big boy senator inserts

Started by Three se7ens, March 14, 2015, 02:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

I just wanted to let you all know that the PRO Challenger main gear is the same on 6/0 and 9/0.

Shark Hunter

I tested that 14/0 with the 5 stack. I was impressed. It was just like you said Adam. Ramped up quickly and not as smooth as the eight stack, but a lot smoother than stock.
My suggestion is just as you made mine. 5 Stack for the 14/0 and eight stack for the 12/0.
The 14/0 is all meat and potatoes. A Giant reel to get it done. The 12/0 needs all the help it can get compared to its bigger brother. I lifted the same 30 lb ammo can a lot easier than before. I think it has a lot to do with this nice Rainshadow Rod. It is a Cadillac! It is 5'8" E Glass. Lots of Backbone in this Rod. I backed the drag off and it fell smoothly. Quicker than an eight stack, but I think this combination is just what the doctor ordered. When you start stacking those thin washers in the 14/0 Gear, its going to be more like a 10 or 11 stack. I think is that too much and am afraid it will get jerky. We are good on the gears.

Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

I received my latest order from Scott's today. I ordered two more of the stainless gear sets for the 14/0 for Adam's Inserts. This is a big Chunk of Stainless Steel!
Life is Good!

oncebitten

I am always on the lookout for drag upgrades, can you explain to me, how this is achieved?

How does an aluminum sleeve insert (that will retain heat), increase drag to the amounts that are being stated? Shure you can stack thinner washers together with Carbon discs, to up your drag, but you could do that without the insert. Unless I am missing something, the insert will reduce the overall drag area of each disc, less surface area, less drag!

Three se7ens

In a normal drag stack, only one side of each drag washer produces friction.  The drag washer is free to move between the two opposing metal washers.

The insert allows the carbon fiber washers to be keyed to the gear, and therefore both sides of each carbon fiber washer produce friction. This greatly increases the drag capacity for a given number of carbon fiber washers. Since its capable of making more drag, it takes less pressure to achieve the same drag, resulting in smoother and more consistent drag performance.

Also aluminum conducts heat very well, so it will draw heat out of the drag stack and dissipate it into the gear where it can be released.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 11, 2015, 09:20:40 PM
In a normal drag stack, only one side of each drag washer produces friction.  The drag washer is free to move between the two opposing metal washers.

The insert allows the carbon fiber washers to be keyed to the gear, and therefore both sides of each carbon fiber washer produce friction. This greatly increases the drag capacity for a given number of carbon fiber washers. Since its capable of making more drag, it takes less pressure to achieve the same drag, resulting in smoother and more consistent drag performance.

Also aluminum conducts heat very well, so it will draw heat out of the drag stack and dissipate it into the gear where it can be released.

X2

Well put sir!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

When Tom H. placed his order for two of each insert with eight stacks. I figured I better make sure they fit. I know the 12/0 does. The 14/0 does as well. I suggest you make both kits like this. The thin washers work fine, with one thick one on top. I thought the bigger insert would take more, but it is actually a tighter fit with the thin washers. After 7, I had to put the star on to smash them down to fit the eight.
The 5 stack with all thick washers is an option as well with the 14, but to keep it simple. Eight stacks will work. I hated taking this reel apart again, but it had to be done.

Life is Good!

oncebitten

Quote from: Three se7ens on July 11, 2015, 09:20:40 PM

Thanks for the clarification.  I will look forward to when you are doing 9/0 inserts :-)

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 13, 2015, 05:40:02 AM
When Tom H. placed his order for two of each insert with eight stacks. I figured I better make sure they fit. I know the 12/0 does. The 14/0 does as well. I suggest you make both kits like this. The thin washers work fine, with one thick one on top. I thought the bigger insert would take more, but it is actually a tighter fit with the thin washers. After 7, I had to put the star on to smash them down to fit the eight.
The 5 stack with all thick washers is an option as well with the 14, but to keep it simple. Eight stacks will work. I hated taking this reel apart again, but it had to be done.

How thin are the thin washers?  I could run a small batch (10 or so) of .035" or .045" washers for R&D, but no production ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

ChileRelleno

He has already done one run of the 9/0 inserts.
I've one in my 9/0, need to put one in my 6/0 wide.
Encourage Adam to make more, get your buddies over here asking for them too.
Same goes for plates & frames, having 2-3 dozen people committed to them makes a run more likely.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Three se7ens

Quote from: Keta on July 13, 2015, 02:20:05 PM

How thin are the thin washers?  I could run a small batch (10 or so) of .035" or .045" washers for R&D, but no production ones.

0.060 on these, and 0.031 on the 9/0 and smaller kits.

Inserts for the 6/0 and 9/0 are on order.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

oncebitten

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 13, 2015, 02:20:27 PM
He has already done one run of the 9/0 inserts.
I've one in my 9/0, need to put one in my 6/0 wide.
Encourage Adam to make more, get your buddies over here asking for them too.
Same goes for plates & frames, having 2-3 dozen people committed to them makes a run more likely.

Are the 9/0 and 6/0 inserts the same?  I would love to see another run on those.  Plus Daiwa Sealine 900h, 600h, 450h & 50h, one day :-)

Seriously, I would be happy to put my money up front for a 9/0 set!

mrand

I'm interested in one insert and 2 drag kits for the 14/0
thanks so much!

Also, possibly interested in the same for the 9/0

This is impressive!
-michael

Shark Hunter

mrand,
The list is here.
This is a one time deal. I really appreciate Adam doing this. There will not be anything like this again.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14751.0
and Welcome!
Life is Good!