Shimano Calcutta 400TE power handle (trinidad 12 handle)

Started by steelfish, May 03, 2016, 01:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

I have this Calcutta 400TE since many years ago, for few years I used the stock handle with paddle knobs, they are not that small but you still have to hold it with just two fingers so after some time I went with the normal option, the stock handle of a trinidad 20-40, really nice size of the knob and alot more of leverage when fighting a nice fish, but there is a problem, a well known problem, from time to time the heavy handle activate the drag when casting a jig or a heavy lure, there are some tips and steps to avoid that problem

its nice if you will use the reel for jigs only and never cast spoon or irons

but in the heat of a feeding frenzy or a nice oportunity you always forgot those tips and end up with a nice over run on the worst moment, so I have to find another option.

some guys use the stock handle of a shimano corvalus 600
looks nice but not that bigger than the stock handle but you have a bigger know and counterbalance weight

but found out that trinidad 12/14 handle fits the calcutta shaft, so I got a new trini 12 handle, as you can see its thicker, the round knob feels 3x better that the "ergonomic knob" of the corvalus, it feels more sturdy, and lasty its bit shy more longer that the powerhandle of the corvalus

nicee, it looks nicer that the stocker and the previous power handle from the corvalus, looks like a mini trinidad with levelwind

sorry I didnt took the picture, but the star dont fit inside the bend/curve of the handle, you have to bend the ends of the star carefully a bit,
it actually make it look better that just a straigh star

with the drag all bottoned down the now bended star ends dont touch the cast control cap

few weeks after I installed the new power handle, I tested it and it was a winner, it doesnt feel too big and heavy, let the reel cast to the moon and never activated the drag a mid cast, and for my small hands its more than enough to have good leverage

The Baja Guy