Narrow Jigmaster get Hi Drag Numbers

Started by gstours, February 26, 2015, 05:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gstours

Awhile ago I got interested in the Penn Jigmaster as others were hotrodding it like some of the other penns.  I have had these laying around but thought they were toys.   Well winter started another project for me.    Its drag was the thing I wanted to improve.  Others on this forum gave me some ideas.   Here are some pictures of my work....   Enjoy.    and scratch your head!

the max drag seemed to be about 30 pounds,  that was to be expected as there are 11 working surfaces.  the hex gear insert was fun!  more on that soon.   I liked the challenge, as its a very small reel for the numbers.   

I will do more info on the gear, washers, space limitations, and more soon!    Gstours.

alantani

but gary, that looks like a 4/0 senator gear set.  that won't fit in a jigmaster.   and what about damage to the gear teeth?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

gstours

Yes it is a brass gear, but its a factory jigmaster 4 to 1 gear ratio. I have yet to find a stainless 4-1 and dont really want 5-1 unless I have to go 5-1 thats that.  everything else in the reel is sst upgraded. 
    My focus was can you get 4 cf hex washers in the thing and how to.  It is very smooth and starts ay zero drag. 
Like the diawa sealines, no sst bolt-on parts or kits w cf upgrades are available.  So I did it anyway!
  And I cant wait to tell the story of a fish blowing up my reel.  That will be even more fun!

gstours

Hey Sharkee;  remember spyin on my 114h hex project I was doing?  78 pounds of drag, that was out of control!!!!!  thanks again for the interest!

Shark Hunter

Yes it was Gary! ;D
You have some skills Brother! Keep it up! ;)
Life is Good!

gstours

Here is a way to get your free hex gear for your jigmaster.  It starts like this.

I cut a strip of sst sheet into a strip a little oversize and formed around a metric bolt head that was about 60 thousands under the I.D. of the gear.

It was fitted nicely, the inner of the gear was roughed up on the inner sidewalls as it already had 2 grooves that seemed enough for the epoxy to bond the two.

[URL=http://s1344.photobucket.com/user/gst6814/media/024_zps5d16a9b2.jpg.html]

measurements of the gear showed I needed  a drag stack less than .400''

here is the sandwich that I came up with. Using .050 cf and .025 titanium washers.

the cf washers are marked with an acrylic craft paint using the new gear as a stencil.  Each on is hand fitted using a mark on the gear for a key to upside and rotation so the best possible fit is obtained.

I made the sst insert taller then stock to accept another washer as there was room in the sideplate. With a penn plastic washer under the gear about .400 was the max height to use.  a little bit of rubbing inside the sideplate was apparent so a scosh of red dust was made.   Violla!  
Everything finally fit fine......This reel has a sst bridge, double dogs,& gearsleeve.  I have plans to make another similar using a sst gear if I can find a 4:1 gear.  Maybe another penn gear will fit I dunno?    It was a fun project so I thought others might want to see what i,ve been wasting my time on.

George4741

Yup, Gary is totally out of control!  :o  Awesome work, Gary.
viurem lliures o morirem

BMITCH

Gary nice work...I'm a little confused though( more like a lot confused, I'm ALWAYS a little confused-just ask my wife)that looks like a 113H main gear. Am I to believe you put a 113H gear set in a jigmaster side plate? Or is that photo of the 113H main gear for illustration?? I just tried to matchup a 113H gear with the side plate of a jigmaster and there doesn't appear to be enough room on the height or OD of the side cover to accept this.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

gstours

No, No, mr b. mitch;  you mighta got distracted when Alan Tani said it looked like as 113h gear and poked fun at it?  Its a jigmaster gear. it lookes different as its taller with the insert?  i think a jigmaster gear laying flat looks thin and fairly large diameter........I,m glad you questioned it!  look at the before and after insertion of the sst hex pc in my post...   it looks thin then it looks fatter like a 113h gear........maybe its like when we get married.  we are thin, then after some good times we look like a senator????????ha ha?

fIsHsTiiCkS

That is with out a doubt a different gear in the second photo than the jigmaster gear pictured first next to the hex insert.

BMITCH

So Gary, did you epoxy a round brass piece to the top of the gear along with the insert??
luck is the residue of design.

Tiddlerbasher

Great work Gary - I feel another couple of projects coming my way ;)

gstours

Sometimes we got to keep it simple to get it right!  Like when the preacher says(only say I DO!)  Look at this picture of the gear and the stupid strip of metal....... then scroll up to the picture Alan T made reference to.  Its the same gear,   guaranteed.  You dont think I would play a little game with you boys just for fun, do you,all??????   cheers  gst.

gstours

It may be the extra height of the insert that fools the eye.

I read some where that Black Pearl made some 4:1 stainless gears for the jigmaster and thats next.  as I could tig the insert to hold it better for a better mousetrap!   I would appreciate it if anybody knows?  tanks gst.