Aluminum Jig Master side plate sets

Started by Cortez_Conversions, December 05, 2015, 08:10:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garyal

Am I correct in thinking a complete 99 special can be built without actually having a 99??

Frame
Spool
drag
SS Bridge
Gears,
Side plates
Handle
arm
Dual dog

then just buy a few misc. springs, screws etc.

Is this true??

I already have a Newell 332 but this REALLY looked sweet in black.

Three se7ens

Quote from: garyal on February 02, 2016, 04:19:06 AM
Am I correct in thinking a complete 99 special can be built without actually having a 99??

Frame
Spool
drag
SS Bridge
Gears,
Side plates
Handle
arm
Dual dog

then just buy a few misc. springs, screws etc.

Is this true??

I already have a Newell 332 but this REALLY looked sweet in black.

Youre pretty close, and thats the route I went.  You will need the eccentric, eccentric lever, spring, and jack plate along with your list though. 

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

thorhammer

Quote from: PacRat on January 29, 2016, 08:00:21 PM
Ted, When in freespool this thing is as smooth as silk. If you turn the crank the spool will turn but only due to pinion/shaft friction and it will stop turning with the slightest thumb contact, then you only hear the dogs ticking away. The gear mesh sounds and feels very smooth.

John, There's no wobble or movement of the spool in relation to the frame (Tib P21)...just a few thousandths side-to-side as adjusted. This has a Newell spool and there's no contact on the spool flanges or fins. This is the smoothest Jigmaster I've ever handled. Very tight tolerances but no binding or strange sounds, ticks, etc.

This reel is a testament to the talents, skills and knowledge of the combined body of this board...especially the machinists who make parts for us and those who figure out how to make all these parts play well together.

Don't forget us on the pictorial....

I've learned a lot on this project (labor of love) and I've come to some conclusions that I did an extensive write-up this morning but photobucket was down for maintenance and I lost the whole thing when I tried to attach photos...I'm still trying to cope with that. I really wanted to throttle the photobucket kitty today! I'll repost when photo bucket is working again.
-Mike

PacRat

I finally got around to putting some line on  my Cortez 501 and all I can say is 'WOW"...this thing casts as good as it looks! I spooled it with some generic 30# mono that came on a Senator. This isn't the line I'll fish it with but good enough for some dry-land trials. Right now I'm just tossing it around the back yard so I'm using a lot of thumb. I can't wait to see what it will do with some good line on it and open ocean out front.
-Mike

fishhead69

Your sideplates are great quality and craftsmanship. I bought 5 sets of the Jigmaster sideplates and I am using Tiburon spools. If you could please send me enough stainless steel washers for these 5 pairs of sideplates I would greatly appreciate it. I built the first one and had the issue of not being able to center the spool.

Thank you very much,
Paul Berinson

Cortez_Conversions

I dropped a bunch in the mail today for you Paul.
Thanks!
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

sdlehr

I have finally completed my Cortez Conversions Jigmaster build. I have the following people to thank; Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle for the Tiburon frame (what a headache that was for him, but he persisted and came through), Tom for the sideplates (of course), Alan C. at Pro Challenger for the SS internals (5:1 main:pinion, eccentric jack, pinion yolk, bridge with double SS dogs) and 50mm EVA handle, Scotts for the SS gear sleeve (I believe an Alan Tani product?), Bryan Young for the 5+1 drag stack, and Adam at Motive Fabrication for the star and crank arm. She was a little rough at first, but sitting down during the debate the other night and cranking out my frustrations has smoothed her out quite a bit.

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Ron Jones

Quote from: sdlehr on February 06, 2016, 07:41:16 PM
I have finally completed my Cortez Conversions Jigmaster build. I have the following people to thank; Randy at Vintage Offshore Tackle for the Tiburon frame (what a headache that was for him, but he persisted and came through), Tom for the sideplates (of course), Alan C. at Pro Challenger for the SS internals (main/pinion, eccentric jack, pinion yolk, bridge) and 50mm EVA handle, Scotts for the SS gear sleeve (I believe an Alan Tani product?), Bryan Young for the 5+1 drag stack, and Adam at Motive Fabrication for the star and crank arm. She was a little rough at first, but sitting down during the debate the other night and cranking out my frustrations has smoothed her out quite a bit.

Fantastic!
That is something about all SS internals. Brass reels just need a few spins and they are wore in, acceptably smooth. When you start dealing with harder materials, you need to do some lapping and tuning to make it rite. That is where being a reel smith comes in. There are thousands (millions?) of Mauser 98s that have had a bunch of parts thrown on them and cost a few hundred bucks, there are far less 98s that have had a master put countless hours of his blood, sweat and love into to turn into masterpieces. CNC aside, when you are working with the highest level of equipment you have to develop a deep enough skill set at an elevated enough level to make something truly special. Someday, I hope to get there.

Really great reel. I can't wait to read about the first fish.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Rothmar2

That is just awesome! I can't wait to get home and get my hands on these plates.
To everyone who has posted their builds, all things of beauty you have!
Thanks Tom for making these happen.

sdlehr

Thanks, guys. Sal, I'm sure you recognize the crank. It's a nice design.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

anglingarchitect

Sal just finished up a couple of Jig masters for me so I thought I would share the pictures.

Parts

Completed Reels

anglingarchitect

They were assembled by Sal you know they can't be anything but perfect, I have a couple of J Variance 113h's that the boss did for me and they weren't the  same reels I sent him, and now they are my favorites.