SS screws for Penn reels

Started by fIsHsTiiCkS, December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fIsHsTiiCkS

Hey guys I have been looking for some SS screws for the jigmaster and other Penn reels that have the bakelite side plate with out the outer ring. Here is what I found and it's working great!! They are 316 stainless steel 5-40 screws from McMaster.

The screws side by side. SS one on the left.

I think the screws look awesome. Just hope this helps someone

bluefish69

The reel looks good this way. Different in a good way

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Doug

Thanks for sharing might be just what I am looking for. Did you have to do any alterations to the side plates    Doug

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: bluefish69 on December 16, 2014, 10:26:45 PM
The reel looks good this way. Different in a good way

Mike

I agree! I'm really liking the way the screws look!

Quote from: Doug on December 16, 2014, 10:29:05 PM
Thanks for sharing might be just what I am looking for. Did you have to do any alterations to the side plates    Doug

No alteration at all. These are a direct drop in replacement!

CooldadE

Looks great, no more slipped screwdrivers scratching side plates.... Now you need to swap out those bridge plate screws! I did it on one of my reels, nice finishing touch. I did have to do some shade tree machining on the two clutch screws though. Not that big of a deal...
Cool
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

BMITCH

Yeah I also went through the SS screw mod's.

112H....

114H

And many,many others. About $250 to $300 in screws to McMaster. Had to have the bling ::)

Bob
luck is the residue of design.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Wow Bob! That's on another level than what I did! Very nice. I see you did the bridge screws on the 114h. Yeah, I want to do those to. But like cool said will take a little alteration.  I'll save that for another day  ;D

BMITCH

Yeah,well it doesn't make them any stronger or better.....just cooler 8)

Tightlines667

How did you modify that eccentric lever?  Is the procedure in another post already?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

BMITCH

Doubled them up, one cut off. Clamped together. Than drilled and tapped. This reel worked flawlessly chunking here in the NE a couple months ago.

BMITCH

Or you could go this route....114HLW with the screw ground down. I really don't like this option though. :-\

Too many sharp edges. I just got lazy.

Shark Hunter

Thanks for the tip on those screws fishstick. I definitely will be getting some of those for my Long Beaches and Jigmasters.
Life is Good!

handi2

Quote from: Shark Hunter on December 17, 2014, 12:14:55 AM
Thanks for the tip on those screws fishstick. I definitely will be getting some of those for my Long Beaches and Jigmasters.

I have been using the SS screws for a while now. Sal gave the length dimensions.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Alto Mare

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM
Hey guys I have been looking for some SS screws for the jigmaster and other Penn reels that have the bakelite side plate with out the outer ring. Here is what I found and it's working great!! They are 316 stainless steel 5-40 screws from McMaster.

I think the screws look awesome. Just hope this helps someone
Yes it does help, thanks Jason.
Take a pic of the plate sideways...if you don't mind, I want to see how much the head stick out. Thanks! Sal

I had a bunch from Jeff JVariance, I used to purchase 4 full kits at a time and requested some extra parts in case I needed them. I didn't like the way they stuck out on the stock plate, that's why I asked to see yours.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Quote from: fIsHsTiiCkS on December 16, 2014, 09:49:06 PM

So that's were Alan got his screws from.  I used those screws on all of the Accuplate conversions.  Look good and no slipping of the screw driver to damage the sideplate.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D