Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Yup!...beautiful reel.
Did you use the ss bridge? also, did you fine tune one of the dogs?
Very nice.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yogi_fish808

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 23, 2016, 10:16:56 PM
Yup!...beautiful reel.
Did you use the ss bridge? also, did you fine tune one of the dogs?
Very nice.

Sal

Thanks guys, yep she's a good looking reel. Sal, i think I did, it operates smooth but i have to check if i did it properly. I was a few beers in by the time i had put it back together.

PacRat

Okay, here's mine. I was holding out until I was 100% but 95% will have to do for now. It's fully loaded except for Bryan's 5 stack which isn't installed yet. I wasn't even going to purchase black plates until I got a look at them then couldn't resist, thank you Tom. Also Al 'DaBigOno' with his black 500 Magnum which really inspired the aesthetics for this. Thank you Randy for the Newell spool which I really wanted to go into this one. Pro-Challenger bridge and gears and Alan Tani's 2nd Generation gear sleeve. Last but not least...thanks to all the members here for inspiring and fueling the addiction. Building reels is the next best thing to fishing.
-Mike  

steelhead_killer

Quote from: PacRat on January 26, 2016, 06:36:15 PM
Okay, here's mine. I was holding out until I was 100% but 95% will have to do for now. It's fully loaded except for Bryan's 5 stack which isn't installed yet. I wasn't even going to purchase black plates until I got a look at them then couldn't resist, thank you Tom. Also Al 'DaBigOno' with his black 500 Magnum which really inspired the aesthetics for this. Thank you Randy for the Newell spool which I really wanted to go into this one. Pro-Challenger bridge and gears and Alan Tani's 2nd Generation gear sleeve. Last but not least...thanks to all the members here for inspiring and fueling the addiction. Building reels is the next best thing to fishing.
-Mike 

Where did you find the handle and knob? Really good looking reel!
><)))">

PacRat

I'd also like to add that I really appreciate the tight tolerances. Thank you Tom and Alan. I always prefer to file, sand and fit parts until they feel just right rather than throwing a bunch of parts together with a sloppy fit (except for Kalashnikovs)! These are some really beautiful heirloom reels which our grandchildren will be proud to own one day.

Thanks Andy. The handle is an Accurate that I modified with a knob that I picked up on eBay.

Maxed Out

Almost too nice to fish Mike, and you're right about that all black. It is stunning.

The handle arm looks like old style accurate and the black knob on that handle arm makes it very unique combo. Time for a neoprene reel cover to keep war wounds to a minimum. I kept wondering if you'd ever post up your black cortez jiggy, and all I gotta say is it was well worth the wait. Well done Mike  8)

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

PacRat

Thanks Ted. This black one was an afterthought. I originally purchased silver plates to build a 99 but when I saw the black I had to get a second set. I'm still working on it but it's close enough to post.

What kind of free-spool are you guys getting? With just the frame and spool this thing really free-spooled for a long time. I didn't even bother to time it, just gave it a spin and it went on and on like the Energizer Bunny. After I installed the bridge and gears the free-spool was cut dramatically. I'm assuming this is due to spool-shaft to pinion contact/friction. I always clean and polish my pinion and spool-shaft. I'm going to tear this one down once more for the drag, final lube and one last look before putting line on. I'll also give it a spin without the bridge again.

Any suggestions?

-Mike

steelhead_killer

Free Spool = plenty.  Im looking at slowing it down...
><)))">

Maxed Out

Good question Mike. I'm sure Sal can answer that one for you Mike, and I'll be interested in his answer.

I just wanted to add, I recently bought neoprene covers for my cortez reels and the one that fits perfectly on the 501 cortez jigmaster is a "jaws" size MN. ...Well worth having IMO.

PacRat

The free-spool has me stumped for now. It sounds and feels very smooth but it feels like it has a wad of grease in it. I always run a Q-tip through my pinion and wipe the spool shaft during assembly but it feels like it's greased. I may also loosen the side-plates and give it a twist...that always helped with my old Newelled Penns.

Maxed Out

I see where a few guys needed shims for their newell spool shafts, and Tom has those shims if that's the case.. Not sure if that's needed here, but just mentioning it.

PacRat

I thought the shims were only required for the Tiburon spools. I still love my reel though. I'll get to the bottom of it as I know it had great free-spool without the guts. I like to isolate component groups when I diagnose. Also the spool will spin better with the line on it.

Alto Mare

Quote from: PacRat on January 26, 2016, 09:34:12 PM
I thought the shims were only required for the Tiburon spools. I still love my reel though. I'll get to the bottom of it as I know it had great free-spool without the guts. I like to isolate component groups when I diagnose. Also the spool will spin better with the line on it.
Shims are required with any spool that need them, tolerance changes with Penn spools as well not just Newell and Accurate or Tiburon. I was testing one of these today, the pinion was loose on the Penn brass spool, but tight on the aluminum.
I'm thinking your problem is with the Newell spool shaft, I have a few that did the same. I bet if you remove the spool from the reel, the bearing will remain attached to it, a clear indication that the spool shaft is larger.
I will usually chuck up the spool to my drill press and let it spin on some wet/dry 1200 sandpaper, or extra fine steel wool. This has been working for me, but you are taking a chance with the spool. You need to make sure you don't apply too much pressure while its spinning.
There might be an easier way, I do it this way simply because it has been working for me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Shark Hunter

That is a beauty Mike.
I haven't been a fan of the black in the past, but its growing on me. ;)
When I posted the pic of mine, I had my tanks out with it.
I notice tank #2 was grinding when you shifted. The pinion gear was hanging up on the spool shaft.
A little emery cloth and it is shifting great now.
Life is Good!

Cortez_Conversions

Lots of good advise here, also make sure you don't have a spot of grease contacting the spool or between the pinion and spool.
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal