Suggestions on best sources for bulk sinkers.

Started by the rockfish ninja, September 03, 2015, 05:39:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I do a bit of rock fishing and lose rigs to the reefs, and have been searching for good source for 3oz bank sinkers. I've had trouble with Ebay & paypal in the past so I'm avoiding them at this point, but the only other sources I've found are the biggies like Dick's & Cabela's that aren't that cheap and the discount lead sites like cheap sinkers.com grateful lead & leadbandit that seem a little sketchy to me.

Any experience with those discount sites? Any other source suggestions?

THX
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

Paddler

Buy the mold.  I poured 100 4oz jigs this year in a couple of hours.  They cost ~$0.30 each, as opposed to $4 retail.  We lost maybe 20 this year, or $6 worth instead of $80.

RowdyW

I get my lead from tire dealers. When they balance new tires they usually use new wheel weights. The last 5 gallon pail of old wheel weights I bought cost me $30. A 5 gallon bucket is so heavy you have to dump half of it out just to swing it up onto the tailgate. I cast bullets & sinkers with the lead. It makes for a lot of cheap shooting & fishing.   RUDY

Todd Jacobsen

I pour all my own sinkers to. But I have ordered from Bandit before which is on the 1st reply you received. I would go there again if I ever stopped making my own.

the rockfish ninja

Thanks for the tips guys but I don't think I'm going to go the mold route, I live in an apartment and don't want to mess with lead in my kitchen. On top of that some of the cheap sources I found have some crazy low prices, someone mentioned .30 each, I saw a few at .21 each. I just thought the website looked lame and don't want to order from a shady outfit.

Mel B, I already googled it, that's how I found those cheap outfits, they just look less than pro to me, that's why I asked if anybody has dealt with them. Thanks though.

I'll keep an eye on this thread if anybody has bought from them or has a cheap and legit outfit to suggest, please do.

Thanks guys!!!

bluefish69

dmbjr@optonline.net
I get my Sinkers shipped to my door. This works out to 25# = $48

2 - 24oz made to order

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Nuvole

Not good leaving too many lead on the reef mate, you better off making some small sandbag .

bluefish69

I used to lose 25# + of sinkers a season off of the N.J. coast every season. Not bragging just a fact, the rocks eat Lead.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Nuvole

Go get some cotton finger bandage from the pharmacy that come in long tube, cut them into the length you want and tie both end with cotton thread after filling them with sand. Use a thinner line to connect the sandbag to your rig. When the weight get snag,you'll have better chance to recover the rig. Alternatively if you have a sewing machine at home, give your wifely some little project to do ;-)

Steve-O

Hot lead indoors is not the best of ideas.

The little sandbag trick is a great idea.

Another idea that is cheaper than anything mentioned.

ROCKS, yep, not quartz, though ...too hard as is granite. Only takes a Mohs scale to find the softer ones.

Soapstone is one of the very best.

But free out of the yard, garden where ever you have rocks.

Get a good feel for ounces....3's, 4's, 5's  or the sizes you use in lead the most and collect a bucket full for Free!

Then get a masonry drill bit in the 1/8" diameter or thereabouts and drill a hole half as deep as the size swivel you use for your fish species targeted.

Mix up some JB Weld and toothpick a dab into said hole and shove your swivel to one half of the barrel.

Voila! A nearly free, environmentally friendly, fish stealthy sinker.

I make and use them all the time.

You can even skip the drilling part and find a nook, cranny, dimple or groove in each rock and JB Weld or epoxy the swivel in that spot. I do that too on smooth quartz rocks that don't drill easily.

I mostly use them as sliding sinkers for carp rigs.

Just McGuyver them together.

Even works with big ocean rigs for rockfish and lings under your dropper loops.

A sock filled with gravel for big baits.

the rockfish ninja

Guys I feel you on the environmentally friendly, I even pick up plastic bottles that folks leave behind at fishing spots whether I catch or get skunked, it's a fish karma thing. But I'll use sandbags in a pinch, and rely on lead to get it down into the kelp where the fish are. Rocks & sandbags just sit on top of the seaweed and don't get down thru. Maybe if I research what are the most dense & heavy rock types and search for those but that may be harder than finding a cheap lead source. :-\

Paddler

We used to use old sparkplugs when surf fishing off the rocks at Point Vicente on the PV peninsula.  Free, about the right size.

xaf

You might want to check out "The Grateful Lead" (on your web search).  I know quite a few guys who have bought lead from them.  The were satisfied with the price and the shipping costs.

conchydong

I pour my own or use rebar because I deep drop a lot but Grateful lead and petessinkhers are very good choices.

the rockfish ninja

Cool, grateful lead was one I looked at and if they're legit I might go with them, they've got some good prices.