98-60AT gear sleeve for a "grouper special" lite

Started by Wally15, December 04, 2014, 12:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally15

I own 2 Black 113's that I want to upgrade to trolling reels. The 2:1 is just too slow for bottom fishing, but should make a decent trolling setup for the Gulf of Mexico. I can't find the 98-60AT ss gear sleeves, both Dawn and Scott's are out of stock. Any other sources?
I'm not quite ready to jump into narrowing up these reels with a LB 66 spool conversion. I just want the +1 ht-100 stack and a stronger gear sleeve for now. And maybe a handle upgrade.
Couple of other questions for you gurus:
1) Anything else I should do to these 113's to get to 15-18#'s max drag?
2) How do you guys keep track of what mods you've done to what reels? I own 7-8 Senators and 4-5 other Penns, some of them are currently identical, like the 2 black 113's.
Mike
Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Bryan Young

You may want to try Handi.  I am also out and waiting for the new shipment from Alan, whom is also out.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

handi2

Mike I have them but forgot to let you know. Ill contact in the am. I just came up from reel work and I'm wooped...
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

trond_solem

Quote from: handi2 on December 05, 2014, 01:23:51 AM
Mike I have them but forgot to let you know. Ill contact in the am. I just came up from reel work and I'm wooped...

Hmmmm. I just bought 2 98-155 stainless sleeves since the 98-60AT was unavailable.

Maybe I should get two of 98-60AT sleeves too?

Ron Jones

I really like speeding these reels up with 66 gears, make sure you are using a steel main gear with that high drag and I also recommend one of Lee's stainless dogs. Even though you are not planning on casting this reel the aluminum spools seem to make the whole package nicer. Last thing I'd do is get a big star on the reel if it isn't on there already.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Quote from: noyb72 on December 05, 2014, 02:32:55 AM
I really like speeding these reels up with 66 gears, make sure you are using a steel main gear with that high drag and I also recommend one of Lee's stainless dogs. Even though you are not planning on casting this reel the aluminum spools seem to make the whole package nicer. Last thing I'd do is get a big star on the reel if it isn't on there already.

Ron
Ron, you must be thinking of something else, the 113 does come with the 5-66 gear.
Quote from: Wally15 on December 04, 2014, 12:49:40 PM
I own 2 Black 113's that I want to upgrade to trolling reels. The 2:1 is just too slow for bottom fishing, but should make a decent trolling setup for the Gulf of Mexico. I can't find the 98-60AT ss gear sleeves, both Dawn and Scott's are out of stock. Any other sources?
I'm not quite ready to jump into narrowing up these reels with a LB 66 spool conversion. I just want the +1 ht-100 stack and a stronger gear sleeve for now. And maybe a handle upgrade.
2) How do you guys keep track of what mods you've done to what reels? I own 7-8 Senators and 4-5 other Penns, some of them are currently identical, like the 2 black 113's.
Mike
Mike, if you want to speed it up a bit check here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9979.msg93421#msg93421
The new combination with the 5-149 and 13-113H is actually smoother than the stock. I understand you're not ready for the narrow, but you could do this to the standard 113 as well.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i'm supposed to have the first shipment of 98-60 and 98-505 gear sleeves tomorrow. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 05, 2014, 03:16:52 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on December 05, 2014, 02:32:55 AM

Ron
Ron, you must be thinking of something else, the 113 does come with the 5-66 gear.
Quote from: Wally15 on December 04, 2014, 12:49:40 PM
Mike
The new combination with the 5-149 and 13-113H is actually smoother than the stock. I understand you're not ready for the narrow, but you could do this to the standard 113 as well.
Sal

Never seen that thread till now Sal!! What a beautiful reel!! I have been thinking about that for awhile! Seeing it is beautiful! Don't have the tools for that spool mod but nice work!

Quote from: alantani on December 05, 2014, 03:37:43 AM
i'm supposed to have the first shipment of 98-60 and 98-505 gear sleeves tomorrow. 

Great to hear Alan! I have a couple projects in the works!

