Penn Jigmaster Frame Kits....

Started by Cortez_Conversions, June 04, 2015, 04:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwillis85

Rusty, try loosening that handle side bearing a turn or two to see if the grinding goes away.

Chris
Chris

foakes

On a typical stock Jigmaster -- the handle side bushing is fastened down tightly -- then one adjusts the sping loaded tail plate side bushing with your fingers -- until you get the right amount of freespool and play desired.

I generally tighten the left side until the spool will not turn freely -- then just back it off 1/2 turn, or so, until you are satisfied with the operation.

On these custom sideplates -- just like on the old Accurate plates -- there are actual bearings with coin adjuster slots.  Similar to Newell and high speed jigmasters.  There is a "sweet spot" where everyhing works perfectly -- and will require adjusting both bearings to that position.  What you are doing, is slightly moving the spool a few mils to the left -- by using both adjusters.  This allows a little more play between the pinion, spool shoulder, spool shaft, etc..

The tolerances on these sets is so exact -- it requires some fine tuning, since there is little margin for slop.

So as to not booger up the slots -- try using an old copper penny, slightly ground square on one edge.  Since the penny is softer than the screw -- no damage.  Keep a couple of pennies ground down in your tackle box.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RUSTY OLD COLT

started adjusing the bearing cups tonight  , brought the right in flush with the housing and the left I backed out a little, I still get a very slight bind at the same spot of the handle  ( feels more like a bad tooth in the gear  ), but its getting better . maybe I am being too critical it just seemed my 2 squidder conversions felt smoother but they dont have all the stainless steel arms and large handles on them

Alto Mare

Doesn't need to be flush, screw it in as much as needed. Tilt the reel on its side, place it on freespool and give the spool a spin, repeat on the opposite side. The side that gives you the rubbing sound needs to get screwed in a little more until gone.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RUSTY OLD COLT

In freespool it was fine its only when I crank the handle in gear ,but I have plenty of time this week to play with it and I will let you guys know

Alto Mare

Oh, I thought it was  bearing adjustment issue. Well at least you can put that aside and move on to the clutch assembly. I'm sure you'll get to the bottom of it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

twotone

Alright I was lucky enough to get this JM frame kit from Tom H, everything seem good but the drag stack height is giving me trouble. What is everyone using for parts after BP 5:1 custom gear set custom package C (1 mm taller)  , Bryan's 5+1 drag kit and AT gen 2 gear sleeve with under gear ss washer and cf washer under the main gear ? I get one full revolution on the star.The star is 1/8 thick. I'm thinking I should have more revolutions.  I'm using the stock spacer and a spring washer under the spacer. Also a spring washer between the star and the handle arm. I have tried different combination after Bryan's 5+1 drag stack with no luck. Their is movement in the sleeve and the spacer in the side plate all from lifting the handle arm. To solve the spacer slop. Do you drill the side plate for the BP spacer to fit the BP one? Please advise. This JM kit is awesome . noby here
twotone

fIsHsTiiCkS

I would take out the spring was here under the star and also if using BP 5:1 gears the spacer is a must! It also comes in various heights to fix spacing issues that you are having. If it were me and the spacer didn't fit toms kit, I'm assuming that's what you're saying, I would sand the OD of the spacer slightly while continually checking to see if it fits. Better to modify the spacer than the plates. I have done this with great results on accurate plates. Sal gave me the idea for that.

fIsHsTiiCkS

Quote from: RUSTY OLD COLT on June 29, 2015, 12:58:31 AM
In freespool it was fine its only when I crank the handle in gear ,but I have plenty of time this week to play with it and I will let you guys know

I still think that is a bearing issue. I came across this with Lee Pro Plates. When taken out of free spool it would bind. I had to adjust the bearings while in gear and then the binding went away.

twotone

Thx FishStiicks. I'll remove the black spring washer from the star and sand to fit the BP spacer. I do have several BP spacer with various heights to try. The JM kit has no problems with free-spool (very smooth) and no problems with BP gears or any other part. I'm away this week for work, brought the reel and tools, but forgot to bring the BP spacers. So I'll post results this weekend. Thx for helping.      Awesome JM kit Tom
twotone

thorhammer

Mine went together with no issues, smooth as butta even with 40 YO 500S guts. I'm sure it will only get better as I sub out a few goodies. As above, you will have to tune both side bearings to dial it in. Counterintuitively, you may actually have to keep tightening the bearing cap until the spindle is fully engaged in the bearing; mine smoothed right on out when it got to that point.

looks phenomenal, I was going to put in anniversery spool I had but it's just not that up to snuff so I went stock aluminum while I cypher on that one a lil bit...

John

Cortez_Conversions

Hey everybody,
I'm back from vacation. Whats the status on all the builds? If anyone is still having issues, please let me know!
You can PM me, or post it here.
Thanks and I'm glad everyone is happy with the kits!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

Sledge

Still sourcing parts.  Has to be just right...and as much stainless as is available.  It will probably be awhile yet.

thorhammer

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on July 01, 2015, 12:44:59 AM
Hey everybody,
I'm back from vacation. Whats the status on all the builds? If anyone is still having issues, please let me know!
You can PM me, or post it here.
Thanks and I'm glad everyone is happy with the kits!

Fit and finish are suberb, Tom!!!!!! I had to put it together with what I had, just couldn't wait, but it will get all the goodies as Sledge indicates below. Thanks again for your work to bring this piece of engineering available to the group! We'll be wanting some 4/0's next :)

bluefish69

Tom

I won't get to the build till sometime in August. Busy driving the Wife around before Knee Replacement next Tuesday. Then Rehab. at home. Oh the fun of getting older.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.