Northeastern US - Snows a'Coming - Philly to New England...

Started by El Pescador, January 23, 2015, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Send them over, according to the latest forecast, those will come handy in the next day or so.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Aiala

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NEW YORK HAS ISSUED A BLIZZARD WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 PM MONDAY TO MIDNIGHT EST TUESDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS...NEW YORK CITY AND SURROUNDING IMMEDIATE SUBURBS...LONG ISLAND...AND MOST OF SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW...WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 20 TO 30 INCHES...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4
INCHES PER HOUR EXPECTED LATE MONDAY NIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING.

* WINDS...NORTH 30 TO 40 MPH WITH GUSTS 55 TO 65 MPH...STRONGEST ACROSS EASTERN LONG ISLAND.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE LOWER 20S.   :(   :o   :P

And here I sit in sunny Palm Springs, a balmy 81°... well, somebody's gotta do it!  ;D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Reel 224

Well we were lucky up to this point compared to last winter, so here we go snow in the forecast, and lots of it. Snow Plow is ready,chains and weights are ready. So let it snow,let it snow,let it snow. Good wholesome weather. And makes a pretty landscape. ;D 
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Shark Hunter

Be safe guys! 20" to 30"! Holy Cow! :o
Besides the Blizzard of 77, we have had nothing near that at one time.
Life is Good!

BMITCH

Yeah not only lotsa snow but bitter cold after this. Nice!
luck is the residue of design.

Dominick

I notice Broadway Dom is not weighing in on this thread.  That means he is out there plowing.  He has it rough when it snows.  Good luck and be safe.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Dominick

I'm sure one of us over here has a spare Shovel for you to use & help us out.

Come on Dominick give us a hand & no APPLAUSE either.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

MarkT

Comes with the territory, like droughts out here!  I've shoveled my share in Chicago, Denver and Connecticut. CT was the worst... Big corner lot. Sometimes the neighbors took pity and brought their snowblower over to help out.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Shark Hunter

20" doesn't come with any territory Mark. No offense brother, but I hope they are wrong!
Life is Good!

MarkT

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 26, 2015, 04:44:30 AM
20" doesn't come with any territory Mark. No offense brother, but I hope they are wrong!
Really? If you live in the Northeast you have to expect it, it really does come with the territory. We had drifts up to the roof in Chicago. We had snow in Cincinnati but not that much. We had plenty of snow in Denver, I remember the neighbors racing snow mobiles up and down the street. I remember an ice storm on top of 1' of snow in CT (Hartford) back in the winter of '72? that had us without power for 5 days. I haven't seen that kind of snow in SoCal except up in the local mountains after a big storm. I've become a wimp and like it out here where we only have spring, summer and fall.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

BMITCH

Yeah two years ago they cancelled Halloween. We got over two feet of the white stuff. I don't mind a load of snow IF it gets warm on the backside of the storm. Doesn't look like that's going to happen on this one though. I'm just hope it's not one of those years where we get a weekly storm. Last time that happen I just plain wore out the tires on my snow blower.lol :o

Reel 224

Anyone remember Buffalo NY this winter 48" or more of snow in one shot. Good to here that there are some concerned about us in the NE but as stated, it comes with the territory...we do prepare for such weather.

We have equipment to plow snow, a generator in case the power is down. In our case plenty of wood for the fire place/Heatalator. This is not unusual for us every few years or so. Personally I don't know why people make such a big deal of it,maybe because the media is so hyped up.

When we were hit with Sandy a few years back, that was out of the ordinary and did some devastating damage to the shore and inland. We did survive however and I am thankful for that.

What I don't find amusing is when people think it's funny because they are in, what they conceive as a better geographic area. Then those of us in the NE. We all have to deal with weather in one way or the other. So get over it. And move on. ;)         
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

BMITCH

Sounds like the folks out east of us here in NE nj are gonna get worse than us. Not always like that but I'm ok with it. Less time on the back end of the snow blower. My only concern is loss of power. Especially with frigid temps on the heels of this front.
   Reel224, I agree. No better place in the world to live. Close to world class beaches,fishing,NYC. The only knock I have about this area is the cost of living. Other than that we got it pretty good.

Alto Mare

Easy there Reel224, you're right about the media, that's their way of stimulating the economy ::), but don't depend on your equipment, mother nature is the boss and i never forget it.
Most of us are not worried about food or anything like that, if there need to be, there could always be a squirrel roasting on my fire. ;)  ;D There is always a way.
Being in construction for over 40 years, I worry more about roofs caving in, this is a serious threat. Drifting snow could do a good job at that.
Lets hope we'll all be safe. ;)
My daughter is in Boston, they're expecting over 3', that's what I worry about the most.

Hang in there guys, go work on some reels and get your mind off of it.
We will all be ok.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.