113h sea of cortez special

Started by steelfish, November 21, 2015, 02:05:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

well, 113h Baja Special name was already taken sooo. Sea of Cortez Special it is, a simple "stock width" tanked out 113h senator

this will be a long term project as well as low budgeted one   ;D.
currently I don't have the "need" and money for all the current upgrades for the 113h but I want to have a 113h senator normal width capable of give a good fights to local monsters in north of Baja as groupers, big cabrillas, broomtails, baqueta grouper, etc.
stock 113h and 114h are seen in many local fishing charters cuz they are really strong reels but not many have 113h or 114h tanked reels, and as majority here know there is something attracting about customizing and upgrading an old reel and make it better than many expensive modern reel.

you surely wont find in this thread any new trick or part, or any awesomeness that appear in many threads in this forum I can here to learn and found many guys that have mastered the art of upgrading and customizing a reel.

when I was on RC cars I upgraded a part of the RC truck one part every two weeks or each month, at the end of the season or the year I suddenly have a really nice and powerful car, well that's the same way that I will treat this reel, one part every few weeks, then use it like that and then upgrade another part.

pending parts (not particular order)
- SS yoke
- stock metal 3.25 gears (low gear for more torque)
- handle side aluminum plate
- accurate frame or topless tib frame
- SS gear sleeve
- longer handle
- bigger knob

possible future upgrades:
- 4:1 SS gears
- versadrags if they ever come out
- double dog bridge

already have
- double dog with SS dogs from Lee (keta)
- octagonal insert  from Keta and proper custom cut HT-100 drag washer (not carbontex) with generous Cals grease
- accurate left side plate
- Delrin under gear and top drag stack thanks Sal

this should be the perfect mate for my Baja Special reel

some pics just because I feel like posting them

stock dog on the right, SS dog from Keta in the middle and modified SS dog

carving for double doggin the 113h

114h spring used on the 2nd dog which was modified

both dogs engaged, boy,... the sounds of DD is music

the spring is going nowhere soon, you don't even see it when the dog is engaged,  it doesn't have the small problem of the 2nd dog with stock 113h spring

when you turn the handle you can barely see the spring, the 2nd dog was modified to have more clearance and turn the handle freely and smooth.

and the rest of the few upgrades are the next:

Keta insert, HT-100 octagonal cut, Delrin under gear and top gear, left side accuplate and if it counts half graphite frame.

I don't know if this will work better, the same or worst, but I put the octagonal metal washer (cutting guide) in the middle of the stack to act as a "metal keyed washer"

after 8 washers (drag and metal) there is a minimal space on the adapter, so, instead of installing another metal washer, then stock spring washer, I opted to cut the last drag washer with no edges but round, the reason? when tightening the star that drag washer will fit a bit more in the octagon adapter.
so the last part of the drag stack are, smaller round cut drag washer, Lee's metal washer, Delrin on the top and the sleeve spacer

any comment or thoughts in this drag stack set up?

well, that's it, next post on my next upgrade, thanks for all your knowledge and disinterested help.

The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

I wouldn't use the cutting guide in there. The hex drags work by multiplying the forces of the drag washers on either side. If the washer between them can't turn. It defeats the purpose.
Life is Good!

steelfish

Quote from: Shark Hunter on November 21, 2015, 04:49:53 AM
I wouldn't use the cutting guide in there. The hex drags work by multiplying the forces of the drag washers on either side. It the washer between them can't turn. It defeats the purpose.

Thanks Sharky.. you are totally right.
I completely forgot That drag washers dont turn
The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

MarkT

Next up should be a stainless gear shaft. With the double dogs and beefed up drags it's the weak spot.  If you added the other accuplate you'd lose the double dog unless you added one of the new double dog bridges once they're out.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

steelfish

Thanks Sal

Mark, SS gear sleeve should be my next upgrade as you already said, xmas is right at the corner ..maybe Santa will bring me one.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

well this reel had a little twist and have few changes already.

Sea of Cortez Special as name for this reel now sounds better than ever, now it has Tom's side plates, Cortez Convertion Creation, baby!!

now also has a Newell 4:1 SS gears, bit on the noisy side but I can live with that, and features the same Lee (keta) Octagon Insert, Lee SS dog (I have to drop the 2nd dog, Lee harness Blanks and also Delrin washer under mian gear and top delrin washer, they came to stay.

everything installed

and now this is a beauty.

I know I have few important parts pending to upgrade, and they will come.. step by step guys.

next upgrade part will be a Wide tiburon frame red candy apple that needs bit TLC but already on the works.
after that :

double dog bridge and SS sleeve

thanks Guys for all your help so far.

The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

That's some good work there.  Should last forever when you are done.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

thorhammer

Nice! I had to travel this week suddenly but will get the paint pen out to you Monday.

John

David Hall

steelfish

Quote from: steelfish on June 02, 2016, 06:20:42 PM

next upgrade part will be a Wide tiburon frame red candy apple that needs bit TLC but already on the works.

well, the Cortez Special 113hw now has the tiburon frame, I really like how it turned out after some bodyshop job (JB-weld, sanding and paint)
more info on the body shop job on this thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=18124.0  (page 3)

now it has all the above upgrades and now the aluminium frame, look awesome.
and feels really smooth, the spool spins in freespool really good, the bearings that Tom used ont the sideplates are really good, this reels could cast really good if needed.

first some yamaha grease on the reel seat for protection

this was the worst part before the restoration

still in progress but it might catch a fish or two between the next upgrades

The Baja Guy