113H gets a face lift

Started by rippin_lips, November 14, 2016, 01:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hall

Ahh building things in the kitchen,  brings back fond memories.

twotone

twotone

Swami805

I bought something on the eberg and the guy had a  4/0 Newell aluminum stand for bid so I put $6 on it and shipping was free. I don't really need it but got it for a spare,if you want it to complete your Newell set on the 4/0 let me know. I should have it next week. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

rippin_lips

Quote from: Swami805 on November 25, 2016, 05:30:24 AM
I bought something on the eberg and the guy had a  4/0 Newell aluminum stand for bid so I put $6 on it and shipping was free. I don't really need it but got it for a spare,if you want it to complete your Newell set on the 4/0 let me know. I should have it next week. Sheridan

Didn't see this until now. Thanks for the offer but I'm just going to use the original stand.

rippin_lips

I didn't feel the need to start another thread, but I'm on another 113H project. Bought a tiburon frame and spool from an AT member. Then I found a donor reel on the old fleabay for under $50. Turned out to be in good shape and everything looks clean inside. Gears are nice and clean and all the drag washers are clean and not fused together. Not quite sure exactly where this one will end up. I'm thinking of doing the second dog with the Dremel and of course adding the frame. Not sure what else I will do.

P.s. I found the Belleville washer on top of the drag stack inside the reel

Alto Mare

Looks like you caught the bug ;D. The belleville being on top of the drag stack  is normal on those.
Enjoy your builds.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

rippin_lips

Everything got a soak in simple green and came out looking great. The internals were really in good shape in this reel.  The harness lugs are pretty loose, is this normal? Also the eccentric lever isn't clearing the side plate screw. Anybody have any levers with more clearance? Or should I see if a different screw sits more flush? Anyways, this reel is turning out really nice and I think it deserves some upgrades under the hood soon.

Joey

Alto Mare

That reel looks new, great job! The eccentric lever looks good to me, see if the screw has some rough spots on the slot, maybe try another screw there. Also, make sure the eccentric screw is tight.
If it still does the same, you could gently bend the lever a little, it doesn't take much.
As for the harness lugs, it's normal. If it bothers you a little shot of silicone would help, or a shim. I would let it go.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

sdlehr

Unless you are going to use this harnessed-up, the loose harness lugs won't matter. Being the perfectionist that I am, I would make some shims and firm them up, but it'sn not necessary unless they'll be used.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

ez2cdave

Quote from: sdlehr on January 05, 2017, 04:12:52 PM
Unless you are going to use this harnessed-up, the loose harness lugs won't matter. Being the perfectionist that I am, I would make some shims and firm them up, but it'sn not necessary unless they'll be used.

Sid

Guys,

I have a 113HLW on a TIBURON frame with ACCURATE sideplates and have the problem of one of the Harness Lugs "wiggling around" . . . What do you guys recommend about making shims . . . Materials, etc ?

Tight Lines !

thorhammer

Hey Dave, can you get a Teflon washer from HD or lowes and snad edge to fit within?

ez2cdave

Quote from: thorhammer on March 10, 2017, 08:41:16 PM
Hey Dave, can you get a Teflon washer from HD or lowes and snad edge to fit within?

That sounds like an interesting option . . . I don't know if it would loosen up, over time, with the Teflon being compressed.

Thanks & Tight Lines !

RowdyW

I'd cut a shim out of a soda or beer can. Easy to cut with a pair of scissors after drilling a hole for the screw.               Rudy

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on March 11, 2017, 01:37:59 AM
I'd cut a shim out of a soda or beer can. Easy to cut with a pair of scissors after drilling a hole for the screw.               Rudy

Rudy,

A simple, elegant solution . . . I'll give it a try !

Tight Lines !

thorhammer

I'd rather make an empty beer can than drive to HD...