Which conventional to rebuild for surf fishing??

Started by TheReelGuy850, January 26, 2015, 02:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReelGuy850

Wanting to find a project reel to build for surf casting here in the panhandle.Any suggestions??I have plenty of time..so no rush to build.Just want a surf fishing tank that'll sling some lead ;D
The Reel Guy
Fishing reel and rod repair service
Panama City, Florida

txangler81

The jigmasters seem to have the most aftermarket parts available. some of it depends on what you are fishing for.

Slazmo

A Aussie built "Sea Martin".

A pretty simplistic design that'll cop a flogging at the beach and you'llbe the only person with one on any stretch of beach.

BMITCH

Depends on what and how your gonna fish it. Up here in the NE I was using Newell 200 series. Really smooth and light. Great reel for both bait and lures. If you need magnetic cast control then there are any options. For this I was using squidders with mags installed. Good reel for bait and weight. If your looking to build one then maybe the jigmaster is the way to go. Lotsa parts available. If you build one share your success with us. Whatever you choose good luck!
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

foakes

Old school -- Squidders, , Surfmasters, Jigmasters

Current -- Squall or Slosh

For me, it boils down to simplicity and strength and ease of cleaning after being in the salt spray -- or maybe getting dunked.

Good Luck -- and share with some pics your chosen project.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Bryan Young

Also for old school, if you are looking for a lever drag, TLD5 or TLD10 are great choices.

New School Lever Drag:  Squall
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Aiala

Don't see how you could go wrong with one of the classic Penn Mag Powers (970, 980, 990). They show up fairly regularly on fleaBay, and are terrific reels; just ask Sal!  ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

steelfish

my casting reel for baitfishing is a saltist 20h... not the best but cast like a champ and its all metal also really simple on the insides to clean regulary
The Baja Guy

TheReelGuy850

Well ladies and gentlemen i do believe after some long hard thinking i will go with the jigmaster ;D Any hotrodding ideas??Just love those old MADE IN USA PENNS
The Reel Guy
Panama City, Florida

CooldadE

Great starting point. You could go mild $ to wild $$$
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

Shark Hunter

SS Sleeve, 5 stack drag kit, steel gears and Tib Frame.
Life is Good!

foakes

I agree with Daron -- and you should consider a power handle and crank since the SS sleeve, steels gears, and upgraded greased drag stack will handle most anything in the surf -- just need a good power crank with the proper angle for comfortable control.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

CooldadE

I have three sizes of Jigmasters. 500 size, 99 size and 501 size. They all cast well but the narrower reels seem to cast better...
I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...

TheReelGuy850

Once i get m 309 lw hotrodded a bit and completed ill be searching for a jig master.Question??Whats the cost of the narrowed frame kit?And will it cast decent?Should i mag it??
The Reel Guy
Panama City, Florida