the braid on the spool.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Tightlines667

Maybe you can describe the symptoms you're experiencing with all three reels when cranking under load .  It sounds like freespool is good with no spool binding?  The reels shift smoothly into and out of gear (both freestanding and under load)?  The line pulls off of the spools when engaged and the drags are relatively smdrag pulls off smooth at different settings?  And the reels crank smoothly under lower pressures (I.e. When retrieving a weight)?  So the issues common to all are binding/jerky/sticky cranking when under higher loads?  If this is the case, how does the reel behave?, or what does it sound/feel like when it's not working right?  Is there a grinding feeling?  Or just a noticable binding (I.e. hard to crank the handle).  Are there any other obvious symptoms?  Like the binding/bumping/tightness occurring when the handle is in a particular location, or happening X number of times per revolution?, or the spools rubbing on the frame? Noise on the right middle, upper, or left side plates, or any other symptoms?   

It sounds like you may have binding issues under load which may be due to misalignment of gears, spool, or other parts, spacing, or possibly a minor assembly mistake.  If the cranking issue persists under various drag settings, but is only present under load, then it is not likely related to drag stack height/spacing, or the bridge mounting.  Missing under gear washers might help to explain a stiffness felt when cranking under higher loads.  I guess we need more info, or pics of the parts and sub assemblies to properly diagnose your issues. 

Just a few thoughts.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Bryan Young

What are the kind of under gear washer are you using?  Additionally, is it occurring with one rod or do you have a reel per rod?  I sometime find that your fishing rod could create this if you are not using ceramic guides.  If this may be a problem, try wetting your line to see if that helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Broke-off

Ok folks. I have to apologize. I thought the squidder was one I had gone through but my son grabbed the one off the bench that I'd not opened up yet. Well I opened it up tonight and the drag washers are in pieces lol. I think I found the problem with that one. And the long beach was my grandfathers reel and I'm thinking maybe a bent frame or bent spool. Anyways I'm keeping that one as a keepsake on the shelf. I took it out just to see if it was in working order but it's really unimportant. So now to the jigmaster500/99 conversion. I worked the reel with a 5lb weight tonight and it worked just fine. I even run the water hose on it to see if water had anything to do with the prob but it still worked great. I'll tear it down tomorrow night and post pics. The binding I feel when it's under a load feels like if the line has a lump in it and is rubbing on the frame then goes free then hits the frame again. But that's not the case. Anyways maybe with posting pics someone will see a prob. Thank you to all that posted info and again I apologize for the squidder mistake. 

Bryan Young

Don't sweat it.  We all make mistakes.   At least you solved the problem. ..tell your son"don't touch the reels.    ;D :o ;D
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Rancanfish

Hey Broke-off, welcome.  Post pics and what you find because these are the kinds of mysteries we all need to know the results / solutions.  Looking forward to the answer.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Keta

Quote from: Broke-off on October 22, 2014, 01:31:15 AM
The binding I feel when it's under a load feels like if the line has a lump in it and is rubbing on the frame then goes free then hits the frame again.  

It sounds like a warped/bent spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Broke-off

I didn't find anything wrong inside the reel. I've only tore apart about 10 reel so I'm a newbie at this. I've not seen this drag washer miterial in any other reel. And this drag stack will not fit in a stock squidder. It's to tall.  I'm wanting to change them to carbon fiber. But don't know what size I need

Broke-off

Pics