113 hn baja special

Started by alantani, December 07, 2008, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: maxpowers on December 05, 2014, 06:17:00 PM
Quote from: handi2 on December 05, 2014, 03:00:46 PM
Quote from: maxpowers on November 23, 2014, 07:19:05 PM
i found another problem with the baja.  yesterday i was going to service my baja for the offseason.  i was not able to get the reel into gear no matter what.  i took the reel apart and found that the pinion shaft and the pinion did not slide easily.  the springs and the yoke were stillin good shape.  I cleaned out the pinion as best i could and also cleaned and lubed the shaft.  afterward i was able to get the reel in gear again.  but now i really am leery of using this reel if this happen again.

The yoke is designed to go in one way. It has been machined with a smooth spot on the side that the eccentric jack rides on. Much like the Shimano and other reels. That may be the problem.

Handi2,

This reel was working fine on my previous trip.  After the trip I gave it a quick wash and racked it.  Thinking I will go back out in a few days I did not do a thorough wash down.  Time passed and I was going thru my gears to do a winter cleaning and check-up.  The Baja would not go into gear and I didn't understand why.  After taking it apart and visually inspecting to see I could not find anything wrong.  Only when I got the pinion out and was trying to take the pinion shaft out that I noticed that the shaft was stuck fairly tight on the pinion.  I suspect had the reel been left in gear, I would have never found this out.  Maybe I am the only one to have this happen to but it is somewhat disheartening for a nice feature like the live spindle to potentially have this issue. 

Stainless into stainless will corrode. Not the quick bubbly looking stuff on brass or chrome but tiny little bits that are amazingly strong. Anyone with experience with old Newells can attest to its power to seize up stainless parts.

The spool shaft and pinion are not of the same alloy and have very tight tolerance for performance. Therefore a tiny bit of corrosion will bind the pinion. Clean with soaks of Corrosion-X then simple regular grease is all that is required. Maybe a touch of Fred's trick of a small drill bit with some fine steel wool wrapped around it to polish by hand if necessary.

steelfish

Quote from: johndtuttle on July 23, 2015, 05:32:14 PM
Quote from: steelfish on July 23, 2015, 05:00:56 PM
does the steel rings on the side plates could be take out from the side plates just like the 113h?

I tried to take them out to put some light grease and prevent corrosion but they seem to be glued or something.. didnt tried too hard to dont crush or put nicks on the rings.

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the screws going into the frame are well greased you have solved the biggest worry. As tight as they fit the side plate little salt will get behind them.

After a service I wipe down the outside with a rag to remove excess grease from the screw holes etc and rub this all over the reel. Puts a light coat of grease all over the outside. These rings may be stainless as well...Keta has my reel so I can't check for you.

thanks for your comment, I was actually thinking the same on the steel rings, why botther to open them up if they are really tight close.

so, its your reel what Lee is waiting for ? nice, I sent him my comments on the 1 ratchet attemp he made, so he will make some adjustments, and now with your reel in his hands he will test the parts, I have really high hopes that something good will coming from Lee pretty soon.
The Baja Guy

johndtuttle

Lee has had my reel for a few days now. Waiting to see what he comes up with  ;).

Keta

They appear to be SS. 

I will start a new thread on fixing the AR "problem". 

I like the thing Penn did to this reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Looking forward to your comments Lee. Looks like Penn may be sending me a new US113 not sure whats going to happen yet.

Frank

I have never worked on a Baja Special and I have no idea if the sideplate rings are glued on or greased for protection. I do know over the last forty five years if I had a sideplate ring on a Penn or Newell that wouldn't come off easily I would put it in the freezer over night, ring facing down, and the next morning I would find it had fallen off or it took minimal effort to remove it.
Frank. Retired. Life long fishing and boating fanatic.

steelfish

Quote from: Frank on July 23, 2015, 10:20:48 PM
I have never worked on a Baja Special and I have no idea if the sideplate rings are glued on or greased for protection. I do know over the last forty five years if I had a sideplate ring on a Penn or Newell that wouldn't come off easily I would put it in the freezer over night, ring facing down, and the next morning I would find it had fallen off or it took minimal effort to remove it.

nice trick, but for now I will leave SS rings alone, but since Im really anal on my own reels maintenance, I will put some drops of tsi321 on some zones between the SS rings and the frame, it wont hurt anything and I heard SS and aluminuim dont like to be together, tsi321 is not that expensive so, worst thing is that it wont do anything and I spent $0.75 there.
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Quote from: steelfish on July 23, 2015, 11:30:20 PM

nice trick, but for now I will leave SS rings alone, but since Im really anal on my own reels maintenance, I will put some drops of tsi321 on some zones between the SS rings and the frame, it wont hurt anything and I heard SS and aluminuim dont like to be together, tsi321 is not that expensive so, worst thing is that it wont do anything and I spent $0.75 there.

As the ratio of stainless to aluminum goes up, the galvanic corrosion  potential increases.  So a reel with stainless rings and foot attached to a aluminum frame (especially cast aluminum) is at much more risk of galvanic corrosion than an all aluminum setup with just some stainless screws.   The reel is acting like a battery when exposed to salt water.   The more stainless to aluminum, the better the battery.

