SHIMANO TTS80 - Triton Trolling Series Single Speed 80W

Started by ohfishalee, February 18, 2015, 12:54:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohfishalee

I found two of these reels so once I receive them I think that I will do a tutorial on stripping/servicing one and I am going to look for your advice once I open one up. Haven't seen a tutorial done on here yet so I am volunteering

NOTE: The pics below were from my OP but I will start the strip down at the end of this thread....stay tuned

Tightlines667

Any clues in the reels themselves (i.e. service date stickers, marker on the inside of the side plate, or what type of grease was used)?  5 Oceans, 7 Seas used to service these larger reels, and also does custom rod wrapping. 

Are you looking to have your reels serviced?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

ohfishalee

placed a pic with the reel and serial #

other than that - I have yet to open it up

Tightlines667

I checked my records and this is not one of those that I have serviced.  Could have been any number of about a dozen or so different guys/gals that have routinely serviced larger reels here.  Why are you trying to track down the person who made the rod, and serviced the reels?  if you don't mind me asking?
Hope springs eternal

Bryan Young

Before 5 Oceans, try Hobitat at in Kaimuki.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

ohfishalee

Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 18, 2015, 04:48:35 AM
I checked my records and this is not one of those that I have serviced.  Could have been any number of about a dozen or so different guys/gals that have routinely serviced larger reels here.  Why are you trying to track down the person who made the rod, and serviced the reels?  if you don't mind me asking?

I am really more interested in spares for this reel - who supplies them is of interest (i don't have an immediate need but i also understand that the rubber pressure disc goes bad so any leads on a replacement before it happens is ideal. i am also toying with a CF disc upgrade if such a service exists.

i note that there are no threads on this reel specifically and have relied heavily on advice from this site for my other reels as I was previously afraid to strip any of my reels and now perform basic service to keep them in tip top shape.

Bryan Young

I think parts will be hard to come by, but not impossible.  I would call Shimano and ask or recommendation on who they sent the parts to and start from here.

The carbon fiber drags, you may need to cut you own based on your current drag washer dimensions.

And your sealing ring, I think Tightlines666 had to cut his own as well, and so you may need to go that route as well.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Quote from: ohfishalee on February 18, 2015, 03:01:32 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on February 18, 2015, 04:48:35 AM

I am really more interested in spares for this reel - who supplies them is of interest (i don't have an immediate need but i also understand that the rubber pressure disc goes bad so any leads on a replacement before it happens is ideal. i am also toying with a CF disc upgrade if such a service exists.

i note that there are no threads on this reel specifically and have relied heavily on advice from this site for my other reels as I was previously afraid to strip any of my reels and now perform basic service to keep them in tip top shape.

I can certainly check with my contacts around town and see if I can come up with any information for you.  But I can tell you my previous research on the tpoic lead me to believe there are really only 2 guys I know of that service these reels regularily.  A guy in CA, and a guy in AU.  Having said that I have serviced several for some of my local customers.  As a matter of fact, I am actually in the middle of servicing 2 Triton 50/80 2-speeds right now.  See my post in these threads (if you havn't done so already)...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=8880.0

I would recommend buying:

-A sheet of Butyl rubber to use a replacement for the silicon disc from McMaster Carr

-Carbon Fiber drag discs (1/reel) from Dawn at smoothdrag, or if she doesn't carry precut washers for your reel, you may need to order a sheet or 2 and cut them yourself.

-Replacement Bearings (2-TT0575 & 3-TT0576) and Bellevilles (6 for Tiagra80WA) from Shimano.

Some of the parts on these reels (such as the cam assembly, plunger/outter 2 speed mech, clicker ratchet, bearings, bellevilles, and 2-speed shift spring, dog springs , and all/most screws) have modern Shimano replacements.  However, many can not be replaced with new (including the pressure plate, metal drag disc, dogs, drive shaft &bushing, clicker pawl, spool, side plates, etc...) so you are wise to look for used 'parts reels'.  Ocassionally, (like a couple of times/year max), I see a used reel or 2 up for sale here in HI.  You can keep an eye out on HI craigslist and if you see something you want, I would be happy to pick it up for you, and ship to you in Bermuda (Provided you could cover my shipping costs). 

It is great to see a Bermudian fisherman on the site!  I was junior angler of the year in the SeaHorse Fishing Club each of the 4 years in the mid eighties I lived there.  I beat out Captain Alan Card's son who as I recall was a close runner up.  Do you know Andrew Card?  He recently mentioned to my dad that these Tritons are highly sought after by Bermudian fisherman.  Also, I would be interested to know if the photo of me with my 64lb Wahoo on 16 is still hanging in the tackle shop in Hamilton?

