alvey 651c5

Started by wallacewt, December 02, 2014, 07:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

with the help of rothmar2 we are going to
turn this into a monster.it will be slow but we may get there.
its big,its heavy,no gears ,no ball bearings
plan "a" c/f drags, power handle, double dog it
here its stripped

my friend called in yesterday and dropped 3 reels off,"whatcha doin wit the alvey"
I told him and he said give it to me
so today,"whatcha think"

the little black knob is the one that was removed,the white compressed plastic knob is 1/2 the
weight of the original, feels comfortable.
to be continued ::)

Rothmar2

Good luck with this one Wallace. Will keep an eye out for some bronze for you to make the extra dog from. Will get it to you with the other parts I'm sending you (nudge, nudge). I say bronze, as it looks like the sleeve is brass and a stainless dog would probably batter it. Let me know how thick you require the bronze.

Bryan Young

Cool. I need to update mine.  My Aunty gave me a rod and reel when my uncle past away. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

alantani

you can cut drag washers to fit this. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hi Wallace, what is the ID, OD and thickness of those drag washers?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

wallacewt

hi bryan
brass ones?
id 14.27
od. 32.1
thickness 1.19

on the latest 651c5 the fibre washers have been replaced with
TYGAFLOR. any ideas anybody.
i googled it,fg/teflon both sides
also its a lever drag reel

Bryan Young

quite possibly, Penn #6-975LD would be the best fit, with the reduction of the OD.  Thank you.  I'm going to look into doing mine soon.

wallacewt

when I went to the schematics for this reel
a later model one  is a lever drag,i sent an email off to alvey today,
to see if I can upgrade.thats the way ill go if possible
in the meantime I made up some c/f washers

I drilled 0.8 c/f,laminated, ,cut roughly with scissors,put 5 in a stack,screwed together run lightly against a disc.
nut,eared washer, c/f 5 stack,eared washer,nut,used an old screw driver as an axial inside the tube,worked fine
to be cont;

wallacewt

just got word back from alvey
i can convert to a lever drag for $36 aud

wallacewt

trial run for the monster knob,felt good
ill paint it underneath and inside,loctite,
i think the spool will take 1000m+80lb
there is 500m 80lb hollow on it now
cheers

only 17lb of drag at the moment,want 20lb min;25lb would be perfect.havent tried anything yet.
merry xmas to all

Alto Mare

Very nice Wallace. That reel appears to be huge, what are the dimensions and how much line per crank?

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

wallacewt

hi sal, the dia; is 6"   there has been a correction.
i just added another 500m and its 18 1/2" per turn,spool is nearly full,take 200m more
no gears,its 1 for 1.
hi daron,yep its a door knob,cost $6aud,(metal)they have some really
nice alum;ones at $30, but it,s just trial and error at this stage
the original handle was some sort of compressed rubber,i ran a bolt
through it,put it in the drill press(no lathe)and with a wood file
turned it down,so its a tight fit in the door knob.no need for glue.
cheers

michaelc

This reminded me of the same one I have/had.  I bought it in 1993 and decided to respool the old mono with some nice fresh 30lb Berkley big game. I thought I was doing a great job putting 500m or so of line on the reel nice and tight.  I sat the reel down next to me and it was not long before I heard some cracking sounds coming from the reel.  Yep...... I spooled that sucker too tight and the mono was contracting and crushing the fiberglass spool completely destroying it.

Will that knob interfere with line coming over the spool lip?