CorrosionX Grease

Started by Bryan Young, January 10, 2011, 12:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hi john! actually i haven't repacked my non-spool bearings with these marine grease. i only apply it for corrosion protection since i am only, for the mean time, freshwater fishing. i decided to use cal's grease for this purpose so as not to contaminate the CF washers. also  i only use Singer oil mixed with a liitle bit of Shimano bearing oil for the spool bearings until i get hold of these synthetic oils that many anglers are using. anyways will post results of experiment, hopefully soon because i am waiting for a >40 celsius day here. till then...

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ok here goes the result, from exposing directly to sun, 3 different brands of grease; temp around 33 degrees celsius.

L to R local brand, dupont and cal's

before;

after;

this was after exposing the greases to direct sunlight for about 2 hrs because it started to rain. all 3 held up very well but i think it's not really a scientific test. the only noticeable difference is the dupont changed color, it became darker. hopefully you can see that in these 2 photos.

exp2000

Quote from: Bryan Young on October 31, 2012, 06:34:34 AM

ReelX soft grease is the same as CorrosionX HD except in a bottle instead of a can.  

ReelX medium grease is CorrosionX Grease plus CorrosionX HD for a little thicker consistency than CorrosionX  HD but thinner than CorrosionX Grease.

Quote from: Killerbug on October 31, 2012, 09:36:55 PM
Eat my hat, that the medium grease is exactly the same Bryan bought.  The trick is, make some sexy labels on a nice container(add something with fishing reel) and sell it for 20$ the ounce, preferable without a data sheet( so no one knows the real source)

Quote from: Wolli on November 04, 2012, 02:09:25 AM
For clarification:
CorrosionX Grease and ReelX Grease Medium are definitely the same stuff!
To industrial companies they sell it as "CorrosionX Grease" in 400g tubes, and to the anglers as "ReelX Grease Medium" in small 30g boxes.

Same applies to CorosionX HD (Heavy Duty) and ReelX Grease Soft.

Wolli

Re: Corrosion X Medium Grease: Is it the same as Corrosion X Grease or is it thinned somewhat with Corrosion X HD?

I am thinking of buying the industrial grease pack and rolling my own. Could I use regular Corrosion X to do this or do I need the HD stuff?

Since the HD is the soft grease anyway, where could I buy it at a reasonable price shipped to Australia? Don't want to buy a gallon container @ nearly $300!
~

JGB

Mel,
Some one who is willing to do the real life test. This is great.

From the MDS this is petroleum based and will dry or separate over time and probably absorb some water (unless it has a calcium base).
This only means that when using the product it will need to cleaned and re greased regularly.

Here are some simple test to try:

The sun and outdoor weather test.  Apply a thin films of equal thickness (like a couple of paper thicknesses). Place outdoors in direct sunlight and check every few days for at least 2 months to see which lubes wash off in the rain, discolor and dry out. The lube that stays as close to original wins here. Remember we expect our lubes to remain serviceable for at least 6 months to 5 years.

Saltwater immersion test: place dabs on the inside of a jar going from ultra thin the 1/8" thick. Fill jar with salt water: check daily for color changes and cloudiness that would indicate water absorption. Least cloudy and less change wins here. Enhance this test by heating to 110 -120 degrees (on top of the water heater might do) and see if the results change. If the lube absorbs any water it will eventually form a salt crystal paste in the reel (we have all seen this paste). Grease that is susceptible to salt crystals should only be applied as a thin layer to reduce salt crystal collection.

Corrosion prevention: apply very thin layers on iron finish nails and rub it in good (do 3 or 4 each for each lube and bundle them together by lube type. Submerse in individual jars with salt water and observe every hour for 4 hours and then daily after that. Note when rust stains appear and if the lube is lifted by rust. The rust may start very quickly or suddenly after a few days.
NO rust or stains rates a 100 out of 100 after 10 days
Rust in water or on jar but not collecting on the nails rates a 90
Rust stains without rust build up rates a 60
Rust build up with lube lifting rates a 10

TSI/Corrosionx blend gets a 90 rating in my earlier test - seems that iron still dissolves into the sea water and then oxidizes.

for those that have rust build up wipe the nails off and clean and inspect the nail surfaces for pits. If pitted I do not recomend the lube for reel bearings. If the surface is stained(black)and no pits then it will still be good for packing bearings.