Hope springs eternal

Robert Janssen

Pardon me if i am mistaken, since memory is not quite as focused as it used to be, but i'd like to recall that the TTS reels do not have the rubber pressure pad; only the TBM series do. The TTS reels used a single tabbed drag washer on the spool, similar to the TLD series. Not entirely easy to keep track of when all series were introduced in the late 1980s. They also used a screw-thread type lever action as opposed to the more common type of cam.

Doc.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 18, 2015, 07:43:55 PM
Pardon me if i am mistaken, since memory is not quite as focused as it used to be, but i'd like to recall that the TTS reels do not have the rubber pressure pad; only the TBM series do. The TTS reels used a single tabbed drag washer on the spool, similar to the TLD series. Not entirely easy to keep track of when all series were introduced in the late 1980s. They also used a screw-thread type lever action as opposed to the more common type of cam.

Doc.

Thanks Doc!

You are absolutely correct, and Mr. Tani himself just confirmed  your statement.  The single speeds have a threaded screw in place of the standard cam mech found in the 2-speeds, no seperare pressure plate and/or silicon disc to worry with, and the canvas drag washer does not have a direct replacement avail.  However, you can order an 82mm od cf drag disc from dawn, and trim the od down to 80mm, and punch (or drill) out the 4 inner holes to fit the lugs.  Bearings can be replaced if needed, and Bellevilles as well.  I actually havn't serviced any of these single speed Tritons, but they should be pretty str8 forward.  I apoligize for any confusion.  Also, you may want to order a few new shims (to fit the spool shaft( from Shimano.  With a carbon fiber drag upgrade, you may want to consider changing the stock Belleville config to a heavier style, such as (((()))) and use shims to make up the extra space.
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

I cannot tell you how glad I am to hear that there is no rubber involved in the reel (correct me if I read it incorrectly). If that is the case = I will be on the hunt for another of these reels if I can swap out the new parts for old as stated. they are built like a WWII bunker and also glad to hear about the drag washer material available at Dawn's!!

Yes it is a sought after reel - Andrew Card looks to have a couple and a few of the successful seasoned veterans have them on the commercial boats unlike the charter boats who have the glitzy Tiagras (I have a few as well ;D )

I have made contact with Reel Connection in San Diego (which reminds me - I have to send him a follow up email) but most importantly - glad to hear no butyl rubber in the reel.

I will check on the picture at the tackle shop which has moved since the eighties but they have definitely kept a lot of their nostalgic pics.

I am actually meeting with the Sea Horse Club President (just recently) about a Junior Tournament which I really hope gets off the ground running so perhaps there are some picture that I might be able to garner.

I know the Card family - went to school with Alan's nephew and went on my first deep sea trip with Andrew when I was 15 - 60+ pound yellowfin and we fish out of the same location!! Small world!!!!

ohfishalee

I might get the nerve to strip this bad boy down now thanks for all of the input thus far and looking forward to more

Can't sing the praises of this site enough!!

alantani

check your drag range first.  someone had monkeyed with the two reels that i tore down.  i was getting 10 pounds of drag at strike before losing free spool.  the bellevilles on the left side were "()" and the bellevilles on the right were "()()()".  i put a flat washer on the left side and put all the bellevilles on the right in a "(((())))" configuration.  it was the only way that i could get the 25 pounds of drag at strike that the owner needed.  unfortunately, there was so much pressure on the side plate bearings that it was loading up.  i just could not get them to work any other way.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Tightlines667

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2015, 02:56:57 AM
check your drag range first.  someone had monkeyed with the two reels that i tore down.  i was getting 10 pounds of drag at strike before losing free spool.  the bellevilles on the left side were "()" and the bellevilles on the right were "()()()".  i put a flat washer on the left side and put all the bellevilles on the right in a "(((())))" configuration.  it was the only way that i could get the 25 pounds of drag at strike that the owner needed.  unfortunately, there was so much pressure on the side plate bearings that it was loading up.  i just could not get them to work any other way.   :-\

BTW, I am typically a fan of the springier/more linear stock belleville config.  As Alan said, if you have a good range and curve, leave the config stock.  I suggested replacing the washers since they can (and often do) corrode, or lose their springiness over time, and they don't cost much to replace.  Another minor suggestion is to just leave the clicker ratchet in place if any of the screws seem a bit tight.  They are soft chromed bronze and can break easily...ask me how I know :(
Hope springs eternal

ohfishalee

Quote from: alantani on February 19, 2015, 02:56:57 AM

I know this is asked often but what is the greatest advantage of having freespool on a reel (used for trolling) at strike versus not having much at all?