SS screws for Penn reels

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Yeah no problem Sal. Here you go.

As you can see they really don't stick out at all.

Quote from: Bryan Young on December 17, 2014, 01:40:23 AM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM
Hey guys I have been looking for some SS screws for the jigmaster and other Penn reels that have the bakelite side plate with out the outer ring. Here is what I found and it's working great!! They are 316 stainless steel 5-40 screws from McMaster.

So that's were Alan got his screws from.  I used those screws on all of the Accuplate conversions.  Look good and no slipping of the screw driver to damage the sideplate.

The no slip is nice. For the accuplates you will need at least a 1/2, if not a 5/8 screw.

alantani

correct, mcmaster has them.  wish they had others. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Those don't look like the ones I have, yours fit much better. You did good Jason, now go find the ss  screws for the bridge ;) ;D.
Thanks for taking the pics, I will be placing my order shortly ;D.
Sal

Is this the correct part# ? http://www.mcmaster.com/#92185A134
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 17, 2014, 03:53:13 AM
Those don't look like the ones I have, yours fit much better. You did good Jason, now go find the ss  screws for the bridge ;) ;D.
Thanks for taking the pics, I will be placing my order shortly ;D.
Sal

Is this the correct part# ? http://www.mcmaster.com/#92185A134

Thanks Im glad I could offer something. We will see about the bridge screws  ;)
Yup those are the exact ones, same part number I got.

Alto Mare

Jason, I've noticed that you've also replaced the handle set screw. Dealing with the slotted screws there is crazy.
Did you use these or did you cut them down? http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196A124 .
they are 3/16", I thought 1/4" would be too long. maybe we need 1/8" :-\
I do not enjoy shortening ss screws.  ;) ;D

Thanks again.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

Adam gave me some for the Shark handles. I used one on the Purple WEX.
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 17, 2014, 11:31:17 AM
Jason, I've noticed that you've also replaced the handle set screw. Dealing with the slotted screws there is crazy.
Did you use these or did you cut them down? http://www.mcmaster.com/#92196A124 .
they are 3/16", I thought 1/4" would be too long. maybe we need 1/8" :-\
I do not enjoy shortening ss screws.  ;) ;D

Thanks again.
Sal

I cut them down. I screwed the screw into a old beat up handle then cut and Dremel the excess that's protruding out. The 3/16 would better but still might have to trim them though. Adam had some for sure. Bought had from him that came with one.

Alto Mare

That's right, I forgot all about Adam. I'm sure he will let us know the size and where he got them from.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Ok guys, So I looked into getting screws for the accurate conversions as Bryan stated earlier. Here is what I found

I used the same socket head 5-40 thread 316 SS screws as before just different sizes. From what I can tell the accurate screws come in 3 different sizes. From left to right its 1/2", 5/8" and a 3/4" screw. The SS screws are right next them. As you can see for the 3/4" all I had was a 1in screw so later I just cut it to size, but Mcmaster has them in 3/4" size with the full thread.

I used mainly the 5/8" size for the most the screw replacement. Looks pretty nice and its a no slip screw.

The 1/2" screw is really only used if you are using the accurate frame as well. As the accurate frames have holes in the bottom where you can see the screw protruding if its to long.

Here is the Tiburon.

Lastly the 3/4" screw is used for the handle side plate. A longer screw is required because that part is raised to fit the bridge and gears.

Shark Hunter

Jason,
Keep up the good work Buddy!
These are some very useful tips. ;D
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: alantani on December 17, 2014, 02:38:58 AM
correct, mcmaster has them.  wish they had others. 

I know what you mean Alan. Still looking for a good replacement for a lot of other reels.  :-\

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 30, 2014, 06:41:51 AM
Jason,
Keep up the good work Buddy!
These are some very useful tips. ;D

Thanks Daron, Just trying to give back a little.

fIsHsTiiCkS

For you Newell guys here is a site that most you guys prob know but for those that dont here it is.

http://www.uluajunkies.com/shopnewell.html

Has all the SS screws you need from sideplate to bridge. Also, some cool accessories.

Alto Mare

I exchanged a couple of emails with parts department at Mc Master Carr, about getting us some of the same ss screws for the 6/0's, they will check into it...we'll see.
The handle screws are too long, I thought Adam was going to help with where he got his from :-\.
I will also request the Acetal spring washers for the 4/0's and 6/0's, I'm liking it very much, besides making everything smoother, the star turns with little effort.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 31, 2014, 09:51:50 PM
I exchanged a couple of emails with parts department at Mc Master Carr, about getting us some of the same ss screws for the 6/0's, they will check into it...we'll see.
The handle screws are too long, I thought Adam was going to help with where he got his from :-\.
I will also request the Acetal spring washers for the 4/0's and 6/0's, I'm liking it very much, besides making everything smoother, the star turns with little effort.

Nice! Have been talking to them about bridge screws. Trying to get the best ones for the yoke screws. I really like the Acetal washer idea, I will have to look into getting some.