Penn 259

Started by sharkman, November 03, 2014, 05:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

Let me start off by saying the website is the greatest, it has helped me through many reel repairs.  Recently I obtained a nice Penn 259, but the gear sleeve is worn. Penn no longer makes the part and Scotts does not have any available.  Is there a gear sleeve from another Penn reel that will interchange?  Thanks for the help.

foakes

Hi sharkman --

The bridge and sleeve assembly for the old 259 from the 40s and 50s -- is also in the 99 & 110 -- to answer your question directly.

However, there may be some loose sleeves that will fit that reel.  Penn used to sell the bridge, sleeve, and post pin as (1) unit.  So for me, it is hard to tell from the old service manuals -- since the sleeve is not broken out separately.  The complete assembly part # is: 3-99.

If I had the reel here, a sleeve could likely be matched up from used or new old stock parts.  But someone else on the board should have what you need -- or additional information.

Nice old reel.

Good luck,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Doug

Fred I think gear sleeve # 98-60  may work this is the sleeve that's on the 1/0 senator as long as the bridge is ok. Scotts has them for around $5 The 1/0 senator uses the same bridge and sleeve as the 99  Doug

Alto Mare

It might be the 98-155. :-\
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sharkman

Bryan Young

I replaced mine with one of Alan's Stainless Steel gear sleeves.  Check this out http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9874.0

In looking back, I had replaced my gear sleeve with a jigmaster gear sleeve.

Hope this posting helps.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

I know that the 98-155 and 98-60 could be swapped, I've done it when I needed to, but can't remember if I had to file the dog or not :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sharkman

What is the difference between the 98-155 and the 98-60?  What reels would you find the 98-155 in?

handi2

If you find the correct one I can mail you one for no charge. I seem to have way too many. I think it's the 98-155..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Shark Hunter

Quote from: sharkman on November 05, 2014, 04:33:41 PM
What is the difference between the 98-155 and the 98-60?  What reels would you find the 98-155 in?
Sharkman,
If you go to Scott's bait and tackle website. They sell a lot of Alan's sleeves. You can see what reels they fit. I go there a lot to see what fits certain reels.
Life is Good!

handi2

The big difference is the size of the anti reverse ratchet.
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

I bet that reel would work with either one.

sharkman

Thanks everybody for all the information.  Thanks handi2, if the 98-60 doesn't work I will hit you up on the 98-155. I have a 98-60 coming in the mail for another reel. This site amazes me every time I log on.  Just in the sheer willingness to help each other and the overwhelming amount of knowledge.  Anybody that doubt there is still good in the world just needs to log on to this site.  Thanks again.

I have always enjoyed working with mechanical things (cars, motorcycles and now reels). This site gave me the courage to start working on reels for local tackle shop. I starting working on reels not for the money but for the enjoyment.

handi2

Quote from: sharkman on November 06, 2014, 04:53:49 PM
Thanks everybody for all the information.  Thanks handi2, if the 98-60 doesn't work I will hit you up on the 98-155. I have a 98-60 coming in the mail for another reel. This site amazes me every time I log on.  Just in the sheer willingness to help each other and the overwhelming amount of knowledge.  Anybody that doubt there is still good in the world just needs to log on to this site.  Thanks again.

I have always enjoyed working with mechanical things (cars, motorcycles and now reels). This site gave me the courage to start working on reels for local tackle shop. I starting working on reels not for the money but for the enjoyment.

That's how it all starts. In the spring you may be 2 weeks behind...!
Gulf Breeze, FL

Aiala

I really like this classic 259, which I restored and dressed up with spacer bars, a red spool and matching red handle:

Pretty enough to be a shelfie, but looks/feels so nice I want to take it fishing!   :)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D