Jim N.

exp2000

It's order time again. Can't believe I have gone through a whole canister of this so quick!

Problem:
Local Price 12 months ago A$29.55.
    Today's Current Price - A$53.76

Since the locals have priced themselves out of the market, I am looking to order outside Australia.
An Asian supplier would be good but I will settle for whoever will ship to Oz at a reasonable price.

Distributors will just tell you top order locally. Any advice?
~

Bryan Young

I got mine from Europe...so I don't have any recommendations.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Probably your best bet is to go to their website and contact them directly.  They will put you in touch with the closest sales representative who can tell you where you can get it from.  They will know which distributors cart which specific products and also where you can order from online.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

exp2000

Quote from: Tightlines666 on June 24, 2014, 01:20:13 AM
Probably your best bet is to go to their website and contact them directly.  They will put you in touch with the closest sales representative who can tell you where you can get it from.  They will know which distributors cart which specific products and also where you can order from online.

Already have that info.

Trouble is, it is too expensive here having gone up in price by 40% in just 12 months!

That is why I am looking elsewhere.
~

ossipeter

Look there:
Australien

X-Products

Dirk Groening
Emerald Beach 2456 NSW

Phone: +61 (0)448 886464

Mail: info@xproducts.com.au
www.xproducts.com.au
Here are all dealer:
Sorry is in german.

ossipeter

Quote from: ossipeter on June 24, 2014, 11:44:11 AM
Look there:
Australien

X-Products

Dirk Groening
Emerald Beach 2456 NSW

Phone: +61 (0)448 886464

Mail: info@xproducts.com.au
www.xproducts.com.au
Here are all dealer:
http://www.scandex.de/chemie/scandex-vertriebspartner-und-haendler.html
Sorry is in german.

exp2000

This is getting a bit frustrating.

What part of looking for a cheap source OUTSIDE of Australia don't you understand  ???

Nancy Erling of Pacific Corrosion Products, California says she can get it and is currently making enquiries.

I have bought Corrsion X products from them before and they are much cheaper than buying locally even after freight plus they are good to deal with.

I remember you commenting on how dismal the price was here when I last purchased some products Alan and now the price of grease has gone up another 40% in just 12 months!

If some enterprising member in the USA was to perhaps buy a case, (not sure how many canisters are in a case), how many forum members would be interested in buying a canister assuming the price was reasonable?
~

Bryan Young

I'll inquire to see if I can obtain more from my German source.  As far as I know, it's not available here in the US so it would have to be imported from Germany.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Corrosion X makes great products, but for reel grease. I just use Penn Blue for the reels internals and reel X on the bearings. I really don't see the need to buy this high dollar grease for reels.
Life is Good!

exp2000

Quote from: Shark Hunter on June 26, 2014, 05:03:34 AM
Corrosion X makes great products, but for reel grease. I just use Penn Blue for the reels internals and reel X on the bearings. I really don't see the need to buy this high dollar grease for reels.

Pretty simple really, it is a soap base for the Corrosion X product you are using on your bearings.

If you can show me something that has superior corrosion protection, I will consider it.

However, there are distinct advantages to using a single line of compatible  products.

Quote from: Bryan Young on June 26, 2014, 12:46:38 AM
I'll inquire to see if I can obtain more from my German source.  As far as I know, it's not available here in the US so it would have to be imported from Germany.

Thanks for that Bryan. I was hoping you would do that.

Nancy got back to me saying she just forwarded my email to their head office in Europe so that will go nowhere.

Strange that you can buy their other products in the states but not the grease.

I really can see no justification for the local price discrepancy on Corrosion X products.

They are over double here vs globally.
~

Shark Hunter

I understand your method of wanting the best grease for your reels, and I am sure it is the best. It better be for almost $4 an ounce! I'm just saying with regular maintenance, Penn Blue and Yamalube will provide adequate corrosion protection at $1.25 an ounce. Alan uses the Yamalube. I just prefer the Penn for its ease of acquisition.
Life is Good!