Penn 250 Long Beach Bait Caster parts cross over?

Started by speedwagon2, January 23, 2015, 07:58:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedwagon2

Hello everybody,
       I am considering doing a little hot rodding on a Penn Long Beach 250 Live Bait caster.  I am looking for what parts will cross over.  As a minimum it will need an up graded spool, drags, and sleeve if available.  If there is an after market one piece frame that fits that would be great.  Do any of the parts suppliers have spread sheet showing parts cross over?  It looks like a small senator.  This is a long term project;  I am just gathering information so I can decide if this is a good candidate for upgrades.
   Thanks for any help you have,  Dave Babcock

txangler81

Tiburon frames, any jigmaster aluminum spool will work, for drags either 6-60 ht100's from penn or carbontex from smoothdrag it will be the same ones for the squidder 140, and gear sleave I think is a 98-155 like the squidder as well I may be wrong on that though if it is Alan may have some or mysticparts.com shows to still have some of Alan's sleeves left. Some of the other fine folks on here will be able to tell you for certain on the gear sleeve. The only thing left to upgrade if you want is the handle if you want to there are a lot of aftermarket handles or you could get a larger stock handle. I like the look of the stock handles myself they have more personality. ;D

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

txangler81

and it should be a 259 not 250. 250 would be a surfmaster. ;)

Keta

Quote from: txangler81 on January 24, 2015, 04:59:49 AM
and it should be a 259 not 250. 250 would be a surfmaster. ;)

And another good platform to tinker with.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

txangler81

I would enjoy adding one to my collection some day ;D

Keta

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

txangler81

from his description I think he actually has a 259

Keta

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

I believe he knows what he has, maybe he'll let us know at some point ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Dave,

Have you seen this?

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12752.0

and

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9874.0

I have 3 Penn 259s and one of the bridge plates allows me to use a Jigmaster gear sleeve.  2 of them did not.  The gear sleeve shaft on 2 of the bridge plates had a smaller diameter than the first one that I did in my narrowed 259.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

I think I've run into early 60 bridge plates with the smaller shaft too.

Mark Twain

speedwagon2

Hi guys,
    Sorry for the slow response, the day job gets in the way.  You are correct this reel is a 259 Long Beach bait caster.  It was mislabled on E bay.  It is in great condition.  it measures 2 and 7/16" width.  The gearing is about 3.25 turns to one.  The spool appears to be a chromed material of some sort. The finish really good, very little corrosion.  This will be my first penn project. I am going to plan this out and build it later this year.  I have not opened it up yet.  Got to finish the newell projects for this years fishing. If possible, I want to build it to 40lb braid and fish for YTs and schoolie tuna. What I use it for will depend on what upgrade parts are available.  The gearing is faster then I expected, but not as fast as I like.
1. Will any of the Tiburon or Accurate frames work at the stock width or a little narrower?  I like the 1/0 senator/322 width but could live with 2 and 7/16".
2. If there are no one piece frames available, Will any of the Newell base and spacers fit? or possibly some after market SS posts?
It appears that I have some choices on brakes. I would like an honest 10-12 lbs of drag for YTs and small tuna.  My Newells have a lot more, but I seldom need it.  I cranked the drag down on my 322 for only one fish last year, which was a 33lb yellow fin with a lot of attitude.
   Thanks for all the info, Dave Babcock(AKA Speedwagon II)

Bryan Young

Quote from: speedwagon2 on January 29, 2015, 03:49:50 PM
Hi guys,
    Sorry for the slow response, the day job gets in the way.  You are correct this reel is a 259 Long Beach bait caster.  It was mislabled on E bay.  It is in great condition.  it measures 2 and 7/16" width.  The gearing is about 3.25 turns to one.  The spool appears to be a chromed material of some sort. The finish really good, very little corrosion.  This will be my first penn project. I am going to plan this out and build it later this year.  I have not opened it up yet.  Got to finish the newell projects for this years fishing. If possible, I want to build it to 40lb braid and fish for YTs and schoolie tuna. What I use it for will depend on what upgrade parts are available.  The gearing is faster then I expected, but not as fast as I like.
1. Will any of the Tiburon or Accurate frames work at the stock width or a little narrower?  I like the 1/0 senator/322 width but could live with 2 and 7/16".
2. If there are no one piece frames available, Will any of the Newell base and spacers fit? or possibly some after market SS posts?
It appears that I have some choices on brakes. I would like an honest 10-12 lbs of drag for YTs and small tuna.  My Newells have a lot more, but I seldom need it.  I cranked the drag down on my 322 for only one fish last year, which was a 33lb yellow fin with a lot of attitude.
   Thanks for all the info, Dave Babcock(AKA Speedwagon II)

Hi Dave,

I believe that any Tib or Accurate frame for the jigmaster will work.

Hmm, that reminds me...I think I will look to build a 99 width 259 as well.

Ah, I need one more 259 so I can complete my set.  Narrow.  99 width.  Normal.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Tiburon P20 is what you need. It fits the 259, the Jigmaster 500 and 505.
Life is Good!

foakes

Hey, Dustin (txangler81) --

Glad to see your contributions and knowledge!

It is great for each of us to share our increased tackle knowledge and expertise with new and old alike.

Nice to see members grow and learn -- becoming experts.

That is only one aspect of what makes this site the best in the world for the repairs/upgrades/service -- we do with reels.

Where else can you get this type of information that ranges from a routine service job -- information about old/new parts availability -- custom modifications ranging from the simple to members who have the ability to manufacture special parts -- better than the originals?

And everyone has fun while doing these things.  Don't take everything too seriously -- enjoy!

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.