CorrosionX Grease

Started by Bryan Young, January 10, 2011, 12:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

i'm sure these products might work, but do you really want to find out the hard way that they don't?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

I don't disagee with you boss, but isn't that how we got to where we are today :-\?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

To be honest, my interest was less a drag washer grease than a general purpose one and just stumbled across it. I've been testing Penn's new Spinfisher (the live liner that hasn't been released yet) and have kinda been sucked into dunking spinning reels and seeing how they do later on :).

So have my eye peeled for greases specifically formulated for corrosion resistance and very low "washout"... Seems like this type of grease would be ideal...and hoping it is not quite as thick as Cal's as it is a bearing grease from the get go.

Got some on the way...I'll post pics when it arrives.

RowdyW

Hi Alan, I guess the only way to find out if something works is to try it. Reading it might work does not mean it will, & trying it is the only way to prove if it will. I don't think that Cal's has their drag grease made exclusively for them only. I feel that the worst thing that could happen with testing this is it doesn't work & I can't can't clean the grease out of the washers & reuse them. The only other thing I lose is a little time & assembly & disassembly of the reel. But isn't this what it is all about?  Rudy

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 08, 2012, 10:42:24 AM
I don't disagee with you boss, but isn't that how we got to where we are today :-\?

so true!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: johndtuttle on December 08, 2012, 05:33:39 PM
To be honest, my interest was less a drag washer grease than a general purpose one and just stumbled across it. I've been testing Penn's new Spinfisher (the live liner that hasn't been released yet) and have kinda been sucked into dunking spinning reels and seeing how they do later on :).

So have my eye peeled for greases specifically formulated for corrosion resistance and very low "washout"... Seems like this type of grease would be ideal...and hoping it is not quite as thick as Cal's as it is a bearing grease from the get go.

John, are you testing for Penn?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 08, 2012, 09:40:16 PM

John, are you testing for Penn?

Just one of the Spinfisher LiveLiners....nothing fancy schmancy. :)

I popped it open to take a look at the gear box. I tried not to look at the Live Liner mechanism too hard as I was afraid a part would fall out and I wouldn't have a clue as to what to do with it lol.

It's a 6500 size so I haven't seen the mechanical dog back up yet. It's on the 7500 and larger I believe.

best

Alto Mare

Just one of the Spinfisher LiveLiners....nothing fancy schmancy. :)
I popped it open to take a look at the gear box. I tried not to look at the Live Liner mechanism too hard as I was afraid a part would fall out and I wouldn't have a clue as to what to do with it lol.
It's a 6500 size so I haven't seen the mechanical dog back up yet. It's on the 7500 and larger I believe.

best

I hear that....good call! ;)

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2012, 10:24:55 AM
i'm sure these products might work, but do you really want to find out the hard way that they don't?   :-\

me, no way. my brother-in-law once told me if you will buy the current generation model car wait till the 3rd yr because by that time the manufacturer have taken care of all the "bugs".;)

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on December 08, 2012, 10:24:55 AM

Well, hopefully we won't find out the hard way they don't, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  :D

What I was really hoping to accomplish is to find something that was Marine Grade, but would be much lighter than other bearing greases as the heavier ones can make a spinning reel noticeably more sluggish when applied to gears. This is more noticeable the smaller the reel.

My Daiwa Sweepfire hates Marine Bearing Grease  ;D.

So it arrived and I took a few preliminary photos:

Preliminary impression is that it is of a far lighter consistency than Cal's or Marine Bearing greases, but initial impression is that it is heavier than Shimano Reel Grease (not the same as Shimano Drag Grease) so I will give it a go in a reel and see if I can notice the difference.

It is extremely low "washout" meaning water will not soak in to it or wash it away (I think that is the meaning of the term anyways) but just how durable and how it would affect the free spinning of bearings etc remains to be seen. Time required. :D

best regards.

Alto Mare

John, have you tried this?

This is Valvoline Multi-Purpose Grease (RED) and Power Steering Fluid, a 50/50 mixture...no cleaning addetives.
It has been around for a long time, this is the only grease that my spinners get.
I like it so much that I went back using it on my conventionals as well. You can adjust the ratio, I like it a little thicker on my conventionals....love this stuff!
Sal

johndtuttle

Very cool.

Yea, I noted in another post of yours that you were using that. I thought about maybe mixing some corrosion-x to some Marine Grease to thin it and see if I could make a mixture. But I had no idea if it would mix well or separate over time.

Are there any marine additives in that general purpose grease? My understand is that in testing the marine additives really do make a difference in preventing corrosion as compared to standard automotive greases.

Of course, I have not the slightest idea what marine additives have been added to this stuff and only operate under the assumption that Dupont has got some special magic or ju-ju added to make it a true Marine product.

I couldn't be happier if someone who knows more than me in this area (not hard :D) could set me straight if I am wrong on any of this.

best

Alto Mare

John, I'm not a pro on this stuff, I usually listen to the product itself.  ;).
The gentleman that came up with this mixture has been using it for many many years, he definitely know a lot more than I would ever learn, this is why I gave it a try. He's also one of the best machinist that I've ever seen.
I've been using it for over a year now and my reels feel very smooth. When I open them up for service, the grease  always looks in the same condition as the day I put it in.
I don't know how true it is, but the same gentleman mentioned that  gaskets in reels have a reaction to some grease  with cleaning agents :-\
The only ingredients I see on the container is Petroleum Distillate, but I also see it on hundreds of other products ;D
As I mentioned above, I really like it and will keep on using it. I'm not selling anything, I just wanted to mention it for what it's worth.
Later.
Sal

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

john, bought the same dupont waterproof grease a few months ago but stopped using it. i've been usiing this grease and one that i bought locally and it seems that these 2 can't handle the temperatures here so i decided just to use  cal's for all my reels.  also will do an experiment by exposing  these 3  brands of grease i have directly under the sun on a metal surface and see which one holds better. hopefully it's cal's... :)

johndtuttle

Quote from: Mel B on December 11, 2012, 11:26:30 AM
john, bought the same dupont waterproof grease a few months ago but stopped using it. i've been usiing this grease and one that i bought locally and it seems that these 2 can't handle the temperatures here so i decided just to use  cal's for all my reels.  also will do an experiment by exposing  these 3  brands of grease i have directly under the sun on a metal surface and see which one holds better. hopefully it's cal's... :)

interesting Mel. Dupont's spec sheet says it is stable to 700 degrees Fahrenheit. Anyways, my concern is less drags than it is general marine protection in a low viscosity grease. Cal's on gears and in bearings makes them sluggish.

Still, looking forward to your report.