SHIMANO TTS80 - Triton Trolling Series Single Speed 80W

Started by ohfishalee, February 18, 2015, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohfishalee

UPDATE

The reel performed admirably on both the first and second occasion offshore with a #12 Old Salty putting it to the test with a 85% pass rate. The remaining 15% is reserved for when I actually get a bite on the planer setup!

Tightlines667

Glad to hear it.  Run that planer board on the upcurrent side of Challenger or Argus Bank and tou should get your hookup on the planer one of these days.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ohfishalee

In fact, I had a strike on the #16 but inexperience cost me the fish and that was on a day that we caught 11 wahoo - 7 on the downriggers and 4 on the surface lines with 5 fish lost to short strikes and a cut off when the mono touched the spectra

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on March 17, 2015, 10:45:06 PM
In fact, I had a strike on the #16 but inexperience cost me the fish and that was on a day that we caught 11 wahoo - 7 on the downriggers and 4 on the surface lines with 5 fish lost to short strikes and a cut off when the mono touched the spectra

Wow!  Now thats a good day!  I miss trolling for Wahoo with downriggers in Bermuda.  That spectra is sharp stuff, is a bit dangerous to handle when under pressure, and can definately cause cut offs when a 'hot' fish crosses the lines.  Nice having the extra line capacity, and less drag in the water though.

Not to 'One up' you or anything, but my best day of Wahoo fishing was out of a small 17' Whaler in the remote Northwestern Hawaiian Islands where I caught 50+ Wahoo in under 5hrs.  I actually released the last 2 because I ran out of room in the small boat.  We caught the last few on homemade lures out of plastic bottlecaps and bare hooks, since I had no squid skirts remaining. 

I had to build a smoker to smoke the fish, since we quickly ran out of freezer space at the remote Attoll.  I won't forget that morning.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

ohfishalee

Thanks to a new friend on this site, two reels are en route from Hawaii. Looking forward to getting these reels.

I've been advised that I need to contact Dawn at Smoothdrag as I want to convert one to cf drag system.

Will have to do the strip down first but that is the plan.

Thanks in advance for your assistance John - who went out of his way to collect, package and ship the reels for me.

Robert Janssen

Quote from: ohfishalee on May 06, 2015, 09:33:58 AM

I've been advised that I need to contact Dawn at Smoothdrag as I want to convert one to cf drag system.

They had CF to begin with; an early shimano version. Maybe you just want new cf?

ohfishalee

Quote from: Robert Janssen on May 06, 2015, 10:17:12 AM

They had CF to begin with; an early shimano version. Maybe you just want new cf?

I've always known this model to have the 'Titanium' Drag which is fibre based.

Tightlines667

I know all the older ones were the dry white canvas (i.e. Titanium).  I'd crack em open when you get them anyways before ordering parts.  You may need bearings, bellevilles, and drag washers.  I think the TLD 50 washer w/o outter ears is the one you want.  Then just punch out (or cut) the 4 inner holes To fit.  Alan or Dawn can confirm which CF washer you need.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

^^^ Sweet Pics of the reels - they show in excellent condition from where I am looking!

Will crack them open carefully once they arrive and update everyone.

ohfishalee

Thanks to Tightlines666 (and USPS.com) - my reels arrived today and my first impression has been great thus far. In fact, they have exceeded my expectations at a glance.

All I need to do is get them broken down and see what the internal condition is like.

Shimano America takes too long to respond to queries about parts!!

Does Glen in San Diego sell parts?

Any other sources for parts that :

• sell parts to persons outside of their shop customers and ship within the Cont. US?
  • have good communication;
  • have good communication;
  • have an online parts list (I know that one is a long shot);

ohfishalee

So I have stripped one down.

I tested the mechanisms before I did so and when pulling line off the reel, it made a grinding/humming  noise. Nothing clunky or grainy as if there was loose metal inside but other than that there were no worries..

The humming noise went away after I pulled line off a few times (perhaps the Titanium Drag was rubbing against the pressure plate - as I suppose it should). once it was "warmed up" the noise went away.

The other noise is explained below:

Upon stripping it I see that the cooling plate had what appeared to be evidence of one of the ridges having made metal to metal contact abruptly replying  >:( spellcheck  >:( resulting in some stressed metal.

All of the pictures will paint a picture of what appears to be a well maintained reel depute the damage mentioned above.

Pics have been added but don't know how to change the description of the pics.

I will have to take pics of the camshaft and bellevilles the next time I strip it down.

ohfishalee

More pics

ohfishalee

More pics

ohfishalee

More.....