Last Striper report and season summary.

Started by STRIPER LOU, October 23, 2015, 08:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

As much as I hated too I packed it in this week and brought the boat home. This time of year the NW winds in the rip area's I fish can get pretty nasty. I think its a matter of getting older and MAYBE a bit wiser??? The tally count was 209 Stripers for the season. I also caught a fair amount of schoolies which I make a notation of but not in  the final count of the big girls. Its always nice to see the school fish as it gives me and indication of what's to come in the following years.
All but about a dozen and a half fish were released to swim another day and the one's kept were for family and friends and were thoroughly enjoyed by all .
A large majority of the fish this year were in the 25lb range. (aprox 12 yr class), 11 were in the mid to upper 30's (aprox 14/15 yr class), 9 in the low to upper 40's (aprox 16/17 yr class), and 1 50lb in the (18 to 20 yr class).
About 80% of the fish were caught on the S. H. Swimmer and the balance on the big swimming plugs, surface plugs, tube n worm, mini umbrellas and bunker spoons. A decent year overall and I have heard the count of fresh bass for 2015 yr class are almost double the past average!!!! Very good news.
There is a possibility I may get out this weekend with a buddy of mine as a good charge of big fish have moved into the river and feeding on the large schools of menhayden there.
The picture is the last fish of the day taken on a surface plug and spinning outfit with 15lb mono. Nice fight and tonight's supper!
Its gonna be a long winter.
...........Lou

David Hall

The end of the season is always depressing to me but you must have time for boat maintenance, gear maintenance and making new jigs, plugs and rigs for next season. 
We are enjoying a rare event on the west coast of central ca.  Unusually good weather and blue fin tuna close to shore.  iM still getting at least one good weather day a week and reports have the fish still in the area.  Most all the boats like me are novice BFT fishermen as we rarely have them here we never target them, usually they are a happy by catch to our albacore fishery which has been non existent for the past two seasons and very poor the past five. 
iM getting out tomorrow morning for my third crack at them, got lucky my first time out and bagged a nice 50lber which has been making some fantastic meals and got shared around family and friends.  hOpe to find them tomorrow and get lucky again.
Looks to me like you enjoyed a very nice striper season this year, you got some slugs and worked them over pretty good, your handle is well deserved.  iF I ever get out east I'm gonna look you up!

JoePlo

Nice write up. Where do you fish? Also what is the S.H. Swimmer? Also when you are using topwater are you finding the fish under birds? If not under birds how do you determine a good time to topwater?

STRIPER LOU

Joe, My boat is kept in Niantic. its a good central point to move around from. The SH Swimmer is a slope head swimming plug that I build. This year that particular plug was the hot ticket!
On occasion I do fish under the birds but try to avoid them as it usually brings crowd's. I fish a few exposed boulder piles with homemade darters and poppers and its worked out well for me. What's your home base?
......................Lou

JoePlo

That is a very very pretty plug. Home base is soon to be the middle Chesapeake in vic Williamsburg.

Like you mentioned fishing under the birds is usually a zoo and I have been cussed at a plenty due to "driving like a yankee." Its comical that if you do not troll heavy gear north-south or east-west that you get some love over the VHF. Trolling is not my style and I prefer to find the fish deep and target with diamond jigs.

I am interested in refining my ability to find larger fish to throw topwater at without having to be in the under the birds mess. The bay where I fish does not have too many submerged rocks but does have some decent bars where water drops off from 12ft to 30-40ft.

Also interested in the rod you use to throw that plug. I picked up a ton of really nice older plugs from my grandfather last year that I want to throw a bit.

Steve-O

SL- been a fantastic season following your success catching the big ones. And pretty much on demand with your early - before the crowd- outings.

As was mentioned, time to reflect, reminisce, re-gear and get ready for next spring.  Or take a trip down south somewhere for some tropical fishing. ;)

thanks for taking us along.

My urban angling adventures are due to shut down pretty soon as the "lights go out" when the temps drop in the next few weeks.

STRIPER LOU

Joe P, for spinning I use a medium action 7" Tica, but most of my fishing is trolling with wire. Its not my favorite but it definitely produces. I wont leave the dock without a wire and a leadcore outfit. You can catch them on top but most of the big ladies are deep. I also enjoy diamond jigging and we usually get a May run in the Race that's outstanding!
Steve O, I'm pleased with the outcome this season. Had lots of fun and added another 50 lber to the count. As far as projects I have more than I can handle. Keeps me out of trouble anyways!!
Have a great winter guys and stay well.
.......................lou