it's time for a carbontex replacment drag washer for the tyrnos reels

Started by alantani, March 17, 2011, 02:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

shimano is backordered until june.  looks like we will be needing a carbontex replacement.  go to the end of the post.  thanks!  alan

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1083.0
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

edgarz

I need to order a drag washer for my Tyrnos 10. How do I go about it, what's the procedure at Smoothdrag.com? Also I do not see a washer for the Tyrnos 10 in their list of drags.?

Another question is for my new Aceration 8000P, do I need to replace or stock up on drags so it will be a one time order?

I live in the Philippines.

Thanks in advance.

Edgarz

Nessie Hunter

edgarz :
Smoothdrags does not currently stock the Carbontex for Trynos reels...

From what I have learned the past few days..  ???
Shimano says they have a few Product numbers that are defective.  But the ones I was working on had 4 of the 6 with GOOD numbers.
These 4 Trynos reels were brand new, and the drags were decaying in them worse then the BAD numbered ones!!!   
Matt Said the washers that are on Back order till "July" would probably be the same as whats in there now...

I made some washers for 6 Trynos out of a sheet of Carbontex material..   
See post.... 

The washer in the 10 is less then 2" in Dia..   1.15 mm thick...
If you can get a piece of material that is 1.15 mm thick & 2" or 3" square you can make it yourself.
I dont know if Dawn sells it like that, but I would ask for sure...  Rather them wait 2 months and get the same crappy washer that Shimano is putting out...

The Aceration 8000P Spinning reel,  If you are getting/Making Carbontex washers.
You Should be good to go with Carbontex For a very, very long time.
They seldom wear out...

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Roger

You might want to take a look at this site. They've got carbon fiber sheets that are 1.5mm thick and you can just roll your own.

http://www.dragonplate.com/ecart/product.asp?pID=3717&cID=69
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Dawn

I've gotten samples from this site when I was looking for carbon fiber.
The CF is encased in epoxy, it's like a piece of plastic, won't work for drags
Dawn

edgarz

Good day Dawn,

Seeing that you don't have a disc cut out for the Tyrnos 10, is it possible to buy a sheet for me to cut out?

Cheers,
Edgarz

Dawn

Okay, have gotten several requests for pieces of material from guys who want to try and make their own washer
You can get a small piece for the Tynos 8 or 10 for $8.00 or Tyrnos 12 or 16 for $9.00    The material is a little thicker than the stock drags.
I will get some washers made up as soon as I can more of get this material in.  I just have a small quantity right now.

Dawn
Dawn

Dawn

The Tyrnos 8/10 piece would be about 2.25 x 2.25 inches
The Tyrnos 12/26 about 2.5 x 2.5
Dawn

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: Dawn on March 22, 2011, 12:03:54 AM
The Tyrnos 8/10 piece would be about 2.25 x 2.25 inches
The Tyrnos 12/26 about 2.5 x 2.5

I assume thats a typo??? 
" The Tyrnos 12/26 about 2.5 x 2.5 " = (12/16 ~ not 26).....

The TLD 20/25 single, 'eared' Carbontex washer can be fitted easily to the 20 size Trynos. 
Cut off ears and notch, Then cut center larger..... 

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Dawn

Yes...typo..sorry    ;D

Dawn

alantani

ok, this is going to interesting.  shimano shipped me two drag washers for the tyrnos.  can't remember who.  anyone out there order a couple of drag washers that may start flaking off anyway? 

Nessie Hunter

Quote from: alantani on March 22, 2011, 11:02:47 PM
ok, this is going to interesting.  shimano shipped me two drag washers for the tyrnos.  can't remember who.  anyone out there order a couple of drag washers that may start flaking off anyway? 

When I talked to Matt the other day (same day you talked to him) He told me the washers he sent you were probably the same as what you were replacing...????

Are the ones you got flaky and soft also??

WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

alantani

taz575

I got drag washers in late Feb early March and they are identical to the pull apart washers in the reel originally.