Where to look for damage?

Started by xaf, May 05, 2016, 12:46:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

I have a Saltiga 50 conventional star drag reel that I use all the time fishing for mutton snapper.  A few days ago I got a very hard hit by a big fish of some sort resulting in reel being kicked out of gear and a loud grinding sound for about a second. I am not sure what happened but apparently the pinion gear was not fully seated or the anti-reverse pawl was not fully engaged resulting in the "grinding" noise as the reel came out of gear.  The reel worked fine the rest of the trip but I'm afraid there might have been internal damage to the pinion gear, the a/r pawl, a/r ratchet or something else.  I really like this reel and want to keep it in tip-top shape, especially since Daiwa no longer makes this reel. Where should I look for damage and what should I be looking for?  Rounded edges on the pawl or gear teeth? Weakened springs such as the yoke springs?  Any particular parts I should be looking to replace?  Any advice would be appreciated. 

Marcq

Only way to find out, you need to open up the reel.
Marc..

xaf

I realize I have to open the reel up.  I was hoping someone could point out the parts to most receive damage and the type of damage (if any) to look for.

handi2

I would look closely at the pinion gear and the end of the spool shaft first. That big fish may have broken the pinion gear and/or the end of the spool shaft.

Then onto the dogs and ratchet.

Does it "go backwards" now that there is no strain on the reel?

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

xaf

Thanks for the input.  To answer your question, no the reel seems to work fine. Just afraid it might happen again.   I'm going to open it up this weekend and will see what I find.