Full servicing/cleaning/rebuild of my 9/0

Started by biggiesmalls, November 28, 2016, 01:25:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biggiesmalls

Perhaps I should put the entire reel together, and send the whole thing to be powder coated.

I can just tell him to use a protective covering or something over the plastic side plates, spool, etc. And try and cover up the internals.
Would that work?

sdlehr

I don't know the answer to that, but it might help for the person doing the powder coating to understand how each piece relates to the others before things get too far.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

RowdyW

Quote from: biggiesmalls on January 23, 2017, 02:51:40 PM
Perhaps I should put the entire reel together, and send the whole thing to be powder coated.

I can just tell him to use a protective covering or something over the plastic side plates, spool, etc. And try and cover up the internals.
Would that work?
No, he would have to disassemble the reel to clean & prep the parts. certain parts like the star wheel would need a plug in the threaded hole to protect the paint from entering the threads. A handle has to have the knob removed etc. All parts must be painted indivigually. It's not as simple of an operation as you think. Plus it has to be baked in an oven. Certain parts can be taped before spraying & the tape removed before baking like the ratchet & shafts on the ends of the spool. You need to do your homework on powder coating before having it done. Also all pitting will have to be ground & polished out because the pitting will look 10 times worse after powder coating. The coating will not fill any pitting only enhance it. These are just some of the problems you are going to have. Maybe you might be better off getting out a spray can of paint and do it that way.

PacRat

Do a search for this thread: "Topic: More adventures in powder coating". You'll find some good information there.
Genral Maintenance Tips > General Procedures > Topic: More adventures in powder coating
-Mike

sdlehr

Quote from: PacRat on January 23, 2017, 05:22:28 PM
Do a search for this thread: "Topic: More adventures in powder coating". You'll find some good information there.
Genral Maintenance Tips > General Procedures > Topic: More adventures in powder coating
-Mike
It's here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=9622.0
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

biggiesmalls

Thank you Rudy, Sid, and Mike. I read over that thread and it's shown me a lot.

I spoke with him (actually his wife) today, and quickly learned that putting the reel together and having the entire thing powder coated isn't a viable idea.

Sounds like I need to remove all of the chrome from the parts, and then have them powder coated. Silicone plugs on the larger threaded parts, and perhaps "sacrificial screws" on the things like posts, plus painters tape or something similar on the screws (if I choose to have them done).

I will speak with my powder coater more at some point to see what he would recommend doing, as well as explaining how the reel works - so there are no confusions between us about what parts do.
I am not having the handle powder coated, as it's already a black handle arm. I will probably send the screws to him though to get done. I'm blacking this thing out, save for the spool.

biggiesmalls

Well, this build is finally coming together. I've got the parts to be powder coated sorted out (won't ruin the surprise of the color scheme yet, I'll just post a pic when it's finished), will be bringing those in tomorrow. Rod was dropped off with John today as well, so that'll be done soon. Again, won't reveal details about that rod yet but it's going to be a BEAST. After the parts are done I will get everything some new grease/lube on it, throw it back together with the new parts, and get it filled with some 60# mono. And by then the new rod should be done too ;)

Will post pics as it gets done