Full servicing/cleaning/rebuild of my 9/0

Started by biggiesmalls, November 28, 2016, 01:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: biggiesmalls on November 30, 2016, 12:02:05 AM
Eventually, I would like to purchase one of every size senator (1/0 through 16/0, it skips a few like 5/0, 7/0, 8/0, 11/0, 13/0, and 15/0 I believe) and find time and money to rebuild them, plus rebuild an old rod for each of them. Some day, some day :)
Unfortunately it appears that there is no cure for this illness...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

biggiesmalls

Quote from: sdlehr on November 30, 2016, 12:14:19 AM
Quote from: biggiesmalls on November 30, 2016, 12:02:05 AM
Eventually, I would like to purchase one of every size senator (1/0 through 16/0, it skips a few like 5/0, 7/0, 8/0, 11/0, 13/0, and 15/0 I believe) and find time and money to rebuild them, plus rebuild an old rod for each of them. Some day, some day :)
Unfortunately it appears that there is no cure for this illness...

Sid
Who said I wanted to be cured ;)

broadway

Welcome aboard, Biggie!
I like your enthusiasm... now get dirty! ;)
Enjoy your new addiction... I mean hobby.
Dom

biggiesmalls

Hello everyone! OP here.

I am hoping to purchase new parts sometime by the end of the week, so that it can be rebuilt and respooled soon. I am also going to be working with thorhammer (hopefully) to do some work on the rod. Mainly re-coloring it and possibly replacing some of the guides on there, if they're not looking too hot. Did I mention the rod's white, orange, blue, and purple?

So, I need some advice on which way to go with the part to purchase. At first, I was planning on buying:

• Drag washer kit from Bryan Young - $37
  • 4-1/8" molded tubber T-bar handle and arm blank from SmoothDrag - somewhere around $35-$50
  • Penn 114H SS gear sleeve from Alan Tani on Scott's Bait - $38.40
  • Penn 114H SS dog from SmoothDrag - $3.50

However then I found a kit from SmoothDrag for $105 even, made for the Penn 114H (which seems to be the same parts as used in the 115). The kit has stainless steel main and pinion gears, a carbontex drag washer set, a flat metal washer set, a stainless steel pinion yoke, and a stainless steel dog. It's the second one down on this page: http://www.smoothdrag.com/gear_sets.html

My "budget" on this project is $130 - I saw budget in quotation marks because after the holidays, I got a little extra cash so I might be willing to chip in a bit more money. Not a lot though - to stay on the safe side, let's say I have a $150 budget for everything - getting the reel spooled, recoloring the rod (not putting on new guides, I'll include extra if I have to do that since it's a bit more expensive), and fixing up the reel.

So far, I know that the reel will have 60 pound mono, with a 100-yard topshot of 80 pound. This shouldn't cost too much money, and I am going to be getting it done at the local tackle shop - so I'll probably pay by the yard for it. I have heard that there should be a little bit of braid underneath the monofilament so that the spool doesn't get warped - is that necessary or no? I've got an aluminum spool if that helps with anything.

The rod is going to be painted over completely, I plan to use this stuff in "skid mark black" (http://www.colorbondpaint.com/collections/car-interior-paint-car-upholstery-paint/products/seat-stylin-7) for the foam grips and plain black Rust-O-Leum to paint the rest of the rod. I plan on polishing the guides and the reel seat and keeping them a chrome color, while the rest of the rod will be black. If I feel I can work it into the budget, I may get blue accents painted on the rod - but that's not a main concern at the moment. Thank you to John (thorhammer) for helping me out with this part - I didn't forget about you, I'll send you some pics of the guides (and entire rod) later tonight :)

Sorry for my incredibly long post - but in the end, what I am asking is this - should I purchase an entire stainless steel internals kit for $105 (includes drag upgrade, my main priority) along with a new handle, or should I just purchase a stainless steel gear sleeve and dog, as well as a drag upgrade kit (maybe not from Bryan to save some money, probably from SmoothDrag) and new handle. I will look for a handle arm cheaper, the grip I'm wanting is only $18. Which would be more worth it to purchase, in your opinions?

Thank you to everone who has assisted me.

thorhammer

I'd get the kit and then the handle you absolutely want, even if you have to a wait a minute for it. Call me this week. There is a better can than rustoleum fur this if you aren't going to put a clear fiiish over it. I'll see where I may be of assistance if saves you a few bucks.

John

Shark Hunter

There are many different directions you can go with your build.
The Kit from smoothdrag is a nice addition, but it is missing the most important upgrade, which is a stainless sleeve.
That is the core of the reel and the most important in my experience.
I would go with stock everything as long as the sleeve was in there.
Life is Good!

mley1

These guys know what they're doing. I've learned a lot from all of them. You can spend a LOT of money on parts doing a build. The parts these guys put together are the best, and tested. Take some pics along the way so we can see your progress.

I just completed a build on a 113H. I think you'll find that sometimes you may run across some minor fitting issues with new parts. Just take your time. I had to take mine apart a few times to figure out what was going on. Once it was done there was a lot of satisfaction in the fact that I did it on my own. I did a lot of studying though. I read most of the related threads here on AT. And, the expertise these guys put into their tutorials was invaluable. I probably would have never attempted a build without the folks here on Alantanti.com. Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress!
Good luck fishing,

Marty

thorhammer

I wasn't paying close attention. I thought the kit had the SS sleeve. I agree 100percent with Daron. Sleeve and drags before all else and you have a very very capable reel. If you go braiding it and put on a power handle there is a chance you will round off the brass sleeve. The second 9/0 I got had this damage.

Get those pics of the rod up and let's see what you've got to work with.

John

biggiesmalls

Okay, so no to that gear kit then - since I can't afford the kit and the sleeve. So I will probably be purchasing the following for the reel:

• Stainless steel gear sleeve and dog
  • New handle and arm
  • Carbon fiber drag set

As well as a few new screws, since a few of them are bent. I will be removing the dirt, rust, and/or corrosion from all of the metal parts, internal and external. Then I will attempt to polish all the external parts as well, for aesthetics. After that's complete, I guess I can finally start putting this thing back together :)

Pics of the rod coming shortly. The rollers are bent in a few spots, but only the wire on one side - they appear to be fine, replacing them doesn't sound worth it - since I could just build my own rod for a little bit more money.

thorhammer

have you opened it yet? you may have a steel gear already.

biggiesmalls

biggiesmalls

How do I add images?

biggiesmalls

Figured it out. Here are the guides, including the tip top. Missing a picture of one of them

BryanC

Quote from: biggiesmalls on January 03, 2017, 02:51:06 PM
Okay, so no to that gear kit then - since I can't afford the kit and the sleeve. So I will probably be purchasing the following for the reel:

• Stainless steel gear sleeve and dog
  • New handle and arm
  • Carbon fiber drag set

Regarding the drag, are you looking to increase the drag capacity from a stock 9/0, or just upgrade to modern materials?  Bryan's kit is a 7+1 drag system, and would give you a lot of drag power.  If you just want modern materials, you could buy stock HT-100 drags from MysticParts for 11.05 plus shipping.
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114HSP.aspx

I'm not trying to talk you out of Bryan's kit.  I have a couple of his 5+1 kits in jigmasters and they are great!  But if you don't need the extra drag, you could save a few bucks.  The stock drag washers in a 9/0 may be adequate for fishing 60-80 lb test.

With either Bryan's kit or the stock drag washers, I would make sure to lube them with Cal's drag grease or a similar product.

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

biggiesmalls

I am looking to upgrade my drag capabilities in this reel, so I plan to go with a heavier drag system. Will the one from Smooth Drags give me any extra drag power? It's $19, which is about half of the cost of Bryan's. It looks similar to Three Se7ens (dont' think I spelled his username correctly), which was able to put out 65-70 pounds at max - and worked pretty smoothly up until 30-35 pounds. So hopefully this $19 kit will at least increase my max drag output to something close to that. I am going to send them an email tonight to see what I can expect to get out of the reel.

Once I decide on the drags, I will place my order. I'm going to order a 4-1/8" molded rubber handle and a new arm, a stainless steel dog, some Cal's universal reel grease, and probably the drag system from Smooth Drags. I'll buy a stainless steel gear sleeve from Scott's Bait and Tackle. Should put me at about $110, give or take. Which will give me $20-$40 for some paint for the rod, and hopefully I can find something around the house to polish the metal parts of the reel.

Does using vinegar and a cotton ball, then fine grit sandpaper (for the especially hard-to-clean parts) sound like a good idea for cleaning everything? Obviously a heavy rinsing with freshwater after using the vinegar. I think the only parts I will buy new are the screws that go into the rod harness (since one of them is bent, and having one new and one old would look weird) and then any parts that for whatever reason will not get cleaned.

One last thing - the reel is spooled with some old dacron line, can anyone think of a possible use for it? Seems like a lot of line to just throw away, but I'm going to get rid of it all anyways. Maybe I can save a bit of it and double, triple, quadruple, etc. it up to make a tail rope. Or maybe something for the kayaks. I don't know, anyone have any ideas?