Big Boy Senator 10/0 - 12/0 Aluminum Side Plate Set. Anyone????

Started by Black Pearl, June 03, 2015, 11:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Before I start taking on this task, I would like to know how many would be interested in a set of side plate for the Senator 10/0.

It will be made in T-6061 aluminum. Each set can be anodized in red, blue, black or silver color. We will see if we can get rid off the brass ring.

It is $185.00 a set. I could not get them for $120.00 even in cost.

Please let me know.

Thanks,
--Alan

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

RowdyW

Bring it on, & while you are at it the 9/0 would be even more popular (in silver or maybe even ocean blue & green for Sal). ;D

Alto Mare

I like that price Alan, put me down for a couple.
Yes, as Rudy mentioned I take mine in green ;) ;D
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tightlines667

These would be cool.  I am starting to come around to Sal's way of thinking, and am partial to Green, though silver or black would be cool too.

A solid SS base, maybe of a similar design to those Cal offers for the origional Internationals, and 3 'Newel style' SS crossbars, to replace the posts would really strengthen these reels up and prevent frame twist under high load.  Just a thought, as long as we're on the subject :)
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Three se7ens

What kind of minimum order would you be looking at to make it happen?

Superhook

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

fIsHsTiiCkS

I'm in for a set if you make them, how about a frame for them as well then!

crackerman

Sign me up for a frame and plates in black.

I might have a lower income, but will find that money if I need to!

Shark Hunter

Lets just see what we have here. SS Sleeves from my Man Tom. He posted a progress pic and they look Awesome! Inserts from Adam. Aluminum side plates from Chui. Wow! This is gonna cost me some money!
John, I have seen a 600 lb Hammer caught from shore on a stock 12/0, and I don't see the flex you are talking about. I am sure it is, but when the fight was over, that reel looked flawless. I caught my scalloped hammer on that same reel just a few weeks ago and it hadn't even been serviced! Probably a 175 lb fish. I locked it down and got it over. I know now why John was yelling so loudly as he fought his.
It was three times and then some heavier than mine. I know the reel could use a stand upgrade, but I think the problem lies in people tightening down the reel to the rod and distorting the stand.
I think the bars are a great idea. I want a frame as badly as everyone else, but this is going to be a challenge, since there is no prototype for reference.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I think most of the stand twist I've seen, particuarily on the 14/0s is from a few combined factors...
1)Pre-existing metal fatigue, from old, worn reels
2)Fishing the reel beyond what it was designed for (i.e. 300-400lb mono w/drag locked down tight and a powerful fish on the other end)
3)Fishing the reel without the rod braces

I have seen way too many badly twisted and fatigued stands for this to be caused by simply dropping the reel, or tightening it down on the rod too hard.  Though, I'm not saying you can't bend, bow, or fatigue the stand this way as well.

The same problem exists on the origional International I reels, and seems to occur more frequently on those models that have upgraded drags, capabable of putting out much higher numbers then the reel was origionally designed for.  The tabs, or metal above the stand holes often break as well. 

In both cases the stands are twisted, resulting in a slight overall twist and misalignment to the entire reel.  The twisting seems indicative to me of twisting forces being applied to the reel.  Such as when the line is at one far end of the wide spool, under heavy load, the rod is fixed in place, and there are heavy loads being applied to the handle (often times on the power downstroke, in the opposite side but at 90 deg to the force applied to the spools. 

I think cal recognized this, when he designed and manufactured strong, aftermarket stands for these reels, which I believe he often recommended when 'blueprinting' a reel to produce more drag then stock.  These stands by the way are the exact same width a dimensions, needed to fit the BigBoy Senators, but the hole locations are incorrect.  Seems to me they would make an excellent prototype for, if they were to be machined out of aluminum.  Alternatively, stronger stands could be pressed out of stainless, using the stock as prototypes, or the heavier/cast stands found on the International I 130s could be used as a prototype. 

I think the fact that people fish both the big boy senators, and the International Is hard, and despite occasional stand twist or other problems..they continue to work, is a testimate to a well designed, overbuilt reel. 

I don't think the stands, or the posts are going to present any noticable problems (especially short-term, and under most normal use conditions), even with the upgrades available.  And I sm sure there will be no catastrophic failures....
But they would make a more cost effective alternative to a full, or half frame as a next possible, worthy upgrade. 

The frames would be cool though. 

All this stuff starts to cost alot to produce for these larger reels (especially in small batches).

The drag insert, SS sleeve, and handle upgrades will really offer the greatest (and most cost-effective) upgrades for these reels.  It is really cool to see ideas come to life, and become reality.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Shark Hunter

If you fish without the braces, yes, I can see it twist. They are there for a reason. I have yet to catch a shark on my 14/0's. I'm just saying, the power put on that 12/0 didn't twist and I was in awe. There was so much pressure on that rod that it was humming. I mean that if you laid your hand on it, it felt like a vibrating cell phone. I felt that same vibration on the shark I caught. Once you tweak a stock stand, it will be more malleable and bend again. I just know the big Senators I fish, don't have tweaked stands and the weakest link is me. ;)
Life is Good!

fIsHsTiiCkS

I suggest frame as I know of the frame twist that happen and most are due to locking the drag beyond tight and maxing the reel out. With the upgraded drag options now it will be even easy to do.

With the running cost of a 10/0 or 12/0 in excellent shape is pretty high as is now. However, adding up the math of buying these side plates, possible frame, drag inserts, handle, gear sleeve and spare stock Penn parts to complete the reel, it will turn out pretty close to buying a build stock one. You will end up with a far stronger and cutom reel in the end however.

ez2cdave

FRAME and PLATES ! ! !

Also, let me throw THIS into the discussion . . .

Remember back when ACCURATE made "MAGNUM" versions of PENN sideplates and spools ? An example was a "magnum" SQUIDDER that used the Drive Mechanism from either a 3/0 or a 4/0 . . . LOTS more POWER and DRAG ! ! !

WELL, how about 12/0 sideplates and a spool that will accommodate a 14/0 Drive Mechanism ???