Penn Jigmaster Frame Kits....

Started by Cortez_Conversions, June 04, 2015, 04:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I might have one of those handle bf. The stock star is fine. I really like a lot of bling, but the stars isn't one of them.
Life is Good!

RUSTY OLD COLT

Hoping my kit makes it to Long Island by the weekend , I just cant wait to start building it and testing it out on some of LI stripe bass

Cortez_Conversions

Everything was mailed out on Tuesday, so I would think today or tomorrow on the deliverys!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

bluefish69

I'll going to put a New 24-66 handle & a new Star on my reel. I want to keep it looking like the Squidder. I have all the SS goodies for the insides. After all this the reel will live in a closet.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

bsfchen

Man I don't know what's wrong. Everything seems to work. But when I put the spool in I just can't turn it with the handle. First time I've ever encountered something like this. Freespool lever is working. Pinion and main smooth. But when I tried two spools already and I can't tell what's wrong . if someone can help that'd be awesome

foakes

If you are sure about your spools being OK --

Sounds like a bearing issue -- namely just too tight when putting the reel together.

Back off the bearings -- reassemble it wiith the bearings backed off -- then adjust them in to where the spool is right.

You have probably aleady done this -- but if not...

Side note -- make sure all of the screws are greased -- and not overly tightened -- just snug.

Let us know how you fare.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

bsfchen

Awesome. Played around with the bearing caps for a while everything is now good to go. Gonna try fish this tonight hope to get lucky. Thanks Fred and thanks for the kit tom. Thing is a beauty

foakes

Great!

Show us some pics of your catch -- new reel is always lucky.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

cwillis85

The binding in free spool sounds like what I ran into as well. For me the solution was to back the handle side bearing cap out a turn or two and make up the difference with the non handle side. Spool is slightly off center but not enough to cause the reel to be able to eat line, not even braid. I am using a non aluminum and non chrome spool, I believe I read that it was a light weight stainless spool that I took off a 500s, ordered a new aluminum spool that i will try once it arrives and report back my findings.
Chris

Alto Mare

Keep an eye on that handle side bushing, it will back itself out if its not tight.
If you have bushings laying around try different ones, that usually does it.

...never mind, you meant bearing caps, I thought you were saying bushings, those are more adjustable.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

foakes

That is a new one on me, Sal...

Did not know the bearings would back out -- if lubed and installed correctly wiith greased O rings.

I have had bushings back out, for sure -- but have not experienced the cupped bearings backing out.

Unless somhow there is a rust issue -- which is doubtful -- gven the experience of the folks lucky enough to get one of these.

I will watch out for this.

Best,

Fred

Sorry, Sal -- did not see your modified post above since we were both typing at the same time.

--------

Fred O.

Alto Mare

Not sure if it happens all the time, but it sure happened to me while casting from the sand. Bearing cups will also back out, I had one back out last year on my 970. Again, this was while casting from the beach. If adjustment is necessary, the best solution, when possible,  is to use shims and keep the bushing snug.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

cwillis85

I checked my bearing after reading Sal's post, I purposely tightened my bearing cup so the slot was horizonal, the bearing cup did indeed back out very slightly, maybe a few degrees at most. My bearing cup threads and o ring were greased on original assembly. That Snook I caught put up a fun fight but I am sure these reels will be pushed much harder than that little snook. I dont see this bearing cup coming loose enough to cause issues as long as you keep an eye on it and tighten when needed. I am going to send my reel back to Tom after my trip I have planned for mid July as per his request. I am sure he will give us direction on how to correct this after he gets a look at it.
Chris

Sledge

Got my kit in the mail.  Thoughtful packaging, exceptionally well insulated.  Sure is pretty to look at, can't wait to get it together and fish it...but no factory stick will do, so looks like a custom rod soon!  A couple of points to mention, personal observations; 1) the material thickness on the outside edges of many of the fastener holes is quite thin...a hard drop is likely to cause problems, 2) knurled bearing caps to replace the slotted caps is my preference, and will be a future upgrade.

Anybody want to trade a black reel foot and clamp for a silver one?

RUSTY OLD COLT

Put my kit together and it looks great ,  ( deciding on handles and arms now ) but I have a weird notch feeling when cranking (almosy like a bad tooth on a gear ) I tried another set of gears from a known smooth turning reel and its still there . Any ideas ?