SS screws for Penn reels

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I'm really liking the upgrade Jason! ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

Looking good Daron!! It's a great little upgrade and the screws are no slip which is very nice! Now if I can just get one of those alantani wrenches I'll be good  ;)

Shark Hunter

The Boss sells them. All you have to do is ask. I usually order a couple handles every few months anyway.
Life is Good!

Shiftee

anybody got  a source for the 114h sideplates? It's 8-40 isnt it? Didnt see them on McMaster

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shiftee on January 12, 2015, 05:54:34 AM
anybody got  a source for the 114h sideplates? It's 8-40 isnt it? Didnt see them on McMaster

I have not looked into the screws for the 114h. If anyone can confirm the thread size. I will track them down and see what I can find!

BMITCH posted some on the first page of this thread. They protrude out far, but do look nice. Maybe he can comment on where he got them!

BMITCH

The 114H does take a 8-40. I was having a tough time finding them so I went up a notch to the 10-32. This required tapping out the existing holes on the penn full frame.

On my 114HLW no problem. Only thing was that the free spool lever would get hung up on the one screw so I just ground it down. I still don't like this though. Too many sharp edges!!

On my standard width 114h full frame you'll notice there are 3 addtional screws (standard full frame only uses 5 to a side) which I had to drill and tap. This was all for esthetics. The free spool lever was doubled up to clear the screw. Looks HD, but doesn't bring anything to the table as so far as strength.

In any case...the holes through the side plates need to be drilled out slightly in order to fit the 10-32 screw coming through. IMHO none of this needs to be done for strength reasons. I was just on a screw bender when doing this and not really satisfied with the screws that Penn was supplying. Lot of work for aesthetics.

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

BMITCH

BTW, all screws were from McMaster Carr.

fIsHsTiiCkS

For the bridge screws, did you have to file down the threads on the up bridge/yoke screws?

BMITCH

Jason, I believe that's what I did. Like two years ago....I need to tear these down again here shortly. I'll let ya know than for sure. Going to be doing a rebuild on my buddies 114H full frame in the next few weeks, so I'm gonna do the same thing to his. If you need that info right away I can take a look tonight and let ya know. I'm not with my reels right at the moment.

Bob

CooldadE

I tried to use unmodified screws on a Jigmaster for the Bridge/yoke and it wouldn't disengage. After chucking the screw up in drill press an filing the correct amount of threads away it worked fine.

Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Shiftee

Finally got around to refinishing my replacement screws for the black out 113 today. The socket caps look so much better on these reels. I also realized that scope/base screws are fairly common in #8-40. I had a couple laying around and they fit the 114HLW perfect. Found enough pachmayr's on ebay to get the job done. They are torx instead of hex but I still think it will be a vast improvement.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121536408741?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: BMITCH on January 12, 2015, 11:52:42 AM
Jason, I believe that's what I did. Like two years ago....I need to tear these down again here shortly. I'll let ya know than for sure. Going to be doing a rebuild on my buddies 114H full frame in the next few weeks, so I'm gonna do the same thing to his. If you need that info right away I can take a look tonight and let ya know. I'm not with my reels right at the moment.

Bob

Just got to see this Bob. Yes when you get a chance I would love to see how you did it. I'm look at some for the jigmaster right now and then on to the bigger penns.

CooldadE that's what I thought would be the best way. Just trying to figure the best way to do it with the minimum amount of alterations.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: Shiftee on January 13, 2015, 07:07:40 AM
Finally got around to refinishing my replacement screws for the black out 113 today. The socket caps look so much better on these reels. I also realized that scope/base screws are fairly common in #8-40. I had a couple laying around and they fit the 114HLW perfect. Found enough pachmayr's on ebay to get the job done. They are torx instead of hex but I still think it will be a vast improvement.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121536408741?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Again amazing work with that reel!! I might have to send you some things to spray with that coating  ;) ;D

I saw those screws before, they aren't SS but much better than the screws Penn provides

Shiftee

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on January 13, 2015, 07:21:05 AM
Quote from: Shiftee on January 13, 2015, 07:07:40 AM

Again amazing work with that reel!! I might have to send you some things to spray with that coating  ;) ;D

I saw those screws before, they aren't SS but much better than the screws Penn provides

Thanks again man. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. Just trying to decide whether to do the 114 to match it or switch it up and use some color. Absolutely, If you ever need anything done just let me know. 
Yea black oxide, definitely a downside. Leupold has some stainless SS #8-40 but I couldnt find any long enough. At least I can cerakote them and keep the rust at bay.

Tightlines667

That  'blacked out', stealth look is pretty cool.  Pays to follow through on the details.  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.