Isla Guadalupe or Bust...!

Started by Aiala, October 23, 2015, 12:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Great White Sharks are protected as an endangered species in many waters around the world.

If caught incidentally -- the best way to deal with the issue and give the GWS the best chance of survival -- is to cut the line as soon as you know it is a GWS.

Many times these large Apex Predators are stressed to the point during a tough fight -- and being out of the water when the hook is attempted to be removed -- will cause their eventual death even after release back into the sea.

Some may not agree -- but a lost hook and leader is nothing compared to the death of one of these beautiful creatures.

Yes, like the Grizzly, Polar Bear, Tigers, and other top predators -- they have a place in Nature's food chain -- and as responsible anglers and sportsmen and sportswomen -- we should encourage and respect that.

Just my opinion.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Aiala

Quote from: foakes on November 03, 2015, 07:00:46 PM
Great White Sharks are protected as an endangered species in many waters around the world.
If caught incidentally -- the best way to deal with the issue and give the GWS the best chance of survival -- is to cut the line as soon as you know it is a GWS.
Many times these large Apex Predators are stressed to the point during a tough fight -- and being out of the water when the hook is attempted to be removed -- will cause their eventual death even after release back into the sea.
Some may not agree -- but a lost hook and leader is nothing compared to the death of one of these beautiful creatures.
Yes, like the Grizzly, Polar Bear, Tigers, and other top predators -- they have a place in Nature's food chain -- and as responsible anglers and sportsmen and sportswomen -- we should encourage and respect that.
Just my opinion.
Best,
Fred

Impeccably stated, Fred; nothing more need be said. And that's my opinion!  ;)

~A~

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Aiala

Quote from: Newell Nut on November 01, 2015, 09:19:23 PM
Great fishing Aiala, keep up the good work and keep the boat bloody.

Dwight, I neglected to mention that I was wearing my lucky Newell Nut earrings the whole time!

I don't go fishing without 'em.  :D

~A~

David Hall

Wow, thanks for the story it's almost like being there except I'm not tired and sore.  What a spectacular trip, and feeding great whites boatside too!  My hat is off to you for your tenacity and spirit for adventure, I can't wait for my first LR trip.  Will be on the RS also.

Aiala

Quote from: David Hall on November 04, 2015, 12:25:55 AM
Will be on the RS also.

Terrific, David! I promise you will not be disappointed. Is that Jon Vadney's Seeker 12-day next November? I'd give anything to be on that trip, but I just don't know if I can swing being away that long... lots of family responsibilities.  :-\

~A~

thorhammer

wow thats a bucket list trip....looks like i'm "goin' back to Cali" with work here soon...gotta find a bendo!!!!

Big Tim

Aiala: Great report! I'm so glad you got to go, since I've never caught one of those Tunas exceeding #40 and know what a chore that was I can only imagine the taxes one pays to reel in a big one. You are to be commended on your efforts. I would love to see one of those GWS up close, as long as he was taking someone else's fish  ;D

BT

BonitaBch

Thanks for the write-up, sounds like a great trip.  Glad that you enjoyed the fishing, and the catching, and the scenery.
Bonita Beach, FL