http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7079.msg60095#msg60095

[url]http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7895.msg68013#msg68013[url]

Here are the links showing the two speed conversion

ohfishalee

Quote from: jonnou on May 29, 2015, 11:35:17 AM
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7079.msg60095#msg60095

[url]http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=7895.msg68013#msg68013[url]

Here are the links showing the two speed conversion

So does the 80w have a similar conversion?

Cal's 2 Speed only does the 50 not the 80. They said they service the 80w but no real conversions.

ohfishalee

I have stripped one of the new acquisitions and found severe metal to metal contact between the one piece frame on the inside right side and the outside of the cooling shield. It appears that the two parts, one stationary, the other moving. Looks like over a prolonged period of time.

I put a "shim" under the spacer that goes on the spool shaft in between the pressure plate and the right side bearing. This increased the clearance between the frame and cooling shield.

Now I have the pre-program dial set to "zero" and the drag is now at full when the lever is at the strike setting.

Where can I get stainless metal shims of varying thickness to replace what is really a SS washer :'(  >:(

Tightlines667

Shimano will have what you need.  0.3mm thick, SS spool shaft dia shims.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 08, 2015, 12:30:44 AM
Shimano will have what you need.  0.3mm thick, SS spool shaft dia shims.

Thanks. It feels like pulling teeth dealing with them sometimes. Will look into it.

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on June 08, 2015, 09:32:51 AM

Thanks. It feels like pulling teeth dealing with them sometimes. Will look into it.

You might try making your own out of a thin sheet of aluminum, or sanding down the thinest SS washer you can find on a piece of glass, or something to keep it flat.  Alternatively, I can get some from a friend, throw them in an envelope, and send them your way.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 08, 2015, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: ohfishalee on June 08, 2015, 09:32:51 AM

You might try making your own out of a thin sheet of aluminum, or sanding down the thinest SS washer you can find on a piece of glass, or something to keep it flat.  Alternatively, I can get some from a friend, throw them in an envelope, and send them your way.

I like the envelope route. I will email you my mailing address in a few.

ohfishalee

Update

In spite of the washer being an obvious quick fix for proper shims, it should be noted that we took the reel out the other day and it perform satisfactorily. We were live baiting speedos on the downriggers at 4kts and had a few strikes. Best fish was a 45lb wahoo that was handled quite easily.

The main point is that the drag performed well and did not have the appearance of any kind of metal to metal contact between the one piece frame on the inside right side of the spool housing.

Awaiting some shims that should allow similar clearance but with the ability to have more drag range.

Will keep you posted.

Tightlines667

Nice work Gavin!  I'm jealous..and miss catching tnose Bermuda 'hoos'.  

BTW..shims R on the way today :)

Also, did you ever find a use for the Cal's International 'super stand' that was the wrong size for your reel?
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Thanks. I sent the part back and replaced it with the correct part.

Robm12403

I am new to this site and am not sure if this is where I should make this post. here it goes.
I recently acquired two TTS80W's from a guy on Long Island who bought them new. One has had line on it and supposedly never fished. The other one is still in the box with all the hardware and has never had line on it and is in mint condition. I also have a TTS30, 50 and 50W that are all in great condition. I would like to have the 50W and the used 80W converted to two speed if possible. I would like to offer the new 80W as a possible trade for that service. Let me know if that sounds reasonable.

ohfishalee

JasonD

Is there anyone who can service these reels? I have one I would like to start using but when it was given to me the owner said he hadn't ever had the reel serviced. Any ideas?