SS screws for Penn reels

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike1010

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 21, 2015, 01:57:35 AM
Quote from: mike1010 on February 20, 2015, 04:18:17 PM
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on February 12, 2015, 05:27:37 PM
Those look great! I have also been buying the Stainless steel countersink flat heads from Mcmaster. I put a piece of tape on them to protect the threads and chuck them up in my electric drill. Using a mill smooth file
I put a nice dome shape on them and polish with a few different grades of emery. Penns  price .65 cents ea.      Mcmaster About a nickel with a few minutes work. How can you beat it?
Lou, did you find screws that fit the countersink angle in the ring under the JM head plate?  Thanks.

Mike

As I stated before I found screw replacements for this. Here they are.

The screws come from Ulua Junkies, which I think a few members are familiar with. http://www.uluajunkies.com/shopnewell.html Its the SS slotted screws in the 5/8 length. He has increased to $1.25 a screw which is why I have waited on posting these, trying to find more cost effective screws.

Thanks, but I am looking for the socket head equivalent.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: mike1010 on February 21, 2015, 06:21:06 PM
Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 21, 2015, 01:57:35 AM
Quote from: mike1010 on February 20, 2015, 04:18:17 PM
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on February 12, 2015, 05:27:37 PM
Those look great! I have also been buying the Stainless steel countersink flat heads from Mcmaster. I put a piece of tape on them to protect the threads and chuck them up in my electric drill. Using a mill smooth file
I put a nice dome shape on them and polish with a few different grades of emery. Penns  price .65 cents ea.      Mcmaster About a nickel with a few minutes work. How can you beat it?
Lou, did you find screws that fit the countersink angle in the ring under the JM head plate?  Thanks.

Mike

As I stated before I found screw replacements for this. Here they are.

The screws come from Ulua Junkies, which I think a few members are familiar with. http://www.uluajunkies.com/shopnewell.html Its the SS slotted screws in the 5/8 length. He has increased to $1.25 a screw which is why I have waited on posting these, trying to find more cost effective screws.

Thanks, but I am looking for the socket head equivalent.

You are looking to put sokcet head screws here?

mike1010

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on February 22, 2015, 04:32:40 AM
You are looking to put sokcet head screws here?

Yes.  The goal is to have only socket head screws in the reel.  McMaster has socket flat heads, but I don't know if they fit the countersink in the ring.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#socket-head-cap-screws/=w0ru20

fIsHsTiiCkS

They wont, the if you want that then you will have to modify the screw. A few members here have done that.

mike1010

Thanks.  Sounds like if I want to pursue this, I need to up my game from a Dremel, and find a neighbor who has a drill press.

wsenti

Do you guys know of anyone doing this with Penn 12/0 and Penn 14/0's? It seems possible. My fathers' company always orders all types of stainless steel hardware in bulk, seems like they can get pretty much anything.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks.

RowdyW

6/0 and larger Penn reels use 8-40 threaded screws. Any screw head can be modified with a dremel, drill press, grinder, or lathe if you have access to them. There is not a big selection of ss screws for the thread pitch that Penn uses. (5-40, 6/40, 8-40). The latest screws from Penn now seem to be ss not the old style chrome plated brass. You can check with McMaster-Carr as to what is available in the aftermarket.        Rudy

steelfish

hmm seems like I didnt seached effectively when I was looking fro SS hex screws for my 113h with tib frame.
I dropped the idea lots months ago and now I this.

one question before taking this idea again.

the stock penn sideplates screws have a a countersink on them, how the flat socket head hex screws fits so nicely on some reels?
you just keep tighten the screw until is flat / flush on the sideplate ring or do you modified them?

I did see some flat head SS hex screws with the counterskink on them already but everybody seems to choose the sockethead with the bigger hex for the looks I think

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Alex, the flat heads are easily modified. I usually put a bit of masking tape on the threads and chuck them up in my electric drill. Give the head a dome shape with a file and a quick polish with some emery and your good to go.

You definitely don't want to crank the heck out of them!

All the best,  ..  Lou