There's a Pond in Them There Woods

Started by ChileRelleno, October 20, 2015, 01:25:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChileRelleno

My buddy George has a two acre pond on his hunting property that hasn't been fished in almost three years.
He asked if Nathaniel could come up and help him with his Bass & Bream over population.
Nathaniel was more than happy to accept.

I've been up there several weekends helping with prepping for the upcoming Deer season (rifle) and I've hunted the property, and yet I'd never even been to the pond.
So George took me down to it, telling me he'd killed two Cottonmouths on the dock the day before.
We get down there and I get out of the Jeep, stop, look for snakes, grab a rod, stop and look again, which saved me from stepping on a Cottnomouth coiled up right in front of the dock.  Snake lived for another 10 seconds as I dispatched it with my 9mm.
Anyways... Beautiful overcast day, water is crystal clear and there are tons of Largemouth Bass, dinner plate sized Bream and a few huge Grass carp cruising everywhere.
They're not afraid, swimming around watching us watching them.
George wasn't exaggerating, he has too many fish. I tell him, "Nathaniel is gonna flip out when he sees this."
George just grins.

Skip to this last weekend, Nathaniel and I drive up for some fishing and help out with whatever tasks need doing.
A cold front has moved in, it is bright & sunny, pond looks like a glass of tapwater and George is concerned about it killing the bite.
The Bream were in hiding and wouldn't bite any artificial or live bait and none were caught... Zilch.
Even the Bass were a bit leery, not interested in live night crawlers, not interested in any of the various soft plastics.
Finally found what they wanted, a lime green Zoom worm with black and metallic glitter... BAM!
That killed them, fish in a barrel.

Nathaniel had a blast and caught himself two stringers of bass.
They averaged 1.5# with a couple 2#.
This was his first trip to George's place and he had tons of fun, seeing wild turkeys, deer and tons of hog sign.

A big thank you to my friend for making my kid smile.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

Newell Nut

Now that is what it is all about. One very happy young Captain America.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Steve-O

Quote from: Newell Nut on October 20, 2015, 01:47:53 AM
Now that is what it is all about. One very happy young Captain America.

Before i even finished reading, Dwight had already penned my thoughts! :)

Now if there was room for a fly rod to cast.....wooooweeee! ....big bream on a 4 weight is some kind of fun.

HOLEINTHEWATER

Dominick

Chile keep treating the kid that way.  Soon he'll have to face the serious stuff in life.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Dominick,
I have fished with Nathaniel and John several times. Where you find one the other will be there.
They are bonded at the hip. John is a good Dad. Nathaniel has probably spent more time on the sand than I will my entire life. He is a lucky Boy! ;D

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

steelfish

The Baja Guy

ChileRelleno

Guys, Nathaniel reads & appreciates the replies... His ego can hardly get any bigger.
Momma breaded those fillets with sweet panko bread crumbs and fried them perfectly.
The best bass I've ever ate, that pond is so clear and clean and they eat so well, no muddiness whatsoever.

Dom,
I know I need to keep him off stocked ponds & golf courses, its almost like cheating. ::)
No, we don't fish golf course ponds, but I used to in SoCal and they were awesome.   ;D
I'm trying hard to bring our kids up right, they're home schooled with lots of discipline, responsibility and love.
They're minds and bodies are kept active with sports and academics.
I hope that all our work and guidance will help him to become a better Man than I, and meet life's serious stuff head on.

Daron,
thank you for the compliment, it means a lot to hear such.
He is everything to me, my son all too soon to be a man in a whacked out world.
Also, that is a nice pic of us, we love days like that.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."