113H gets a face lift

Started by rippin_lips, November 14, 2016, 01:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rippin_lips

My dad had an old crusty 113H that he said he bought at a garage sale many years ago. It has been used and abused and still functioned fine but didn't look so good. I didn't want to put a ton of money into it but I found some nice side plates with clean chrome rings, bearings, gears and all. I would use the handle and bars from the old reel, and use the best internals from the two sets. Both plates had the drags accessible from the outside. The "new" plates had old crap drag washers but the old reel had 5 useable carbon drag washers. What is the drag washer arrangement supposed to be? I can only fit 5 carbon washers with 2 eared and 2 keyed washers. On top of the 5th carbon washer sits the big thick top hat looking piece and then Belleville and star. Is this correct? I will show some before pictures, but I'm waitinng on a new aluminum spool to do the final after assembly.

RowdyW

You will need 3 keyed & 2 eared washers. The order going into the main gear are, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed, CF, eared, CF, keyed. You might need 1 extra keyed washer on top of the stack if you need more height. The drag stack has to end with a keyed washer then the top hat, then bellville, then star, then handle.       Rudy

rippin_lips

That's what I thought, but when I do that the stack is very high. I took these washers out so they should go back in, I'm kinda confused. I'll have to mess with it some more.

Bill B

RL...you might try soaking the spool in 50/50 vinegar/water for a couple hours and see what comes of it....  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

rippin_lips

Quote from: TARFU on November 14, 2016, 04:34:08 PM
RL...you might try soaking the spool in 50/50 vinegar/water for a couple hours and see what comes of it....  Bill

I'm cleaning up everything with vinegar and simple green. I'll have spare parts left over, but I wanted to have a nice aluminum spool.

RowdyW

Quote from: rippin_lips on November 14, 2016, 11:55:31 AM
That's what I thought, but when I do that the stack is very high. I took these washers out so they should go back in, I'm kinda confused. I'll have to mess with it some more.
The last keyed washer will be above the lip of the gear but it can't go anywhere & doesn't need the support of the gear to work correctly.     Rudy

mo65

Quote from: RowdyW on November 14, 2016, 05:47:17 PM
Quote from: rippin_lips on November 14, 2016, 11:55:31 AM
The last keyed washer will be above the lip of the gear but it can't go anywhere & doesn't need the support of the gear to work correctly.     Rudy

Good point Rudy. It sounds like that might be rippin' lips' concern...the washers resting above the gear. As long as that last eared washer is inside the gear...all is well.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

rippin_lips

The mail showed up with the finishing touches, a newell spool and spacer bars.  The bars aren't perfect but don't look bad.  I'm thinking of painting them though. Here's the final product....

steelfish

great face lift buddy

I see you got also some newer rings too
The Baja Guy

rippin_lips

Quote from: steelfish on November 23, 2016, 01:57:33 AM
great face lift buddy

I see you got also some newer rings too

Yes the old reel donated some parts but I replaced side plates and rings.

Bill B

RL great work on the old reel....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Tiddlerbasher

Alto Mare

Nice job on that 4/0 rippin lips. The grilling add got me a little confused, couldn't really see the parts. Kept seeing peanuts, chicken and pork chops, but the end results look really nice :).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Nice work. Cant have too many 4/0's. Nobody argue with me. :)

rippin_lips

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 23, 2016, 12:15:17 PM
Nice job on that 4/0 rippin lips. The grilling add got me a little confused, couldn't really see the parts. Kept seeing peanuts, chicken and pork chops, but the end results look really nice :).

My girlfriend wouldn't be too happy if I got old grease everywhere  :D