The recommended  fix is to  create a barrier between the dissimilar metals.  This is usually done with grease or specialized compounds.  TSI claims that 301 reduces galvanic corrosion, so 321 might be worth a shot as a short term technique.

Nice trick on the freezer!

-J

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on July 24, 2015, 06:47:45 PM

As the ratio of stainless to aluminum goes up, the galvanic corrosion  potential increases.  So a reel with stainless rings and foot attached to a aluminum frame (especially cast aluminum) is at much more risk of galvanic corrosion than an all aluminum setup with just some stainless screws.   The reel is acting like a battery when exposed to salt water.   The more stainless to aluminum, the better the battery.

The recommended  fix is to  create a barrier between the dissimilar metals.  This is usually done with grease or specialized compounds.  TSI claims that 301 reduces galvanic corrosion, so 321 might be worth a shot as a short term technique.
-J

you know, I was wrong in a part of my last post, the Baja SS rings never touch the aluminuim frame, they are on the outside face of the side plates which are not aluminium.
but on the reel foot being SS and the frame aluminuim we still have that galvanic corrosion risk.
talking about a possible barrier to keep the alum and SS separated, I have seen in some reels a plastic sheet between the SS reel foot and the alum frame.

have any one tried a customized plastic sheet there like the ones on the penn int 50T and few others

like this as example

we dont want to be like this

mine has a lot of yamaha grease under the reel foot right now but maybe a milk crate can donate a section for the barrier

The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Quote from: steelfish on July 24, 2015, 08:04:57 PM
Quote from: jurelometer on July 24, 2015, 06:47:45 PM

As the ratio of stainless to aluminum goes up, the galvanic corrosion  potential increases.  So a reel with stainless rings and foot attached to a aluminum frame (especially cast aluminum) is at much more risk of galvanic corrosion than an all aluminum setup with just some stainless screws.   The reel is acting like a battery when exposed to salt water.   The more stainless to aluminum, the better the battery.

The recommended  fix is to  create a barrier between the dissimilar metals.  This is usually done with grease or specialized compounds.  TSI claims that 301 reduces galvanic corrosion, so 321 might be worth a shot as a short term technique.
-J

you know, I was wrong in a part of my last post, the Baja SS rings never touch the aluminuim frame, they are on the outside face of the side plates which are not aluminium.
but on the reel foot being SS and the frame aluminuim we still have that galvanic corrosion risk.
talking about a possible barrier to keep the alum and SS separated, I have seen in some reels a plastic sheet between the SS reel foot and the alum frame.

have any one tried a customized plastic sheet there like the ones on the penn int 50T and few others

[...]

mine has a lot of yamaha grease under the reel foot right now but maybe a milk crate can donate a section for the barrier

Uggh- not pretty

I would consider hdpe tape.  the barrier can be thin.    A little thicker tape or sheet will allow re-use.  You can get it at hardware stores- through Amazon- or eve McMaster Carr if you like spending extra :)   Milk-jug plastic (LDPE) would probably work as well - but you can go thinner with HDPE and not worry about it compressing or flowing/creeping as much- if the LDPE plastic is thick enough it could flow slightly over time and let the screws loosen a little.

nelz

Does the main gear drop around the main gear bearing (key #5a)?  That is, does the bearing fit into the main gear hole or does the main gear sit on top of the bearing?

Keta

It fits inside the gear.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

Quote from: nelz on July 25, 2015, 03:47:07 AM
Does the main gear drop around the main gear bearing (key #5a)?  That is, does the bearing fit into the main gear hole or does the main gear sit on top of the bearing?

Like Keta said, it's inside the first CF washer.

There are two CF washers on the Baja, one has a big center hole on which the bearing fits inside, and then the rest of the CF washers have a smaller ID hole almost the same size of the OD of drive shaft
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: jurelometer on July 25, 2015, 01:02:51 AM
I would consider hdpe tape.  the barrier can be thin.    A little thicker tape or sheet will allow re-use.  You can get it at hardware stores- through Amazon- or eve McMaster Carr if you like spending extra :)   Milk-jug plastic (LDPE) would probably work as well - but you can go thinner with HDPE and not worry about it compressing or flowing/creeping as much- if the LDPE plastic is thick enough it could flow slightly over time and let the screws loosen a little.

What do you think about this silicone tape for anti-galvanic corrosion barrier?
http://www.xtremetape.com

I have many of them it will let the reel foot be tighten really good on the frame since the tape will just expand as you tighten the screws
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Quote from: steelfish on July 25, 2015, 06:48:50 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on July 25, 2015, 01:02:51 AM

What do you think about this silicone tape for anti-galvanic corrosion barrier?
http://www.xtremetape.com

I have many of them it will let the reel foot be tighten really good on the frame since the tape will just expand as you tighten the screws

I think I would go with something thinner and less elastic.  Might be hard to maintain a specific torque setting over time with silicone tape.