Wally15

Sal

You guys forget I'm a novice at this upgrade business!
Sal, I read your "Grouper Special" link (all 5 pages) and got more confused than ever. You guys toss out more numbers than an Air Traffic Controller ;D
SBT has the 5-149 for $10. Looks like it has 36 teeth in the Scott's pic. I thought the 13-113H pinion had 16 teeth  :-\. That would be a 2.25:1 ratio. Since I don't have a spare 113H pinion, that's another $9.65. Is it even worth it to go from 2:1 to 2.25:1?
I do have a spare steel gear and pinion from an LB 60. That's 40 and 17 teeth for a 2:35 ratio. But I'll bet you guru's will tell me it won't fit.
I haven't opened the 113's yet, so I don't know what shape everything is in. If it looks OK (and steel gears), I think I'll stick to just the 5+1 and the ss 98-60 mods for now. Once I get some successful upgrades under my belt (and more knowledge), I'll start expanding my horizons.
But thanks for the great suggestions. Just wish I currently had the skillset to pull it off.
Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Bryan Young

Quote from: alantani on December 05, 2014, 03:37:43 AM
Just in time.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Alto Mare

Quote from: Wally15 on December 05, 2014, 04:28:44 AM
Sal

You guys forget I'm a novice at this upgrade business!
Sal, I read your "Grouper Special" link (all 5 pages) and got more confused than ever. You guys toss out more numbers than an Air Traffic Controller ;D
SBT has the 5-149 for $10. Looks like it has 36 teeth in the Scott's pic. I thought the 13-113H pinion had 16 teeth  :-\. That would be a 2.25:1 ratio. Since I don't have a spare 113H pinion, that's another $9.65. Is it even worth it to go from 2:1 to 2.25:1?
I do have a spare steel gear and pinion from an LB 60. That's 40 and 17 teeth for a 2:35 ratio. But I'll bet you guru's will tell me it won't fit.
I haven't opened the 113's yet, so I don't know what shape everything is in. If it looks OK (and steel gears), I think I'll stick to just the 5+1 and the ss 98-60 mods for now. Once I get some successful upgrades under my belt (and more knowledge), I'll start expanding my horizons.
But thanks for the great suggestions. Just wish I currently had the skillset to pull it off.
Mike
Sorry Mike, at times I forget about the new guys. This posting on the upgrade was  directed more towards guys that have been screwing up reels along with me ;D, but at times we get it right  ;).
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, the stock 5-66 main gear in the 113 has 32 teeth and the 13-113 pinion has 16, giving it a 2:1 ratio.
The upgraded 5-149 main gear has 34 teeth and the 13-113H pinion has 13, giving it a 2.6+:1 ratio.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Wally15

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 05, 2014, 10:18:39 AMSorry Mike, at times I forget about the new guys. This posting on the upgrade was  directed more towards guys that have been screwing up reels along with me ;D, but at times we get it right  ;).
Unless I'm looking at it wrong, the stock 5-66 main gear in the 113 has 32 teeth and the 13-113 pinion has 16, giving it a 2:1 ratio.
The upgraded 5-149 main gear has 34 teeth and the 13-113H pinion has 13, giving it a 2.6+:1 ratio.
Sal

No problemo. I like having my "comfort zone" pushed. That's how we learn. Sort of Cal's grease for the synapses :)
The 5-149 shown in SBT is probably a generic pic of a gear. 2.6:1 would get me halfway to a 113H ratio. That might be worth spending an extra $25 or so per reel. Plus the comfort of knowing it's new.
"Ratio-wise", since it's halfway to an H (3.25?), I think I'll call it a D model Grouper Special  :). Over the years I helped upgrade a lot of D model Huey helicopters to the H model. Kind of neat to reverse the process with a fishing reel.
Think I'll go for the 2:6:1 while I'm doing the drag and gear sleeve. Remember my post from a few days ago, "You guys are costing me money" ? :'(
Two other questions:
1 - no one even attempted to answer my last question in the original post:
"How do you guys keep track of which reel has what mods"?
2 - How do you guys "cut and paste" for quotes so you end up with nice and neat blue boxes in your post. I cannot figure that out.

Mike
"Fire and Rain"
James Taylor

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 05, 2014, 10:18:39 AMUnless I'm looking at it wrong, the stock 5-66 main gear in the 113 has 32 teeth and the 13-113 pinion has 16, giving it a 2:1 ratio.
Sal

This works well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Keta

Quote from: Wally15 on December 05, 2014, 12:57:12 PM

Two other questions:
1 - no one even attempted to answer my last question in the original post:
"How do you guys keep track of which reel has what mods"?
2 - How do you guys "cut and paste" for quotes so you end up with nice and neat blue boxes in your post. I cannot figure that out.

Mike

#1  Mark the reel seat.

#2  Use the "quote" button upper right.  I hope you don't mind me "fixing" your post for you....the hard way ;D
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

I too lose track on which reels have the SS gears and such. I have to take a quick look..
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL