Penn 209 reels

Started by long haired country boy, November 14, 2016, 01:57:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

long haired country boy

New to forum & new at repairing my own reels. Had sent some reels to Alan for repairs & after talking with for a while he started encouraging me to do the repairs myself. He sent the reels back to me with the parts that I needed  the rest is history. Not sure if I need to cuss Alan out or thank for pushing to learn[LOL] because this stuff is very addictive. My question, does anyone know if they make stainless steel main, pinion gears, & sleeves for the 209?      Thanks                     Wendell

Shark Hunter

Welcome Wendell!,
SS Sleeves are available for the 209. You need a 98-155.
Tom has some. http://www.cortezconversions.com/ss-gear-sleeves
You can also get them at Mystic Reel Parts.
As far as the gears. Other penn models will interchange in steel. The monofil series and the Beachmaster 155.
These usually have steel gears, but I would replace the main and pinon as a set. I think the ratio is slightly different.
Check out the penn tutorial section and look at some 209 rebuilds.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=16175.0
I'm sure other members will chime in to give you more options.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Life is Good!

long haired country boy

Hey, thanks Shark Hunter for the advice. What I am trying to do is make this reel strong enough that I can walk on the St. Simons Island pier here in Georgia & catch 4-6 ft.sharks with an old cheap reel & make those young bucks with the high dollar reels turn green with envy. But evently I'll tell them what I've got. BTW, what is that reel that you are holding?

akfish

You can dig up a steel main gear if you are lucky and look hard enough, but I'd just get a new set of gears from Penn (via MysticParts). The new main gears are not steel but are a bit faster than the old 003-155 and 013-155 gears. And if you fish too heavy drag and shred your gears, just get a new set.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

wendell, welcome!  i have the 98-155's back in stock.  ping me with your address again and i can send them out.   oh, and i did warn you that this stuff would be addicting!  ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

WoooHooo....we got another to turn to the Darkside.....Welcome Wendall
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

Welcome Wendell. While the ol' 209 might not be the first choice to land a shark...it can be done. Check out this cool thread describing the maximum performance you can expect from that reel. 8)

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=12247.0
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Tightlines667

Welcome aboard!

Lots of knowledge here.  You may want to read Alan's thread on hiw not to spend too much on your reels before it's too late.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

Quote from: Tightlines666 on November 14, 2016, 05:48:33 PM
Welcome aboard!

Lots of knowledge here.  You may want to read Alan's thread on how not to spend too much on your reels before it's too late.

oh, we had that talk and it didn't work!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

Naw. I swore I wasn't going to hotrod jig masters. Then down the rabbit hole....

Keta

Hi, 

Glad to see a new addict.... :D

I occasionaly have SS anti reverse dogs available.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

handi2

I have a steel main gear i can send to you. Just use the PM button to send me your address. Ill make sure the main and pinion gear are a matched set. I might just send a whole parts reel.

I have the SS gear sleeve too if you dont get it from Alan.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL