Fun with Mitchell Spinning Reels: formerly Mitchell Madness + 304 parts request

Started by newfuturevintage, February 03, 2015, 12:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

newfuturevintage

Picked up a scrap-box off of craigslist last weekend for $30:

It was advertised as "old reels, one big, one small, + box of non-working stuff".  Only the 300 (pre '3-0-0' stamp), and the 408 were pictured.

I got it mainly for the 408, less for the 300 (both well used, but in great mechanical shape).  
I was pleased to see the 301 (after a gentle bail-wire bend to square it with the rotor head) was in good shape, as was the 320 (well, other than the fact it was actually designed, built, and sold).  If I can find a handle for the Daiwa 1300c at a reasonable price, I'll definitely press it into service.

So the 304:
It needs a bail screw #2 (81-013, the non-spring side) as I donated its screw to the 301.
I also suspect it needs an oscillation slide (81-131).  The spool has a fair amount of play in it, I think due to the original slide wobbling against the axle from wear.  Would love to know if this sounds about right, and if anyone here has these parts to sell.  

Thanks!

Ron

foakes

I'll check what I have, Ron --

Should have everything you need as NOS.

Lots of old new Mitchell parts.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: foakes on February 03, 2015, 02:41:57 AM
I'll check what I have, Ron --

Should have everything you need as NOS.

Lots of old new Mitchell parts.

Best,

Fred

Awesome, thanks, Fred!

I also received the parts from you yesterday for the 302, and have an envelope with some cash headed back your way leaving today!

Much appreciated,

Ron

foakes

Hi Ron --

If this is what you need, I'll drop it in the mail today.

Please confirm.

Also, on the Daiwa Handle -- likely have a few that will fit -- but every 1300C I have pulled out of boxes, has no handle, so far.

So you might be able to order one from one of the online stores, or find another great box like the last one -- full of good reels -- or if you really get stuck, let me know -- and I will dig deeper.  I do have a few factory parts interchangeability reference manuals from Daiwa.

I did not have the Oscillation Slide in my NOS Mitchell parts -- so I pulled one out of a new, crisp 304S -- which I will replace from other stock, later today.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Yes! 

Those are the parts, thanks!

If the cover-screws aren't at all dear to you, would you be OK with including one?  One of the three on mine is chewed up, not so bad as to be inoperable, but I suspect it's not going to last much longer. Totally not a problem if you can't.

I'll keep an eye out for the Daiwa handle. Found a few on ebay, but they're going for more than the reel's worth, so I can wait. I do have the big brother to this reel in the 7000c that I use for pier and surfcast snare crabbing, and it's a really fun workhorse.

Thanks, Fred!

Ron

foakes

Ok, that is good, Ron --

I'll include a cover screw.

Too late for PO today -- likely tomorrow now.

I have hundreds of Spinning reel handles that I have stripped off of old spinners -- if you wish, I could try and match one up with a 1300C that I have.

Problem with ebay is -- pay $5-$10 for a handle, $5 shipping -- then you are not sure of it will work or not.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Thinking of making this the general "fun with mitchell spinning reels" thread :)

Next up:

Mitchell 301 in the pic upstairs:

Formerly thought it 100%, but it turns out that the plastic gear on the axle that mates with the spool bottom is loose.  Haven't seen that before, but hey, I'm new at this!  So it's behaving like the drag is set to about 2 or 4 lbs of tension at all times. It can be turned by hand.  Seems that according to the schematic/ parts list this is supposed to be permanently affixed to the axle (shown as a single part #). 
Given I don't fish lefty, and I've got reels for my wife who does, it's not a high priority fix, but I wanted to find out if anybody's had any luck locking these back into position. Maybe by sneaking CA glue or epoxy underneath the gear? 

Thanks,

Ron

foakes

Hi Ron --

If the plastic gear is slipping on the spool post -- it's toast.

No way to reliably glue or fasten -- plus if slipping, other areas are likely worn out also.

I'll just send out a new spool post with your other parts.

Couldn't get by the PO yet, since they are about 9 miles down the hill, and close up at 4:00 every week day.

So they will all go out in the same package tomorrow.

Also included will be the additional side plate screw for the 304.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

newfuturevintage

Quote from: foakes on February 09, 2015, 09:31:16 PM
If the plastic gear is slipping on the spool post -- it's toast.

I had a feeling that'd be the case.  Thanks for saving me on the effort!

Quote from: foakes on February 09, 2015, 09:31:16 PM
I'll just send out a new spool post with your other parts.

Couldn't get by the PO yet, since they are about 9 miles down the hill, and close up at 4:00 every week day.

So they will all go out in the same package tomorrow.

Also included will be the additional side plate screw for the 304.

Thanks, Fred!  I really appreciate this!

Please feel free to drop an invoice in the envelope, you've gone above and beyond yet again!

Ron

Aiala

Quote from: newfuturevintage on February 09, 2015, 08:45:04 PM
Thinking of making this the general "Fun with Mitchell spinning reels" thread.  :)

Great idea! Count me in.  :D

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

newfuturevintage

Aiala

Okay, here's a little issue that's been driving me bats: After disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling my classic 402, to my considerable consternation I found I had this minuscule "leftover":

I've been over my 402 schematic with a magnifying glass until I'm blue in the face, but for the life of me I cannot locate this tiny piece. And the strange thing is, my reel operates flawlessly without it, which leads me to believe that it's non-essential... but if that's so, WHY does it even exist in the first place?? 

The only clue I have –and it isn't much of one– is that I originally found the piece sitting in grease along the axle (part #81357).

Needless to say, any help/guidance/advice would be extremely welcome.    :-\   

~A~                                                                                     

foakes

Hmmmmm, Aiala --

I don't believe that goes anywhere on your 402.

Maybe it fell off of your magnifying glass!

Don't sweat it -- but someday you will find where it goes -- and it likely will be important -- but not on your 402.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on February 11, 2015, 12:12:04 AM
Hmmmmm, Aiala -- I don't believe that goes anywhere on your 402.

Well, Fred, I'm not going to worry about it. I KNOW the darn thing was in there, and it didn't fall off my glasses or whatever. Maybe the previous owner(s) left it in there by mistake, like a surgeon forgetting a hemostat in a patient's abdomen...?

I guess it'll just be one of those enduring mysteries we all encounter sometimes. The important thing is that the reel works like a charm... I cannot wait to take her fishing!   ;)

~A~

newfuturevintage

Quote from: Aiala on February 11, 2015, 01:47:37 AM
Well, Fred, I'm not going to worry about it. I KNOW the darn thing was in there, and it didn't fall off my glasses or whatever. Maybe the previous owner(s) left it in there by mistake, like a surgeon forgetting a hemostat in a patient's abdomen...?

I guess it'll just be one of those enduring mysteries we all encounter sometimes. The important thing is that the reel works like a charm... I cannot wait to take her fishing!   ;)

~A~

When I cleaned and spruced up my 302 last weekend, I found that same (or very similar) brass clip in my grease rag.  Doesn't show up in the 302 schematic, or at least not cleanly enough to be recognized in any of the scanned schematics I found online. 

It had some striations parallel to the long dimension of the clip, so I figured it must have come from a moving part.  The only place it fit was clipped around one side of oscillation guide 81414. It seems to be a thin shim to get rid of the tiny amount of play in the guide. 

I could be wrong, but I'd bet this is what you've got there.