Quick trip to the coast....

Started by Keta, September 25, 2016, 12:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

...and a 600 mile drive due to road closures.  

Drove to my son's in Monmouth, OR Wednesday evening then over to Newport, OR early Thursday to chase albacore again but the bar was closed at 0600.  We then drove north to Depot /bay and got out, only to decide it was not a good day to make the 50 mile run to the fish so we went to plan B. We tossed out 3 crap pots and then targeted inshore halibut, we tagged out with nice fish, then closer to shore for 3 limits of real nice black and blue rockfish and 5 smallish lingcod.  When we pulled the first pot it had 2.5 limits of large crab and a pile of keepers we tossed back.  The other 2 pots were the same.  After taking care of things on shore I drove back to my son's arriving at 00:30 Friday morning, a long day but fun.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

STRIPER LOU

Sounds like a great day! Glad you enjoyed yourself. A great mixed bag too. Looks like an amazing seafood dinner is coming up!
Regard's,  ..  Lou

sdlehr

And a good time was had by all! Thanks for the report.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

bluefish69

On Tuesday nights we have a show about the Crabbers from Newport. They are insane to go through that inlet 14-16' waves either coming in or going out. There is a lot of money to be made.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bill B

Cool beans Lee, glad you had a good trip....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Keta

Quote from: bluefish69 on September 25, 2016, 03:30:35 PM
On Tuesday nights we have a show about the Crabbers from Newport. They are insane to go through that inlet 14-16' waves either coming in or going out. There is a lot of money to be made.

Mike

75% or more of Dungeon Cove is BS, including the nonexistant cove.  The Yaquina Bar can be bad but is one of the safest in Oregon.  Lots of shots of waves breaking on the sunken end of the north jeddy, something that happens even when the bar is in good shape.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Sounds like a productive trip Lee, No matter how many obstacles were thrown your way. ;)
Life is Good!

Dominick

Yo Lee...photos.  No pics it did not happen.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

redsetta

QuoteYo Lee...photos. No pics it did not happen.
:D ;D
Nice work Lee - thanks for sharing the report.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Keta

Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

bluefish69

Quote from: Keta on September 25, 2016, 05:18:05 PM
Quote from: bluefish69 on September 25, 2016, 03:30:35 PM

Mike

75% or more of Dungeon Cove is BS, including the nonexistant cove.  The Yaquina Bar can be bad but is one of the safest in Oregon.  Lots of shots of waves breaking on the sunken end of the north jeddy, something that happens even when the bar is in good shape. 

Thanks Lee  --  I knew there was a ton of drama in this TV show

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

hurt locker

Thanks for the report. I always enjoy reading about types of fishing and locations that i have never been able to experience.