SHIMANO TTS80 - Triton Trolling Series Single Speed 80W

Started by ohfishalee, February 18, 2015, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

you have to have some freespool, otherwise you can't let the line out without pulling by hand.  i guess, though, if the boat is moving, it really doesn't matter that much. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Also, typically when a reel is set to the point where it no longer has freespool at a given strike setting this is, in effect, that particular reel's max 'effective drag' setting at strike.  Fishing mostbreel models past this preset setting can result in damage due to excessive side loads on the bearing(s).  The Triton's frame and gear set can stand up to pretty high loads, but bearings can fail with excessive side loads.  The pinion (or right plate) bearing is usually the first to go.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

TomT

For trolling for salmon in Nor Cal you are trolling with weight or down riggers so you do not need free spool.   I also fish in Baja on Panga (boats) with captains that prefer to slow troll with bait and the reel in free spool.  You do not want lots of free spool with this set up as line will pay out all the time.  So I guess my answer for free spool is it "depends" ;) ::)   I know that the only feature I do not like about my Baja Special is that it has TOO much free spool---But most Baja Special owners prefer them because they have good free spool.
TomT

ohfishalee

I have another reel that has a slight loss of freespool when the lever is "disengaged" in other words I can rotate the handle and the reel slightly engages. At strike it still let's off line. Is this necessarily bad or is it still another issue that I am describing. By my estimation it is OK with no excessive load on the bearings or sideplate   I hope that I am correct because it is meant to be a planer rod reel and I do not except to have to do much else to it but wind in fish!

Tightlines667

If you back of the preset slightly does it fully disengage into proper freespool?  Alao, have you already serviced this one?  Sometimes the bellevilles can show some corrosion, or there can be some slight marring on the spool shaft where it passes through the right spoop bearing casing it to hang up slightly when disengaging.  If you havn't cracked it yet, I would have a look.  If you were to steepen the drag curve by rearranging the belleville config to say (((()))), you will decrease the spacing along the spool shaft, and might gain a more definate disenagement.  I would just play around with your belleville config, and spool spacing (w/0.3mm shims) until you are able to get the drag range and curve you are looking for.  Kinda trial and error here.  Also, check to make sure there is no noticable laterial play in the drive shaft, if there is you csn shim under the nain gear to correct.  Alan telks me there is no definate bump from engaged to freespool in the threaded cam assembly on these reels, so that may explain the tendancy to not fully drop into freespool.  I havn't actually worked on these single speeds, so I'm not sure, but I would do a full service first, then make some final adjystments with bellevilkes and shims to get the performance you are looking for.  Check out my post on servicing internationals, where I explain the process I use to test and adjust these larger lever drag reels, if you havn't already done so.  Keep us posted.
Hope springs eternal

Rothmar2

This is the link tightlines is referring to

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.0

It deserves to be stickied.

ohfishalee

Quote from: Rothmar2 on February 20, 2015, 02:19:30 AM
This is the link tightlines is referring to

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10116.0

It deserves to be stickied.

Yes it does deserve to be stickied!! wish there was more pics of the 80W International stripdown - good thing is that they are relatively easy to work on IMHO

Bryan Young

Quote from: ohfishalee on February 19, 2015, 03:32:05 AM
Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2015, 02:56:57 AM
check your drag range first.  someone had monkeyed with the two reels that i tore down.  i was getting 10 pounds of drag at strike before losing free spool.  the bellevilles on the left side were "()" and the bellevilles on the right were "()()()".  i put a flat washer on the left side and put all the bellevilles on the right in a "(((())))" configuration.  it was the only way that i could get the 25 pounds of drag at strike that the owner needed.  unfortunately, there was so much pressure on the side plate bearings that it was loading up.  i just could not get them to work any other way.   :-\

I know this is asked often but what is the greatest advantage of having freespool on a reel (used for trolling) at strike versus not having much at all?

For trolling, not much...but if you may toss a live bait, this may be different.  Live baiting, you will want your bait to swim as freely as possible and low resistance of the line peeling off versus higher resistance could be the difference between a strike or an untouched bait.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ohfishalee

Are the bearings recommended below both required for the TTS 80? I have the schematic for the TTS 80 and can only see 4 washers but would they not  be ?TT0033?

(2-TT0575 & 3-TT0576) are recommended below but on https://fishshop.shimano.com/vip/product_detail.jsp I do not see TT0575 listed anywhere. Haven't had much luck with any other Shimano parts suppliers

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 18, 2015, 05:50:58 PM
Quote from: ohfishalee on February 18, 2015, 03:01:32 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 18, 2015, 04:48:35 AM
I checked my records and this is not one of those that I have serviced.  Could have been any number of about a dozen or so different guys/gals that have routinely serviced larger reels here.  Why are you trying to track down the person who made the rod, and serviced the reels?  if you don't mind me asking?

I am really more interested in spares for this reel - who supplies them is of interest (i don't have an immediate need but i also understand that the rubber pressure disc goes bad so any leads on a replacement before it happens is ideal. i am also toying with a CF disc upgrade if such a service exists.

i note that there are no threads on this reel specifically and have relied heavily on advice from this site for my other reels as I was previously afraid to strip any of my reels and now perform basic service to keep them in tip top shape.

