Is There A Solution?

Started by SoCalAngler, November 11, 2015, 05:01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I'm looking to put my Monofil 27 with a 30-180S reel foot on a deckhand style rod. The problem is that the reels foot/stand does not have lugs to mount a reel clamp onto. Also, I don't want the older style foot with lugs and the wing nuts holding the reel onto the rod. I want something that looks cleaner. Further more, no I won't tape on the reel or use zip ties to hold the reel onto the rod as IMO this looks way too cheap.

I have a smoking hot deal for a rod but if I can't find a better solution to mount the reel to the rod I may have one of the greatest   8' 15 lb test rods without a reel to mount it onto.

So, does anyone know of a reel clamp that mounts to a Monofil 27, that looks clean and will hold the reel onto a deckhand style rod?

foakes

Hi SCA --

If it was mine, I would get a Tib half frame -- already has a good attached foot with clean studs that you can then use with an aluminum solid clamp and flush SS clamp screws.

Clean, and much stronger than a stock stand -- and a lifetime reel with that sleek look.

No frame tweak.

Should be able to find a good used one, new one, or get ahold of Randy at Vintage Offshore.

Best,

Fred

Porthos did this one --

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Dominick

Just type in "deckhand style rod" in a Google search.  Several styles come up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

doradoben

Maybe try a Newell 220 base and clamp.

Alto Mare

Here you go Mark:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/30-49.aspx
and this:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33C-113.aspx
If you're not crazy about the graphite clamp, you could use this one:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33-49.aspx
or this one:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/33R-49.aspx
I'm not sure if the clamp holes will work with the stud nut on these clamps, but it isn't a big deal if you need to enlarge the hole a little. Stud nuts need to slide into the clamp holes , no alterations needed if you use the graphite clamp.
If any of these parts are not available, get back to me.

Sal

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

bluefish69

As Ben said a Newell 220 reel seat is a direct replacement. I know people that change them all the time.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Aiala

According to Scott's, the Monofil 27's original (non-holed) stand #30-180S (https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/30-180S.aspx) has been replaced by part #30-49, which does indeed have holes for compatible clamp #33C-49: (https://www.mysticparts.com/Search.aspx?k=33c-49)  

Good luck with your build! :)

~A~

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

SoCalAngler

Fred, I don't want to put a Tib frame on a reel that I will fish 15 lb test on but thanks. The whole idea is to keep this setup as light as possible.

Ben and Mike, yes a 220 reels foot will work but their kind of hard to find and since I have maybe 15-17 dollars in this reel I really don't want spend more than the reels worth just for a stand that takes lugs but thank you.

Sal and Aiala, the reel foot you both show have the circular hole that takes the older style lugs that use the wing nuts, something I"m trying to stay away from. The lugs you show Sal in the kit listed would be great but they won't work with the stand shown correctly. Thanks.

You guys did give me something to think about though. Maybe if I got the older style lugs shown and hold the lugs in the reels foot with the nuts I could cut down the lugs. Then attach a clamp, in this case I have a Cork Puppy and then use the type of clamp nuts in the kit to hold on the clamp. This may work.

Oh and Dominic I know what a deckhand style rod is but thank you too.

Aiala

I don't like wing nuts, either. I always substitute (chromed) lock nuts.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Porthos on November 12, 2015, 07:52:14 PM
Anything here worth considering?

http://www.charkbait.com/cs/csr_Reel-Clamps.htm

Thanks for your input but I have a clamp and that is a Cork Puppy. I use these on all of my deckhand style rods.

Maybe I should of been more clear, what I really need is to mount lugs to the #27 so I can add the clamp I already have.

Just a side note for anyone looking to buy a Cork Puppy for their deckhand style rods. I have seen new ones out on the market but the ones I saw don't have the same design as the older models. The new Cork Puppy's don't have the sliding, I don't know what to call them, I call them flanges on the sides of the clamp, which allows you to mount reels of different widths onto a rod. The new ones are fixed/don't move out or in depending on the width of the reels lugs. To me this is not right as the clamps now will only fit a reel with the same lug width as the clamps, very limited use.

I showed this to the owner of one of the tackle shops I go into and he thought it was not right either even though he had maybe 15 clamps of the newer design he was selling. I have not been back to the shop or any other ones looking for the Cork Puppy's and maybe they corrected the problem, it's really a simple fix but if your buying on line give the shop a call and make sure the clamps have the sliding flanges, if not there is a very good chance the clamps won't fit your reel.

SoCalAngler

I'll start another thread in the "Setting Up Your Reel to Go Fishing" section to show what I'm talking about with the Cork Puppy's.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Mark. I agree that attaching your reel to your rod with tape or cable ties would look tacky, and I would never consider either of those options.  I much prefer a pair of rusty old hose clamps.  I have a spare set that would look great with your 27 and I would be happy to sell them at a substantial discount.

bluefish69

Mark

I just checked. I have a Penn 30-49 Reel seat with Clamp. Old owner cut the screws for the Clamp shorter but they are easy to get. If you don't need the Clamp I can put it back in it's home.

Do you want it???

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

SoCalAngler

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on November 13, 2015, 08:38:07 AM
Mark. I agree that attaching your reel to your rod with tape or cable ties would look tacky, and I would never consider either of those options.  I much prefer a pair of rusty old hose clamps.  I have a spare set that would look great with your 27 and I would be happy to sell them at a substantial discount.

Now that's funny. I almost spit out a frosty cold adult beverage all over my computer.