I can certainly check with my contacts around town and see if I can come up with any information for you.  But I can tell you my previous research on the tpoic lead me to believe there are really only 2 guys I know of that service these reels regularily.  A guy in CA, and a guy in AU.  Having said that I have serviced several for some of my local customers.  As a matter of fact, I am actually in the middle of servicing 2 Triton 50/80 2-speeds right now.  See my post in these threads (if you havn't done so already)...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8880.0

I would recommend buying:

-A sheet of Butyl rubber to use a replacement for the silicon disc from McMaster Carr

-Carbon Fiber drag discs (1/reel) from Dawn at smoothdrag, or if she doesn't carry precut washers for your reel, you may need to order a sheet or 2 and cut them yourself.

-Replacement Bearings (2-TT0575 & 3-TT0576) and Bellevilles (6 for Tiagra80WA) from Shimano.

Some of the parts on these reels (such as the cam assembly, plunger/outter 2 speed mech, clicker ratchet, bearings, bellevilles, and 2-speed shift spring, dog springs , and all/most screws) have modern Shimano replacements.  However, many can not be replaced with new (including the pressure plate, metal drag disc, dogs, drive shaft &bushing, clicker pawl, spool, side plates, etc...) so you are wise to look for used 'parts reels'.  Ocassionally, (like a couple of times/year max), I see a used reel or 2 up for sale here in HI.  You can keep an eye out on HI craigslist and if you see something you want, I would be happy to pick it up for you, and ship to you in Bermuda (Provided you could cover my shipping costs). 

It is great to see a Bermudian fisherman on the site!  I was junior angler of the year in the SeaHorse Fishing Club each of the 4 years in the mid eighties I lived there.  I beat out Captain Alan Card's son who as I recall was a close runner up.  Do you know Andrew Card?  He recently mentioned to my dad that these Tritons are highly sought after by Bermudian fisherman.  Also, I would be interested to know if the photo of me with my 64lb Wahoo on 16 is still hanging in the tackle shop in Hamilton?

Tightlines667

I am not sure which size bearings you need for this reel model, but I believe all will be the same size.  It would be good if you could pull them and measure before ordering.  The right spool bearing will tell you which 4 bellevilles to order (Same reel model).  I would guess you need 4 of the larger bearings.  I am traveling today, but can confirm when I return home, or maybe someo e else can chime in.  As I said, I have never serviced this reel model.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 22, 2015, 05:18:29 PM
I am not sure which size bearings you need for this reel model, but I believe all will be the same size.  It would be good if you could pull them and measure before ordering.  The right spool bearing will tell you which 4 bellevilles to order (Same reel model).  I would guess you need 4 of the larger bearings.  I am traveling today, but can confirm when I return home, or maybe someo e else can chime in.  As I said, I have never serviced this reel model.

thanks - reminds me to buy a set of calipers. appreciate the help!

Tightlines667

I believe the bearings are TT0576 7X8X22
and the Bellevilles are RD8341 you should confirm by measuring and/or talking to Shimano first before ordering.  If the inner diameter of bearings and Bellevilles is 8mm then these are likely what you will need. 

Did you get your replacement drag material ordered?
Did you get the service sorted out on your 80W, and 80STW reels already?  Feel free to PM me if you need any additional assistance?
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 24, 2015, 11:34:50 PM
I believe the bearings are TT0576 7X8X22
and the Bellevilles are RD8341 you should confirm by measuring and/or talking to Shimano first before ordering.  If the inner diameter of bearings and Bellevilles is 8mm then these are likely what you will need. 

Did you get your replacement drag material ordered?
Did you get the service sorted out on your 80W, and 80STW reels already?  Feel free to PM me if you need any additional assistance?

Thanks - I will be in touch with Shimano and/or Reel Connection for confirmation of the bellevilles and bearings - thanks to you and others on this site it will be a lot easier to source these parts even if they are aftermarket!!

I was having a conniption because I couldn't figure out Shimano's parts website but I got it all figured out.

The 80W is in great shape - all of my questions were really what ifs and due to the intended use as planer reels, I wanted to ensure that the most likely parts to go sour were on my shelf before they did if ever at all - at least my down time would be minimal because anything I get would have to be shipped to Bermuda anyway!

Tightlines667

Glad to hear you are gettimg it all sorted.   Keep us posted on any progress on the Tritons, others may find your experiences useful as well.  Best of luck.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 26, 2015, 12:27:52 AM
Glad to hear you are gettimg it all sorted.   Keep us posted on any progress on the Tritons, others may find your experiences useful as well.  Best of luck.

Definitely will do that - I have been a member/lurker on here for a while but can only sing praises for a virtual bunch of strangers who are spread across the globe with at least one common passion, whether it be fishing, reel repair, contributing to this site or even just lurking out of curiousity -  or whatever it may be - for the betterment of our hobby/profession, etc.